• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I don't mean to be a prick, but if I was the seller I don't think I could handle selling to someone under 21, unless they had just come out of the military, or I knew them personally, and trusted that they were mature for their age. Maybe if they had a couple adult references I could be persuaded. So, yea, you should definitely tell them up front your age, because they might have reservations like mine. I certainly wasn't mature enough at 18-23, but everyone is different.

Even if you don't have a permit, you can still buy a pistol and take it home or to the range to shoot. But without a permit, I am told you must travel with it unloaded and locked in the trunk.
    I'd say his ltch would be all the adult references that I would need.
    If I was under 21 and I traveled to meet someone to buy a hand gun and they refused to sell when I'm legal, is be P'd! I'd probably get banned from the site for the things I said about that person. Legal is legal. Now if I had reason to believe he was not a proper person, like he reeked of marijuana, eyes bloodshot, hat on crooked, pants down to his knees...that's a different story.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks everyone.

And guns like glock 26 or 27, or the ruger lcp is what I've been looking at. I'm a pretty small guy so I need something like that. I have a springfield xd subcompact that I got as a gift, but I figure there's no such thing as too many guns.

Lord help ya... you're one of "us"... :laugh::welcome:
    lots-o-guns.jpg

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Thanks everyone.

And guns like glock 26 or 27, or the ruger lcp is what I've been looking at. I'm a pretty small guy so I need something like that. I have a springfield xd subcompact that I got as a gift, but I figure there's no such thing as too many guns.

One is too many and 100 is not enough.

I don't mean to be a prick, but if I was the seller I don't think I could handle selling to someone under 21, unless they had just come out of the military, or I knew them personally, and trusted that they were mature for their age. Maybe if they had a couple adult references I could be persuaded. So, yea, you should definitely tell them up front your age, because they might have reservations like mine. I certainly wasn't mature enough at 18-23, but everyone is different.

Even if you don't have a permit, you can still buy a pistol and take it home or to the range to shoot. But without a permit, I am told you must travel with it unloaded and locked in the trunk.

Kind of the same thing here. I wouldn't sell to someone that was above 50 years old as you never know when dementia is going to set in or if they are some crazy that the state let slip through the cracks in the LTCH process. I also wouldn't sell to left handed people. Just don't trust them.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Good point. I personally wouldn't sell any gun to my 24 year old self.

You're all within your rights. I support your right to make the choices you described, but I disagree with your reasoning. I would not refuse to sell a gun to someone of legal age solely based on his or her being a young adult. There may be other reasons why I would not do so, but age is not sufficient, IMHO.

Like I said, you don't need a reason to regulate your own sales however you want.

Just don't be surprised when the antis use the same arguments in their attempts to further restrict sales and infringe on our RKBA.

I'd say his ltch would be all the adult references that I would need.
    If I was under 21 and I traveled to meet someone to buy a hand gun and they refused to sell when I'm legal, is be P'd! I'd probably get banned from the site for the things I said about that person. Legal is legal. Now if I had reason to believe he was not a proper person, like he reeked of marijuana, eyes bloodshot, hat on crooked, pants down to his knees...that's a different story.

Good example, only because the law specifies that delivering a handgun to such a person is a violation.

IC 35-47-2-7
    Prohibited sales or transfers of ownership
    Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.
    (b) It is unlawful for a person to sell, give, or in any manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun to another person who the person has reasonable cause to believe:
    (1) has been:
    (A) convicted of a felony; or
    (B) adjudicated a delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult, if the person seeking to obtain ownership or possession of the handgun is less than twenty-three (23) years of age;
    (2) is a drug abuser;
    (3) is an alcohol abuser; or
    (4) is mentally incompetent.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.33-1989, SEC.126; P.L.140-1994, SEC.8; P.L.269-1995, SEC.7.

Personally, I just can't see that such a person loses the right to defend him- or herself even in light of a choice to use this or that substance, the use of which has been popularly demonized.

But I guess that's just me.

Blessings,
    Bill

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Kind of the same thing here. I wouldn't sell to someone that was above 50 years old as you never know when dementia is going to set in or if they are some crazy that the state let slip through the cracks in the LTCH process. I also wouldn't sell to left handed people. Just don't trust them.
    Yea and those people under 21 that just got out of the military might have that ptsd thing too. And women never sell a gun to a woman
    I dont think I can trust anyone enough to sell them one of my guns, guess I'll just have to keep em' all

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    And women never sell a gun to a woman

Yea and those people under 21 that just got out of the military might have that ptsd thing too. And women never sell a gun to a woman
    I dont think I can trust anyone enough to sell them one of my guns, guess I'll just have to keep em' all

And-NOW-You have "Opened another Can of Worms??"

Ladys--step in+let him "Have It"..HA HA..Bill..

