• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andrewjames124

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Ok, I am 19 years old and have my LTCH and I have been looking around on the WTS sections of this site and have seen a few handguns that I wouldn't mind owning. Can I legally buy a handgun off of somebody on this site since it would be a private sale? And if i could, would I legally be allowed to carry it?

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    You can buy a handgun private sale at 18, you have to be 21 to buy from an FFL (gun store). If you have your ltch and it wasnt a straw purchase (u pay someone to buy one for you) then its completely legal.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Ok, I am 19 years old and have my LTCH and I have been looking around on the WTS sections of this site and have seen a few handguns that I wouldn't mind owning. Can I legally buy a handgun off of somebody on this site since it would be a private sale? And if i could, would I legally be allowed to carry it?

Short answers, Yes & Yes.

After of course you hit 50 posts or become a Site Supporter.

Welcome to the forum, and good on you for taking reponsibilty of your own personal protection.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I think the age for private handgun sales/purchases is 18?

Indiana Code 35-47-2
    IC 35-47-2-7
    Prohibited sales or transfers of ownership
    Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a

person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    You can buy a handgun private sale at 18, you have to be 21 to buy from an FFL (gun store). If you have your ltch and it wasnt a straw purchase (u pay someone to buy one for you) then its completely legal.

Short answers, Yes & Yes.

After of course you hit 50 posts or become a Site Supporter.

Welcome to the forum, and good on you for taking reponsibilty of your own personal protection.

I think the age for private handgun sales/purchases is 18?

Indiana Code 35-47-2

what they said

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville

Welcome, and what are you shopping around for? What guns are catching your eye?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The IN law says min. 18 years old for a private sale...

But that doesn't stop individuals from choosing not to sell to those under 21.

-J-

andrewjames124

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Thanks everyone.

And guns like glock 26 or 27, or the ruger lcp is what I've been looking at. I'm a pretty small guy so I need something like that. I have a springfield xd subcompact that I got as a gift, but I figure there's no such thing as too many guns.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    Thanks everyone.

And guns like glock 26 or 27, or the ruger lcp is what I've been looking at. I'm a pretty small guy so I need something like that. I have a springfield xd subcompact that I got as a gift, but I figure there's no such thing as too many guns.
    I carry a G-26, and love it, and no there is no such a thing as too many guns.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    ... but I figure there's no such thing as too many guns.

Yep, you're in the right place. :rockwoot:

FWIW, while I like my G27, there are quite a few fantastic carry pieces available these days. Fortunately, a good deal of the enjoyment of firearms comes from the research. If you're anywhere near a meet & shoot, or you have friends who frequent the shooting range, take the opportunity to shoot as many different pistols as you can. In spite of it being such a potentially dangerous place, most people at the range are the friendliest and hospitable I've met ...in spite of any spin the media might offer.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Yep, you're in the right place. :rockwoot:

FWIW, while I like my G27, there are quite a few fantastic carry pieces available these days. Fortunately, a good deal of the enjoyment of firearms comes from the research. If you're anywhere near a meet & shoot, or you have friends who frequent the shooting range, take the opportunity to shoot as many different pistols as you can. In spite of it being such a potentially dangerous place, most people at the range are the friendliest and hospitable I've met ...in spite of any spin the media might offer.

I very much agree with you. While i am not new to handguns i am just now getting "into" them. I have enjoyed this website and going into the gun stores around Indy very much. The people i have met at the more reputable gun stores have been great people and i have had some good conversations.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It shouldn't be an issue and it makes zero sense, but sellers can restrict their own sales beyond the legal limitations without reason if they so choose.

Pretty much.

I've come across two adds by the same feller...relatively new INGOer.

I like to send little messages through the Rep system; so I rep'd him and let him know that the IN law was 18 years old for private sale.

No biggie to me...I'm well past 18. But I can see that someone's ignorance of the law would cause them to err on the side of caution.

-J-

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I don't mean to be a prick, but if I was the seller I don't think I could handle selling to someone under 21, unless they had just come out of the military, or I knew them personally, and trusted that they were mature for their age. Maybe if they had a couple adult references I could be persuaded. So, yea, you should definitely tell them up front your age, because they might have reservations like mine. I certainly wasn't mature enough at 18-23, but everyone is different.

Even if you don't have a permit, you can still buy a pistol and take it home or to the range to shoot. But without a permit, I am told you must travel with it unloaded and locked in the trunk.

Last edited:

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I don't mean to be a prick, but if I was the seller I don't think I could handle selling to someone under 21, unless they had just come out of the military, or I knew them personally, and trusted that they were mature for their age. Maybe if they had a couple adult references I could be persuaded. So, yea, you should definitely tell them up front your age, because they might have reservations like mine. I certainly wasn't mature enough at 18-23, but everyone is different.

Even if you don't have a permit, you can still buy a pistol and take it home or to the range to shoot. But without a permit, I am told you must travel with it unloaded and locked in the trunk.

Good point. I personally wouldn't sell any gun to my 24 year old self.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I don't mean to be a prick, but if I was the seller I don't think I could handle selling to someone under 21, unless...

Like I said, you don't need a reason to regulate your own sales however you want.

Just don't be surprised when the antis use the same arguments in their attempts to further restrict sales and infringe on our RKBA.

Top Bottom