• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Now you see, that's just not nice. And you wonder why your judgement gets questioned?

Only one questioning my judgement is you because you are saying us fathers who take their kids deer hunting on youth weekend are bad parents. Because you want "first dibs" on the deer. You are pathetic.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I know that people can abuse the youth season, but I've seen nothing but good come from it. Some kids I go to church who's dads do not hunt and want to get access to some hunting that way... I feel like they could outside of youth season but I've seen lots of kids get hunting opportunities they may not have otherwise.

And as far as the argument of it being the things that gets kids into hunting I can't disagree more. I know so many people that don't get into hunting until they get out of their parents house and on their own. Sometimes in college and other times when they are 25 and 26 years old! And I've seen it even later than that really. Guys you take hunting because they've never been and then they get hooked.

I don't care either way about youth seasons I guess. I am crazy about some hunting, but deer hunting really does just bring out the crazy in people. I've almost grown to have a dislike for it because of what I feel it's become and I've just been hunting my hunting efforts more towards other things.

Yup. That's why bow season is so much better- less crazies.
    X bow brought a bunch in though.
    Used to like the social aspect of the check in stations..............but that after hunting decent sized chunk of ground with one trusted person.
    Work gun retail and it'll dang near ruin you on gun deer season.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My dad pretty much can't stand blood. He varmint hunted, but never really got into game critters.
    My mom was neutral on the stuff (but not a fan of firearms).

I was fascinated at an early age about pioneers using "squirrel rifles"............the idea that one had a gun specifically designed for an entre'e.

Pop's says I was ate up with the idea.

So...............living with my mom and stepdad.................I got traps and caught critters in the creek and woods nearby. Mom was good looking so I got better prices for my furs when she drove me to the buyer LOL. Had a little bow, got groundhogs and rabbits with it.

Guns at dad's..............shot targets and chucks.

But I went full bore deer hunting on my own, goose hunting, coyote hunting, 3 D archery, turkey hunting.

My parents didn't get me into hunting, they really didn't push it either. I had idea since age 3..............drive kicked in bout 5th grade. Still have a bit of it left.
    They did not however discourage it.

Maybe that's the big thing.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My 3 kids and 3 stepkids..............they've eaten a ton of deer, turkey, goose rabbit and dove.
    Stepson rabbit hunted a couple times.
    Oldest daughter went with me chuck hunting from diapers to about 6th grade.
    Youngest (now 17) went dove hunting.............did go youth deer season one time, as well as turkey.
    Seems cool with the idea, but doesn't have much drive. Eh, kids can vary greatly.

She just left to go to JP to watch the cranes. Oldest went too.

They can spend hrs watching a praying mantis on the back porch.

Can't say they are really pro hunting..........they certainly aren't against it. Oldest now getting into fishing. Used to be gung ho when in elementary school, then it just faded.
    Now she's all about it.

She goes to Michigan and gets into smallmouth and she'll be ruined ;)

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Geese just flew over.
    While many folks just enjoy the sight/sound.
    My hands yearn for the heft of an 1100 Magnum.

Interest or passion?

The latter.

While an interest may develop into a passion, some folks are seemingly born to hunt.
    My stepdad was not cool with it...........not cool with a lot of stuff.
    Mom probably had a talk with him early on.

She seemed more cool with trapping (furs) than hunting though.
    Her mom had a farm, so killing stuff to eat was normal. Grandma did get pheasants off the place back in the day.
    Have no idea what shotgun she used. Tiny woman.
    She said she rather liked blasting pheasants.

Do remember Gramp's Garand on the landing down by the back door. Clip on the shelf by it.
    Sat there all the time, nobody EVER messed with it. Said it was there to shoot stray dogs getting around the livestock. Yeah right.

Nobody pushed me to hunt, fish or trap. Wasn't really around it either. Did grow up where I could roam the woods/creeks. My kids have been surrounded by it..........and I don't push. They ask to shoot about twice a yr, try new stuff and after a few mags are ready to try something else. Youngest seems the most interested. Middle, the natural shot.......least interested in hunting. Oldest............fishing.

