• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I was just speaking in general. People make videos where they do stupid stuff to guns, and everyone says "that's why I carry a --------." Well, it shouldn't be. You should carry it because it is reliable in an EDC environment with your defense ammo of choice, and you shoot and operate it well in less than ideal circumstances.

Whatevrr you carry, if you're going to war in the desert, get good at malfunction drills.

:yesway:

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    You can read TONS of accounts of FTF and FTE events with 1911's on the internet...and from quality major manufacturers. Don't see 1/100th of the complaints of ANY other type of pistol. Facts-is-facts.

Most of the Plastic Fantastic pistols do not lend themselves to user customization like the 1911. I build 1911's as a hobby. There are literally hundreds of companies build and sell parts that are slightly different sized. Often in the learning curve, folks will change parts in an attempt to upgrade and inflict an issue. Once a 1911 is running, it should be left alone. Of the 15 or so, NEVER had one leave my bench after adequate testing and firing that would not run virtually ANY factory AMMO. They will run very dirty as long as you lube them up. A little Mobil One goes a long way.

I currently have 3 Springfields, 3 Colts, 2 Wilson, and 5 Home Built Caspian 1911's. I carry one of the Caspian (CCO) daily.

I have fixed many 1911's for folks. EVERY TIME the issue was some sort of tweaking the user did. I did find one Springfield that had a broken Extractor. I think it had around 25000 rounds fired though.

My opinion for what it is worth is that the Polymer pistols are excellent tools. The Custom or semi Custom 1911 is a "Work of Art" that are also pretty good tools. Why drive a Focus if you can drive a Porsche ? Just a matter of preference

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    So I own multiple glocks and no 1911's at the moment.

With that being said. Anyone who doesn't like a 1911 probably voted for Hilary Clinton

Hey now, I love 1911s but not so much as to really insult a fellow gun owner, no matter what inferior sidearm they choose. That's hitting below the belt, dude! :):

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Now as to the statement about reliability. I just never seem to understand that mind set. No knock on you or anyone that has those opinions but in this I and many others just must be the luckiest people in our 1911's as they run and run and run and run.
    Nothing is flawless as ammo and some magazines will inherently cause issues but if one prepares properly as in anything these issues are just minimal if ever.

No one can argue the reliability of the Austrian offerings but I do grow weary of the shadow that cheap and ill maintained 1911's have cast in my favorite platform.

Give 'em Hell Papaw.....:)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I'm looking forward to it, buddy! We actually have completed the footers and block guy is supposed to be here this week, so it's actually moving forward! I was really getting tired of all the red tape and hoop jumping.

Mike from Everything Concealed Carry was in the other day...He wants in on the "Iron Triangle of Clarksville" t shirts with all of our businesses listed along with a map showing the triangle of the three businesses with our names and phone numbers...

I bet it will be the first time in history that three different gun businesses are selling t shirts advertising all three...We are making history brother!!!! Clarksville ain't been this famous since George Rogers Clark and William Clark called us home!!!!!

Dutch68

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2015
    apt
    I've always liked M1911a1s. Owned a few in different variations. My all-time favorite was a COLT 1911a1 , Series 80 in 38 Super Auto. Stock from the Factory , it was the sweetest shooting pistol I've fired. No Malfunctions of any kind , went bang when I squeezed the trigger. Wish I still had it.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    The pride of my collection is a 1915 Colt US ARMY marked 1911, three notches cut into the mag well
    first saw service against Pancho Villa in 1916.
    could still
    kill you at 102!

Top Bottom