• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    I know it is on here somewhere but can't find it.

I have a 18yr old son and want to know if he is legal to carry a hand gun in his truck to go to the club and shoot? or open carry when he is bow hunting? or hunt with a hand gun?. He is not a felon or even had a speeding ticket.

Before some say i should not turn my son loose with a handgun, He is a very responsible adult, He was a State trap shooting Camp. at 16 and has many guns of his own. Has shot more than most on this forum. I trust him more than alot of guys i have hunted and shot with in the past. We live in a part of the state with alot of wild dogs and coyotes. I worry about him bow hunting. Is it ok him to carry his 9mm for protection? What if he gets stopped with it in his truck?

I ask a local LEO friend and he said to check with the DNR boys:dunno:

Any ideas?

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    If he's a responsible adult.. then why doesn't he have his LTCH??
    that should answer all of your questions

and absolutly not if he doesn't have his LTCH, he can't have it on his person at anytime, now the wonderful leader of our country approved it, and he's allowed to have it in his truck. but other that that i think you're stuck

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If he's a responsible adult.. then why doesn't he have his LTCH??
    that should answer all of your questions

and absolutly not if he doesn't have his LTCH, he can't have it on his person at anytime, now the wonderful leader of our country approved it, and he's allowed to have it in his truck. but other that that i think you're stuck

I think you still need to have a LTCH, even to carry a gun unloaded in your truck, unless you are going to the range or coming back from the range.
    Or coming directly from a place where you bought the gun (FFL or private sale).
    I could be wrong on that. :dunno:

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    IC 35-47-2-3

(g) A license to carry a handgun shall not be issued to any person who:
    (1) has been convicted of a felony;
    (2) has had a license to carry a handgun suspended, unless the person's license has been reinstated;
    (3) is under eighteen (18) years of age;
    (4) is under twenty-three (23) years of age if the person has been adjudicated a delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult; or
    (5) has been arrested for a Class A or Class B felony, or any other felony that was committed while armed with a deadly weapon or that involved the use of violence, if a court has found probable cause to believe that the person committed the offense charged.
    Indiana Code 35-47-2

It would seem as though he would meet that code, so they shall issue him one if he follows the steps right. He only needs to be 21 for a handgun purchase from a dealer.

Carry of a handgun on state lands if you've got your LTCH is ok, but if you have a long gun it needs to accompany a hunting permit and be in the firearm season (in layman's terms). The DNR website covers this in the FAQs and almost all park brochures explain the "properly licensed handgun" exception and the DNR has their rules in PDF form on their website as well.

As to it being in the truck in a manner in accordance with federal guidelines without a permit, well you can look that up it'll be with the batch of laws having taken effect July 1, 2011; but if he gets his LTCH that point is moot.

Last edited:

dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    IC 35-47-2-3

Indiana Code 35-47-2

It would seem as though he would meet that code, so they shall issue him one if he follows the steps right. He only needs to be 21 for a handgun purchase from a dealer.

Carry of a handgun on state lands if you've got your LTCH is ok, but if you have a long gun it needs to accompany a hunting permit and be in the firearm season (in layman's terms). The DNR website covers this in the FAQs and almost all park brochures explain the "properly licensed handgun" exception and the DNR has their rules in PDF form on their website as well.
    he has this right. 18 to carry and 21 to buy from dealer.

Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    OK, Sorry guys I thought he had to be 21 for the LTCH... I thought it was changed afew years ago and you could only get a target and hunting permit at 18....and the did away with that... I will send him to see the Sheriff tomorrow.... Thanks Guys and sorry for being stupid about the laws.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    OK, Sorry guys I thought he had to be 21 for the LTCH... I thought it was changed afew years ago and you could only get a target and hunting permit at 18....and the did away with that... I will send him to see the Sheriff tomorrow.... Thanks Guys and sorry for being stupid about the laws.

You didn't get stupid, we are all here to learn, and you didn't let him carry without a LTCH.THAT would have been stupid. :yesway:

Make sure he knows where he can and cannot carry once he get a LTCH, even with a LTCH you can get in serious trouble if you carry in the wrong place (where it's illegal like schools and such).

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    One of those funny laws. Can't purchase a handgun till you are 21. But you can get a LTCH at 18. Have him get one!

At 18 he can purchase one from an individual, just not a dealer. He can also be "gifted" the pistol as well. Both completely legal. At 18 you can even buy Class 3 items as well but only from an individual, not a dealer. IANAL and not trying to preach, but I agree with the other posts as to getting his LTCH.

And for what it's worth, this is an internet forum-do not take legal advice (or any advice for that matter) without re-affirming it yourself. Because if someone is wrong (sometimes accidentally) YOU will be going to jail not them. Not trying to step on anyone's toes or anything like that just make sure you do your research and carry on! :ingo: :woot:

Edit: none of this was directed directly at you pinshooter, just giving my 2 cents!

Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    You didn't get stupid, we are all here to learn, and you didn't let him carry without a LTCH.THAT would have been stupid. :yesway:

Make sure he knows where he can and cannot carry once he get a LTCH, even with a LTCH you can get in serious trouble if you carry in the wrong place (where it's illegal like schools and such).
    I will make sure he knows what he is able to do.....Thanks for all the help

Booshie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I've got to wait 3 more months until my 18th birthday, and I'm getting it as soon as I can. It seems crazy to some people, but I grew up around guns, and can handle them responsibly.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I will make sure he knows what he is able to do.....Thanks for all the help

Dont forget to tell him to join INGO, his LTCH will be almost worthless if he's not a INGO menber. :D
    Makes sure he knows, not only where he can and cannot carry, but also when he can and cannot use his gun for protection.
    He HAS to know carry laws, self defense laws, use of deadly force laws and all those stuff.
    Make sure he understands those laws.Carrying a deadly weapon is serious business just like knowing when you can legally use it.
    It's not just about getting the pink paper, once he gets it he still has lots of homework to do.

:twocents:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I've got to wait 3 more months until my 18th birthday, and I'm getting it as soon as I can. It seems crazy to some people, but I grew up around guns, and can handle them responsibly.

What would seem crazy to me is an 18 years old adult without a LTCH. ;)
    During those 3 months you have time to study the law and learn as much as you can on INGO. :yesway:

Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    No need to apologize, it'll be comforting to know there's another good gun on the streets:ingo:

If he can afford it, have him get the lifetime; much cheaper in the long run.
    He will get the life time. and he is very good with a gun. He has been looking on here for years with my computer. Thanks again guys

Top Bottom