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I don't mean to be a prick, but if I was the seller I don't think I could handle selling to someone under 21...

You're obviously welcome to do whatever you want. I got my first gun at 5 and first handgun at 20, my little brother just got his first handgun at 18. No problems yet. Guess we must be really mature for stupid young non military children :dunno:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Thanks everyone.

And guns like glock 26 or 27, or the ruger lcp is what I've been looking at. I'm a pretty small guy so I need something like that.

Can I change your mind here? The smaller the handgun the larger the recoil. The larger the recoil the less likely you are to hit on a follow up shot. If you don't have much experience then you will likely jerk shots and hit low. This gets even worse with smaller handguns.

Try out everything before you shoot it if you can.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I am in total agreement with the law holding that a buyer must be 18 or older to purchase. I will also say that when I called the ISP about this issue, the Sarg. who answered my question said the buyer had to be 21. Of course, he also said it had to be transferred through a dealer. I don't think he really understood my question or else simply had no idea of Indiana law.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Yep, she doesn't need a gun, she needs a spatula and bacon and eggs......well I will just shut up now:laugh:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    ......well I will just shut up now

Yea, AJ, that would be a good idea! Heck the flood gate is already open..

Back to the topic:
    For me, I got married the Jan. following my 18th.birthday in '73'. I grew up in SW FL., and down there most of us "Good Ole Boys" didn't think much of all of those gun laws, that came in effect in '68', or worry about who we bought/sold guns to, let alone their age.--Man how times have changed!!
    IMO any 18-20 year old that carries themselves well, are not zipped out on any substance, and can put together more than two sentences, are a likely buyer/seller.
    I have seen more than a few college grads. that I would not sell a gun to. I have sold to 18-20 year olds, with proper ID, that I have all the confidence in the world were good people.
    To me, like has been said before, it just depends on the person..Bill

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I am in total agreement with the law holding that a buyer must be 18 or older to purchase. I will also say that when I called the ISP about this issue, the Sarg. who answered my question said the buyer had to be 21. Of course, he also said it had to be transferred through a dealer. I don't think he really understood my question or else simply had no idea of Indiana law.

Misinformed police officers!?!? Didnt know they existed...

andrewjames124

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    IMO any 18-20 year old that carries themselves well, are not zipped out on any substance, and can put together more than two sentences, are a likely buyer/seller.
    I have seen more than a few college grads. that I would not sell a gun to. I have sold to 18-20 year olds, with proper ID, that I have all the confidence in the world were good people.
    To me, like has been said before, it just depends on the person..Bill

Well in that case I should have no problem getting seller's approval :)

words to live by right there yes sir:ingo:

:patriot:

andrewjames124

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Can I change your mind here? The smaller the handgun the larger the recoil. The larger the recoil the less likely you are to hit on a follow up shot. If you don't have much experience then you will likely jerk shots and hit low. This gets even worse with smaller handguns.

Try out everything before you shoot it if you can.

Yea I get that, its just that I was planning on starting to CC once I get back from school in the communist state of illinois, and I figure I won't be able to do that very well with a larger or full sized handgun just due to my size and what I usually wear. Now when I start to OC i don't think I'll have too much of a problem with them.

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    It's not an easy road that the OP is going to deal with. I just turned 19 when I was gifted A G17. It's hard to be taken serious no matter what you do. When I decided to start shooting competitively it wasn't any easier. You will notice you are one if the youngest, if not the youngest person on the range most of the time. Be responsible and set a good image for our generation!

andrewjames124

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    It's not an easy road that the OP is going to deal with. I just turned 19 when I was gifted A G17. It's hard to be taken serious no matter what you do. When I decided to start shooting competitively it wasn't any easier. You will notice you are one if the youngest, if not the youngest person on the range most of the time. Be responsible and set a good image for our generation!

Well, I do just about all of my shooting in my backyard, so the range thing isnt really an issue, but I'm fully expecting to catch all kinds of flak from people not accepting and understanding the fact that carrying is legal for me once I start to, but reading around on here has taught me the good ways to deal with it.

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    Absolutely! This site has done wonders for my knowledge, especially when I run into people that think "I'm a kid with a gun". Do your research, and be extrememly safe due to the fact we already kinda have a bad rep going for no reason.

I especially enjoy the looks I get when I'm a range officer at a local competition. They all look like "Is this kid serious?"

Fortunately for me, I just recently turned 21 so I no longer have any age woes for the most part. Learn as much as you can, we are fortunate we got into this so early! :ingo:

Well, I do just about all of my shooting in my backyard, so the range thing isnt really an issue, but I'm fully expecting to catch all kinds of flak from people not accepting and understanding the fact that carrying is legal for me once I start to, but reading around on here has taught me the good ways to deal with it.

Top Bottom