If they ask, I'll start the process. They all (yrs ago) bowfished one summer..........rather comical.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My dad pretty much can't stand blood. He varmint hunted, but never really got into game critters.
    My mom was neutral on the stuff (but not a fan of firearms).

I was fascinated at an early age about pioneers using "squirrel rifles"............the idea that one had a gun specifically designed for an entre'e.

Pop's says I was ate up with the idea.

So...............living with my mom and stepdad.................I got traps and caught critters in the creek and woods nearby. Mom was good looking so I got better prices for my furs when she drove me to the buyer LOL. Had a little bow, got groundhogs and rabbits with it.

Guns at dad's..............shot targets and chucks.

But I went full bore deer hunting on my own, goose hunting, coyote hunting, 3 D archery, turkey hunting.

My parents didn't get me into hunting, they really didn't push it either. I had idea since age 3..............drive kicked in bout 5th grade. Still have a bit of it left.
    They did not however discourage it.

Maybe that's the big thing.

Similar to my situation. I dreamed of hunting since I was very young and had no one to take me. Both of my Grandfathers had done some hunting but neither were avid and both were too frail to take me by the time I was old enough. I don't think my Dad could kill an animal even if it were to end its suffering. I had a subscription to Field & Stream at age 7 and while I fished a lot, the hunting articles and information were what kept my attention. I never got to hunt until I joined the Army and met some friends down at Ft Hood who began showing me the ropes.

My Son has never expressed much interest and he's 21 now. He lived in TX with his Mother until coming up here for college a few years ago. I asked him if he would like to turkey hunt with me next year and he said he did. I've instructed him to find and attend a hunter safety education course before spring. If he does it I'll take him hunting, if not he's SOL. He's a big boy and if he wants to go he is going to have to put in the effort.

My Daughter is 10. I plan to take her turkey hunting next year and I'm in the process of putting together a 20ga for her now. She completed hunter safety ed this summer and did a great job. She mentions deer hunting but I don't think she's ready just yet. She has a tough time sitting still for very long. Fortunately the new spot I picked up to hunt gobblers last year yielded two dead birds within 20 minutes of setting up on two different occasions. I'm hoping for similar luck for her next year to keep her interested for the long haul.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Hunter's Ed is online.
    Used to be able to study it and do pretest for free.
    Taking the certification test was $15 (8 yrs ago last I checked).
    Think a real class to be of more benefit, but they fill up fast.
    Online available whenever.
    Only rub for a kid would be the credit card deal for online (dunno if needed up front now or how they run it).
    Heck if they take Paypal there's no excuse not to have the class done.
    IIRC back when my oldest wanted to look into it, sections might have been timed?
    Maybe not, that might be the classes my old lady teaches at the HS.
    Been a lot of beers since.

So here I am sick, dunno what wrong. What have I done today? Work on an Oneida bow, look for specs (it's not cabled right).
    Painted my .35Rem TC forend and cheekpiece (plus cleaned patio and small garden- BTW, allergic to Morning Glory so that might not be helping.....not itching. If I can shake the blahs I'll go out and shoot my recurve.

Can't hunt, couldn't even if bud here (we hunt his spot). I feel like total crap............but I'm still working on hunting and shooting stuff as I'm dying LOL. That's what being ate up with this hunting stuff is like :)

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    To get back to the original issue - I read the lengthy court summary of the charges filed and the court's determination. If I read correctly all but one charge was dismissed. The penalty for the one charge found guilty was 24 months of probation which resulted in violation of the probation terms. This is how this guy gets "punished" ?

Glad he didn't kill somebody - probably would have gotten "Man of the Year" award

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Dammit, why did we let this thread die twice? I won't stand for it!!! :soapbox:

A couple of things...

1. Is this kid a HS senior yet? I've recently accepted a job as a college admissions director and want to make sure he is blackballed for his possible participation in this heinous act.

