• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pepi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Hartford City 47348
    How about this question .... If she bought the gun and gives it to him as a gift can he have it then registered in his name? He really doesn't want the gun registered to his Mother.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    How about this question .... If she bought the gun and gives it to him as a gift can he have it then registered in his name? He really doesn't want the gun registered to his Mother.
    Indiana doesn't have a gun registry.
    If mom buys the gun her name will be in the initial background check and that is it. When mom hands the gun to son. There is no more paperwork to be done.

However I would suggest he at least write down the make, model, caliber, serial number,and cost of the firearm and keep it in a safe place in case it's lost ,stolen or falls off a boat somewhere.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    My son turned 18 in 2020, as soon as he did, he applied for his LTCH, almost at the same time we found a deal for a shield 9mm, at RK, I bought it for him, not saying anything to them, but I was giving the gun for my son's birthday/graduation. He possessed the gun, but was not allowed to carry til he got his LTCH. Still planning on taking him for a concealed carry class, but the covid 1984 has messed stuff up. He is mature for his age, and has been trained for years about proper carry, being responsible, not useing the gun to solve a problem, unless it can't be avoided, and NO brandishing... Now he is asking about a smaller "polite" carry gun..( I'm so proud of this young man!!)

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I had this same discussion yesterday with a young salesman in the gun department of a large retailer. He stated he would like to have [Sig P365] that I was going to purchase, but he was only 19 and couldn't have it. I stated that a parent, etc. could gift it to him, he just couldn't purchase it.

Ended up I couldn't purchase the Sig P365 either as I had just renewed my drivers license and they wouldn't accept my paper temporary license. Oh well, I didn't really need the gun, just wanted it!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    No surprise big box stores have a zero tolerance policy for anything that even whiffs of a private sale.

Several years back I sold off a Taurus 709 to a 19-year-old either from here or from Armslist. He was respectful, completely up front and honest in the emails about what his situation was, knew the relevant laws, and showed up with up-to-date ID and LTCH. Turned out to be a memorable transaction just for how easy and pleasant it was.

Probably a lot harder to do with the market situation now, but just being honest, conducting yourself like a human being, and knowing the law can go a long way toward persuading someone to help. But in OP's case, the answer is to just keep your mouth shut and don't go blabbing more information to the FFL than they need to know. What you do after point of sale is your business.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Incorrect.
    They can NOT purchase from a FFL.
    They CAN do a private sale, such as buying from someone here

You are right and wrong.

If you read my entire post, you will see that I stated that specifically about FFL's.

For your comprehension pleasure.....
    Federal law prohibits anyone under the age of 21 from purchasing a handgun from an FFL, not from owning one. Since Indiana law does not align with federal law, this creates a odd situation for 18-20 year old's. They can own and carry handguns, but they cannot purchase them.

You are correct regarding private sales. However, that is not what the OP was posting about! The OP was posting about a parent purchasing for a child...NOT a private sale directly to the child.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Instead of answering the question in an exacting limited way, maybe explain the laws so that the OP might be better able to understand his/her decision.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Instead of answering the question in an exacting limited way, maybe explain the laws so that the OP might be better able to understand his/her decision.
    My apologies for relating the pertinent information regarding the original question asked.

I will attempt to include excessive information and ramble more in future posts per your instructions.

Mike Maddox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Otterbein
    Yea, the laws are confusing. As others have said, she should have not said what she did. Have gifted a number of firearms. There are some States, like New York, that are even worse.

Top Bottom