• ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Pros:
    The history of the rifle. My great grandpa was Army Infantry in WWI and probably had a 1903. My grandpa was a Marine in WWII and I don't think he had a garand so he probably got a 1903 as well.

Cons:
    You're going to pay a premium for an old beat up rifle that can be outperformed by a modern rifle for less $$.

If you're looking for the history of the gun, go ahead and buy one. If you're not connected to the rifles history and just want a 30-06 hunting rifle then there are plenty of them out there to chose from at very reasonable prices.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It seems like good ones are getting harder to find out on the market. Most of them at the shows seem to show an awful lot of wear but still want the same money as a good one if you really look around.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Pros:
    The history of the rifle. My great grandpa was Army Infantry in WWI and probably had a 1903. My grandpa was a Marine in WWII and I don't think he had a garand so he probably got a 1903 as well.

Cons:
    You're going to pay a premium for an old beat up rifle that can be outperformed by a modern rifle for less $$.

If you're looking for the history of the gun, go ahead and buy one. If you're not connected to the rifles history and just want a 30-06 hunting rifle then there are plenty of them out there to chose from at very reasonable prices.

Perhaps... but not by much... ;)

Shooting USA's Impossible Shots: The Old Sniper - YouTube

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Pay close attention to the bore on any of these rifles you look at. Seems to me that some of these that I have handled had been fired so much that the lands and grooves were REALLY worn down. Someday I will find a good one of these that I can afford.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

I've watched the video of that old sniper a bunch of times. I was amazed when he popped the head shot at 1000 yards and the group he held for not having shot a rifle for so long. The rifle he was handed was a newly manufactured replica with some newer parts. I wouldn't mind buying a gibbs replica, but for $1,000 plus that buys a whole lot of rifle with some custom features.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've watched the video of that old sniper a bunch of times. I was amazed when he popped the head shot at 1000 yards and the group he held for not having shot a rifle for so long. The rifle he was handed was a newly manufactured replica with some newer parts. I wouldn't mind buying a gibbs replica, but for $1,000 plus that buys a whole lot of rifle with some custom features.

Yeah that's a good point about it being a reproduction. What I find maybe even more impressive is that he did it with the old-style optic instead of something that looks like the Hubble Space Telescope.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Historically accurate guns go for a premium, but "sporterized" ones are still pretty inexpensive and are usually improved from a shooter's standpoint with better irons or a scope mount, a more comfortable stock, or both. They are very accurate rifles, and offer better accuracy than the majority of shooters can take advantage of.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you are a shooter, maybe using it for vintage matches, I would look for "C" stock version. The earliest were straight stocks that were better shaped for a bird hunters shotgun. They also had "scant C" which added a little bump where a pistol grip should be, but the full pistol grip "C" stock is my favorite.

Some of the late war 03-A3's had a two groove barrel. Do not be afraid of these. If the throat is in good shape and the muzzle crown is not damaged, these actually shoot very well.

As much as I love the romance of these old rifles, and the Springfields were top shelf infantry rifles in their time, they really are just old war rifles. Any competent gunSMITH (not mechanic) can build you a 30-06 caliber rifle that will out perform it.

Last edited:

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Historically accurate guns go for a premium, but "sporterized" ones are still pretty inexpensive and are usually improved from a shooter's standpoint with better irons or a scope mount, a more comfortable stock, or both. They are very accurate rifles, and offer better accuracy than the majority of shooters can take advantage of.

^^^What he said!^^^ Spend a little less on the rifle,BUY MORE AMMO!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I'm buying for historical purposes and to shoot occasionally....

Same here. I got my RA 1903A3 off a guy from the CMP forums. 1943 that looks like it was never even shot. The ME is less than 0 !! Its a 2 grove barrel. I also have a 1903 made in 1932 with a WWII barrel that is pitted and a WWII Keystone C stock on it, I would like to think is saw action but who knows, my son wants to buy that if and when I want to sell it. Neither guns appear to be greek returns and the CMP has dried up on them. I think they are a good investment also.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Same here. I got my RA 1903A3 off a guy from the CMP forums. 1943 that looks like it was never even shot. The ME is less than 0 !! Its a 2 grove barrel. I also have a 1903 made in 1932 with a WWII barrel that is pitted and a WWII Keystone C stock on it, I would like to think is saw action but who knows, my son wants to buy that if and when I want to sell it. Neither guns appear to be greek returns and the CMP has dried up on them. I think they are a good investment also.

+1 to surfing the CMP forum classified. Most of the guys there are enthusiasts that know what to look for in a rifle, and in turn will generally have fair market prices on their WTS ads. Additionally, you should have serveral to browse and compare, so you can decide exactly what you want. I bought one a few years ago from a CMP member that lives up in LaFayette. It was a beautiful 1903A3 that was all USGI parts (it had been rearsenaled at Rock Island at one point in its life time, although retained a number of its originaly serialized parts), but with a new "old stock" barrel (barrel dates from the early 40's). It is a great shooter, and a nice addition to the collection.

What is really interesting is just how close it really does compare with the German Mauser (design was heavily based on the Mauser action)...right down to nearly the exact same overall length. I have it in my safe next two two WWII Mausers and it is pretty nice company for it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    For the history and the occasional shooter you will love it. I picked one up in the early 80s still in original cosmoline and wrapped in wax paper. 1938. After a week of cleaning and procuring some WW2 surplus ammo I took it out and they're scary accurate. I bought some quality 180gr ammo and it's a tack driver. I love that old rifle. It's NEVER leaving. Oh, I paid $200 for it when I bought it and it has less than 300 rounds through it.
    I have a lot of nice rifles costing a lot of money. None are more accurate than the old '03

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Went to an auction several years back , 5 -03A3's were there to be auctioned off and 1 was in the condition your looking for but the other 4 sold within $75.00 of the best 1 there. Prepare to pay for a decent one , but I don't think it will out of this world high

chipsher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Logansport
    If your eyesight is still good I would'nt overlook a 1903, the machine work is beautiful and no stamped parts. Just make sure its a high serial number. And the Remington 1903A1 is pretty cool. That said I've got 3 1903A3s. I've tried just about every World War 2 bolt action at Knob Creek and I do best with the 1903A3, great sights. And the 30.06 works well with reduced competition loads.

Cons: price, I paid 650.00 for a perfect Rem 1903A3 about 6 years ago. But I've turned down offers of 800.00

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    +1 to surfing the CMP forum classified. Most of the guys there are enthusiasts that know what to look for in a rifle, and in turn will generally have fair market prices on their WTS ads. Additionally, you should have serveral to browse and compare, so you can decide exactly what you want. I bought one a few years ago from a CMP member that lives up in LaFayette. It was a beautiful 1903A3 that was all USGI parts (it had been rearsenaled at Rock Island at one point in its life time, although retained a number of its originaly serialized parts), but with a new "old stock" barrel (barrel dates from the early 40's). It is a great shooter, and a nice addition to the collection.

What is really interesting is just how close it really does compare with the German Mauser (design was heavily based on the Mauser action)...right down to nearly the exact same overall length. I have it in my safe next two two WWII Mausers and it is pretty nice company for it.

The first 1903 I bought off CMP forum the guy sold it at his cost when he bought it from the CMP.....I just happend to see it before anyone else did, got the CMP paper also for it.

History note is that the U.S. paid Germany for its copy right of the German Mauser to make the 1903. We continued to pay Germany every year for those rights.....until we entered WWI....after that we decided we wasn't going to pay anymore....what was Germany going to do?

Top Bottom