• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    I'm looking for a 9mm for my wife. I have done a lot of shooting and training over the years, but with family obligations I'm not able to make it out to the range as much any more. She got her lifetime permit last year, and is interested in getting something for carry.

Single stack 9mm seem to fit her hands well. We've looked around, and she's handled a variety of them, and she liked the Para Ordinance LTC PCC99R the best so far. I was pretty excited at first because I mainly carry 1911s, and I've always thought of Para as a reputable manufacturer. But in my searches it sounds like this particular model is having extraction issues. I'd like to find her a reliable single stack 9mm 1911, something in the commander size would be good, but and officers model would work too. The big thing is that it needs to be a single stack (thin) in order to fit her hands well. Any suggestions?

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I have been saving for a Kimber Tactical Pro in 9mm. I like the Springfield EMP as well. Wish the one in the classifieds was closer, my bank account would likely be a little thinner :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay . . .

First, do not even consider the Para 9mm unless you are a gunsmith or wish to patronize one. While I'm sure we'll hear from people on here who have one that "works perfectly," but most do not. The problem is their proprietary "Power Extractor" which is functionally inferior to the conventional extractors they sought to replace. It was a non-solution in search of a non-existent problem.

If you do get one, you will likely need to have the extractor channel sleeved so that a standard 1911 extractor can fitted and tuned to work with the gun. If you want to go that route, the guy to do it for you Jay Crowder in Tennessee.

The best functioning, out-of-the-box 9mm 1911 on the market today regardless of price is the Armscor/RIA. Yeah, it's a little rough, but you can find them for about $450 and they actually work.

If you don't like Armscor/RIA for some reason, I'd get an STI Spartan in 9mm, which should be somewhere in the $600-700 region. It should work, because, well, it's made by Armscor with their frame, slide, barrel, and some STI parts for STI.

If you don't like that, I'd get a Springfield Armory and hope for the best. You might get lucky, but if not, there are a few people in Indiana who can make it work for you.

My experience: Approximately 26,236 (as of 26JUN11) rounds through a Springfield Armory 9mm that required a lot of work to make it functional, about 3343 (as of 24JUL11) rounds through a Para-Ordnance P18.9 that has had multiple extractor woes, and just getting started with an Armscor that has yet to malfunction (I'll let you know when I get to 1000 rounds).

Good luck! There is no sweeter shooting gun than a 9mm 1911 that functions well.

I'm looking for a 9mm for my wife. I have done a lot of shooting and training over the years, but with family obligations I'm not able to make it out to the range as much any more. She got her lifetime permit last year, and is interested in getting something for carry.

Single stack 9mm seem to fit her hands well. We've looked around, and she's handled a variety of them, and she liked the Para Ordinance LTC PCC99R the best so far. I was pretty excited at first because I mainly carry 1911s, and I've always thought of Para as a reputable manufacturer. But in my searches it sounds like this particular model is having extraction issues. I'd like to find her a reliable single stack 9mm 1911, something in the commander size would be good, but and officers model would work too. The big thing is that it needs to be a single stack (thin) in order to fit her hands well. Any suggestions?

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    I have really been thinking about a STI Spartan in 9mm. I was looking for one of the RIAs in 9mm but I figure once you add better sights you are about at the price of a Spartan. It looks I will need to order one as I have never seen one locally and trying to figure out if I should order from Dawson Precision or Brazos.

johnb62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Oct 15, 2008
    Evansville Area
    I have really been thinking about a STI Spartan in 9mm. I was looking for one of the RIAs in 9mm but I figure once you add better sights you are about at the price of a Spartan. It looks I will need to order one as I have never seen one locally and trying to figure out if I should order from Dawson Precision or Brazos.

I have ordered from Brazos and they are excellent to work with.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Okay . . .

First, do not even consider the Para 9mm unless you are a gunsmith or wish to patronize one. While I'm sure we'll hear from people on here who have one that "works perfectly," but most do not. The problem is their proprietary "Power Extractor" which is functionally inferior to the conventional extractors they sought to replace. It was a non-solution in search of a non-existent problem.

Good luck! There is no sweeter shooting gun than a 9mm 1911 that functions well.

I have read about all the problems with the extractors, but my issues were all FTF and light primer strikes. Once I hit 300 rounds, it was like a switch was flipped. Completely different gun. I don't think I've had a single issue in 1,000 rounds since.

But I still don't think I would trust it as a carry gun. Nor would the finish hold up well to EDC.

If it was me, I would look hard at the EMP or the Kimber Aegis.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    I have and love the RIA tactical model in 9mm (commander hammer, beavertail grip, decent sights).

I also have and love an older Para LDA (it's in .40 but they made the same gun in 9) - and so far it works fine.

Since the last 1500 when I picked up I've put 500 rounds through the RIA 9mm.

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I have a para LTC commander size 9mm it is vary reliable and a dream to shoot I got it for my wife and find myself shooting a gun with pink grips for fun.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    I would love it if RIA sold a smaller 9mm, but a full size 5" barrel isn't going to fit the purpose of this gun. I'm too leery of the Para at this point to trust it as a EDC gun for the wife. That leaves me with the Kimber and the Springfield. I've never been a big fan of Springfield. Their guns function very well, but you pay a premium price for the name, and the gun is only milspec (sloppy, but feeds everything). That leaves me with the Kimber. Ouch! I love them. I have 2 and carry a stainless compact. I just wasn't budgeting a grand for the gun. I was really hoping to keep it around $750 so that we could afford to get her a good holster, tactical purse, dies and powder thrower for a 650 tool head, and some reloading components all in one shot. Looks like we will be saving for a little while longer.

Thanks,
    Mark

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'm always leery of going shorter on 1911's...every problematic 1911 I've seen has been 4" barrel or shorter. I'm no armorer but it's just what I have noticed.

For the same amount of money as an RIA 9mm you can look into a gun by CZ, specifically a CZ75 which is simply a fantastic sidearm for a great price. Available in single-action or DA/SA depending on model...double stack but not too thick where a person with smaller hands has trouble with it. A Glock 19 is probably the only gun that trumps the CZ75 as far as great 9mm goes, did she get the opportunity to try one of those?

If a 5" 1911 in 9mm was what you are looking for I would not hesitate to recommend a RIA; Bud's Gun Shop has them for a great price and their shipping is free.

Just my :twocents:

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    She handled a few glocks side by side with the Para, and didn't like them at all. Between 3 of the guys I train with, they probably own 50 glocks, and she's fired a few rounds through several of them and didn't care for them. There's certain aspects of shooting that she just doesn't care for, but she also recognizes the importance of training and practice and she's willing to deal with the stuff she doesn't like because it's far better than dealing with the possible alternative if/when she's ever in a really bad situation.

I'll take a closer look at the STI line and see if I can find something in my price range. If not, we'll start keeping an eye out for a used one, or a used Kimber.

Top Bottom