2. Lastly, and I know I'm damn near three years late with the reply, but the reason I said the guy looked like a poacher was because the woman in the photo (assuming his wife?) looks like she'd have a big, bushy, blonde mustache if it were a closeup. That's how we determine who's a poacher or not where I come from. (north suburban Saskatoon)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    To get back to the original issue - I read the lengthy court summary of the charges filed and the court's determination. If I read correctly all but one charge was dismissed. The penalty for the one charge found guilty was 24 months of probation which resulted in violation of the probation terms. This is how this guy gets "punished" ?

Glad he didn't kill somebody - probably would have gotten "Man of the Year" award
    Looks like he got sentenced to a year on community corrections on 9-15-15.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I tried my best to read through this thread, but by page 7 or 8 I was ready to puke. I know most of you won't like what I'm about to say, but someone needs to say it and I haven't seen it yet.

The bulk you YOU here in this thread are the problem. YOU are what is so screwed up about hunting.

Most of you talk like you are PROUD of the fact that you trip over yourselves to follow every absurd invasive rule that the .gov can think up. You actually LIKE being subservient to the elitists who dictate to you what kind of bullet is or isn't acceptable to to shoot an animal, or what kind of clothing you must have, ect. - writs from the same people who go out of their way to make hunting as complicated as possible to keep the common man away from PUBLIC resources. YOU are supporting a cabal that doesn't want YOU to be able to participate in hunting without jumping through hoops like their trained terrier.

What makes the whole thing jaw dropping is that most of you have actually bought into THEIR narrative that access to the land and public resources is some kind of privilege. Many of you have allowed yourselves to be brainwashed to the point that your are invested in upholding the arbitrary regulations of an outside group who disdains you (hunters talking about how "FORTUNATE" they are the legal definition of 'poaching' was written by the government instead of by HUNTERS!).

Anyone who uses reason can easily tell I'm right - because I see the majority of hunters here saying outlandish and illogical things like 'tagging a deer you shot with unapproved equipment is STEALING' - HOW ILLOGICAL ARE YOU? If he TAGGED the deer, then he PAID for a deer tag; he put the required amount of money into the system, and took only the purchased sum of goods. Nothing was stolen: to say so is akin to saying he stole a candy bar because after he took it to the clerk and paid for it, he ate the left twix first - and the Candy Bar Appropriation Department CLEARLY states that all licensed candy consumers must eat the right twix first. A reasonable person will see how stupid that sounds. If you remove the word 'deer' from the situation and replace it with just about anything else, you sound like a crazy person. Use some common sense.

Several others of you go on to attempt to tie this to ethics or morality. What kind of twisted mental wonderland do you live in? This line of thinking reminds me of the HAM radio guys who deride families with GMRS radios as "pirate broadcasters" because they didn't fill our the little card inside the blister pack, and pay the asinine fee to the FCC to "legally" operate a radio they purchased with their money across the air that THEY live in. The same line of thinking being used by most hunters in this thread would support the FCC raiding their home and confiscating their CD player, cordless phone, and baby monitor - Then publicly shaming said family on the internet, and spouting off about how they got what was coming to them! How ethical of you.

Most of you will now attempt to shout me down, or launch into a lecture about game management - you are missing the point entirely. I am well aware that some thoughtful and well implemented policies have greatly improved the quality of the public resources in question. That's great, but we all know that 99% of the rules and regulations in effect have nothing to do with that, but are in fact intended to exclude people the elitists in the government see as undesirable, and to generate more cash flow for them.

If anyone reading this can manage to keep a level head, and is willing to use any common sense, just ask yourself how much the attitude and method of thinking being used by the majority of hunters in this thread resembles the gun grabbers attitudes towards regulating and controlling your 2A rights ... Suddenly government regulation and micro management of peoples affairs are necessary and proper. I don't believe that, and I never will - that is the attitude of liberal leftist elite.

Top Bottom