• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    A FP spring installed backwards can sometimes do unexpected things. Could be excess grease around the FP. A burr in the mainspring housing. A smaller than spec FP hole in the breech could do this. A FP or FP Spring out of spec not letting the spring seat all the way. Wrong mainspring. Lots of places to look. Hard to diagnose over the Internet. If none,of the ideas here help, might have to consult a smith or send it back...

-rvb

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I watched a you tube video

But, do you own a dremel? You can't be a gunsmith without a dremel. The skill to use it is optional, but the dremel is a must. :):

Back on topic, I don't think I've ever had a light primer strike from a 1911. Most of mine will bounce a pencil off the ceiling with some force when I do a pencil test. Start with the easy stuff first and pull the firing pin. If the channel is clean and there are no burrs, take a look at the MSH. There might be something that's not allowing the hammer to fall with the full force of the main spring. A missing spring cup on the bottom of the MSH could do that by reducing the compression on the spring.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    But, do you own a dremel? You can't be a gunsmith without a dremel. The skill to use it is optional, but the dremel is a must. :):
    This is true. I am always attracted to those WTS ads when the guy says he used his dremel to polish all the internals. That screams quality right there.

Top Bottom