• AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    My two cents on RIA.
    I owned 2 tactical 10mm versions. First thing to do is replace the factory recoil spring with a new 22lb spring. The gun should have come with one but it didn't.
    The frame and slide fit was solid on my two but the barrels in both were a weak link to put it mildly. I upgraded the barrel in one and the gun perfoms excellent. I then ran a lot of hot loads through it to find the next weak link, it did well. It did show mushrooming on the ejector. I filed it off and kept shooting. changed firing pin stop and extractor.
    I sold it to a friend who is still shooting it it is actually a pretty nice gun now.
    Had I not replaced the barrel though I woud never been happy with its performance.

But I expect alot from my gun.

Short answer if you really want a 10mm on a budget, buy one change the recoil spring and shoot it. But satisfaction may be hit and miss

RIA 10, pretty bad ass shooter :)

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My two cents on RIA.
    I owned 2 tactical 10mm versions. First thing to do is replace the factory recoil spring with a new 22lb spring. The gun should have come with one but it didn't.
    The frame and slide fit was solid on my two but the barrels in both were a weak link to put it mildly. I upgraded the barrel in one and the gun perfoms excellent. I then ran a lot of hot loads through it to find the next weak link, it did well. It did show mushrooming on the ejector. I filed it off and kept shooting. changed firing pin stop and extractor.
    I sold it to a friend who is still shooting it it is actually a pretty nice gun now.
    Had I not replaced the barrel though I woud never been happy with its performance.

But I expect alot from my gun.

Short answer if you really want a 10mm on a budget, buy one change the recoil spring and shoot it. But satisfaction may be hit and miss

RIA 10, pretty bad ass shooter :)

Alrighty then.
    Looks like I'm going to be in the market for a 22lb recoil spring. Where can I find one, and what should I expect to pay for one?
    I've made arrangements to pick up a new RI 1911 in 10mm on Wednesday.
    Its a full size, unfired NIB for under $550.

We'll see how it goes...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Midwayusa or gunsprings.com about $8.00

Thank you sir, for that information, but as it turns out I don't need it after all.
    An Ingo member who read this thread has graciously offered me a Wilson 22lb replacement spring at no charge!
    Said it was an extra that he would not use. :ingo:

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thank you sir, for that information, but as it turns out I don't need it after all.
    An Ingo member who read this thread has graciously offered me a Wilson 22lb replacement spring at no charge!
    Said it was an extra that he would not use. :ingo:

Excellent

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Based on Allen’s recommendation I ordered a 22lb spring and 2 9 round magazines from Wilson Combat for mine.

Ok I hate to say it but Wilson 10mm mags have been the worst for me. Tripp cobra mags and metalform have been the most reliable in my experience.

Sorry hopefully your mileage will vary

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ok I hate to say it but Wilson 10mm mags have been the worst for me. Tripp cobra mags and metalform have been the most reliable in my experience.

Sorry hopefully your mileage will vary
    I have not had good luck with the wilson mags either. But the Trip mags don’t work all that well either.. The factory mags work about the best with this gun.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have not had good luck with the wilson mags either. But the Trip mags don’t work all that well either.. The factory mags work about the best with this gun.

Just goes to show one size does not fit all. Is this in a RIA?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    the one pictured above, I could not get it reliable until I replaced the barrel.
    When you mentioned that in your “what you need to replace” post I was thinking that I’ll probably need to replace the barrel to get it to feed reliably. Quite a list of things I want to do with it.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    When you mentioned that in your “what you need to replace” post I was thinking that I’ll probably need to replace the barrel to get it to feed reliably. Quite a list of things I want to do with it.

It adds up in cost quick to, it's toss up whether to just save the extra up and buy once , cry once.

It is not as bad for me since I do all my own work and I like to experiment and learn new things. But if you need help with anything LMK

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It adds up in cost quick to, it's toss up whether to just save the extra up and buy once , cry once.

It is not as bad for me since I do all my own work and I like to experiment and learn new things. But if you need help with anything LMK

Well. I may think about doing some stuff at some point. The RI finish isn’t awesome. I’ve been thinking about what it would look like two-tone cerakoted graphite black slide/controls and titanium frame, and VZ carbon fiber ragnarok black/blue grips. Plu$ the new spring, barrel and variou$ innards. Guess I’ll start saving my pennies.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Well. I may think about doing some stuff at some point. The RI finish isn’t awesome. I’ve been thinking about what it would look like two-tone cerakoted graphite black slide/controls and titanium frame, and VZ carbon fiber ragnarok black/blue grips. Plu$ the new spring, barrel and variou$ innards. Guess I’ll start saving my pennies.
    While you're doing all that you might as well let Allen work his magic on the trigger. He is quite talented!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    While you're doing all that you might as well let Allen work his magic on the trigger. He is quite talented!
    The trigger as it is now actually isn’t that bad. I’d like it to be just a little lighter if I had my druthers, but it’s not high on the priority list. Getting it to feed reliably with a variety of ammo and mags other than factory RIA is the priority now. Then maybe the cerakote. But I might go ahead and order the VZ ragnarock grips now.

https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/1911/bawidamann/ragnarok-black-blue

Top Bottom