• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I am looking to buy my first 1911 and looking for some advice. It will primarily be used for target plinking and another option for home defense. I am looking at the Springfield Loaded Stainless or MC Operator. I also might consider the Ruger SR1911. My brother bought a Springfield TRP Stainless and it is deadly accurate. But it is also quite a bit more expensive and I don't really care for that front grip texturing.

jrclaxon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Marion
    I've carried 1911's for years and love them. Practice alot especially if you decide to carry cocked and locked. I believe it's safer cocked and locked than trying to rack a round or ESPECIALLY cock the hammer on a live round in an emergency. In fact DO NOT lower the hammer on a live round, it's dangerous and some day you will drop the hammer and BOOM! Enjoy the 1911 it's the best!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Para GI is a decent 1st time 1911. I have had 2 and both ran fine. Springers are a step up with many offerings that are great out of the box. A Range Officer is a great target gun.
    Rem. R-1 is a good gun for your stated purpose.

Nothing wrong with spending some extra coin for a Colt.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    For your first 1911 just stick with something simple.

Cabot_0021-1024x767.jpg

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Indy Southside
    Lots of options out there...Colt, Kimber or Springfield would get my vote. There's a nice series I Kimber in the classifieds if you could get it for the right price (not my gun).

jeepfreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    I just picked up the SR1911 as my first 1911 and I have to say it's a great piece and I shot it really well. Very happy with the purchase.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I'm looking at a Ruger for my wife for our 5th anniversary. I am wanting an american made 1911 that won't cost me 2k, and they fit the bill quite well.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Nothing wrong with the RIA, Ruger, or Remingtons, all great options. But after reading the OP, my mind started screaming Springfield Range Officer. Springfields, to me, are about as good as they get before you start dropping some serious coin on a 1911, and the level of quality stops rising in the same proportion as the dollars spent do.

The only thing I can say is that if you intend to have anything done to it, get a Springfield, or other forged frame model. If you want to buy it and shoot the snot out of it, and the most that you might do to it is a sight change, and some safety switch upgrades, then just about any of the well known manufacturers are pretty good.

The only thing that I can say for sure, and I doubt anyone will argue, after buying it, start saving up, because you will want another one...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nothing wrong with the RIA, Ruger, or Remingtons, all great options. But after reading the OP, my mind started screaming Springfield Range Officer. Springfields, to me, are about as good as they get before you start dropping some serious coin on a 1911, and the level of quality stops rising in the same proportion as the dollars spent do.

The only thing I can say is that if you intend to have anything done to it, get a Springfield, or other forged frame model. If you want to buy it and shoot the snot out of it, and the most that you might do to it is a sight change, and some safety switch upgrades, then just about any of the well known manufacturers are pretty good.

The only thing that I can say for sure, and I doubt anyone will argue, after buying it, start saving up, because you will want another one...

For a mid-range (under $800) 1911 the RO is a great choice. Have one in the safe and my son has latched onto it. It is the first gun he picks up at the range and usually stays with it all day.
    I have a loaded as well. Next step up in the price range but shot for shot....until I sent the loaded off to the custom shop at SA the RO was the better target gun.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    I agree with all of the above, but i have a slightly different 1911. I have a Smith & Wesson SW1911 Stainless with a rail. Maybe not everyone's cup o' tea, but i use it primarily for home defense. I like having a rail on it so i can mount a weapon light on it. If you look hard enough you can find em used. Mine was a factory demo and i bough it at Bradis in Camby. Absolutely the smoothest gun I've owned. Definitely most accurate hand gun I've owned.

PMPORTER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I own a Springer and Rock Island, the rock island has seen a lot of use and you can't go wrong for the money. They are built to be shot and if it gets beat up oh well it was $400

Top Bottom