• ...and so much more!
  • Buckeye911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    NEW PALESTINE
    Kimber Gold Match ii stainless

It has been a long time since I completely disassembled any 1911 and first for this new Kimber.

I am trying to remove the ambi thumb safety without completely destroying the frame/parts finish.

I have tried to look for videos for disassembly of 1911's but they are almost all for single side safeties.

My understanding is that the safety should be removed from the right first and then the left by wiggling the safety in the "half-way" position. Is that accurate?

Can anyone help?

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Move the safety to the mid position and wiggle and pull. Sometimes they are a pain but just keep wiggling and pulling. Has to be in the mid position. Some times u can cheat with a Popsicle stick or a plastic trim piece remover.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Right side is captured under the grip.
    Left side is removed with the hammer in the full cock position and the safety up when you start to remove it. Wiggle it and pull.
    The pin is pressed into the right side pin so there will be some resistance there.

Be careful as the slide lock/thumb safety pins are spring loaded and will take flight if you let them.

Buckeye911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    NEW PALESTINE
    Extra info i did not mention...

I was replacing the main spring housing and when i replaced with the new I got the spring positioned wrong and had to remove it...

I cant get the hammer cocked back and the trigger wont pull...

I assumed I messed it up and wanted to start from the beginning.

Is this causing the safety to not remove?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Extra info i did not mention...

I was replacing the main spring housing and when i replaced with the new I got the spring positioned wrong and had to remove it...

I cant get the hammer cocked back and the trigger wont pull...

I assumed I messed it up and wanted to start from the beginning.

Is this causing the safety to not remove?

Pull the main spring housing back off the gun. that will relieve the pressure on the safety's and yes, you screwed up.
    If this repeats when you reassemble get the gun to someone that is familiar with the internal workings so as not to ruin anything.

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    The right hand safety on a Kimber is not captured under the grip. It is fitted into the shaft of the left hand safety and is held by friction and a flange on the hammer pin. The friction fit is very tight and makes it a real pain to get it apart. A wooden or plastic wedge can be a big help. Remember to have the hammer ay full cock. If I can help. pm me.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    +1 on Mr. Jim's post. You need to remove the right side lever first. Sometimes you must gently pry it off - then remove the left side lever. Be glad it's a tight fit between the levers - otherwise the right lever would constantly be trying to come off. Having the grip help hold it down is a big help. In the old days ambi safeties would never stay tight. I detested ambi safeties. But if you are a lefty.........

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The right hand safety on a Kimber is not captured under the grip. It is fitted into the shaft of the left hand safety and is held by friction and a flange on the hammer pin. The friction fit is very tight and makes it a real pain to get it apart. A wooden or plastic wedge can be a big help. Remember to have the hammer ay full cock. If I can help. pm me.

I swear the Kimber I just did had the right side of the Ambi captured under the grip.
    This or I have just stared at to many Springers.

Buckeye911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    NEW PALESTINE
    Turns out that the left safety had to be removed first. I ended up taking it to a local gunsmith that helped me out by walking me through the dis assembly and assembly. Not all of the ambi safeties are the same. All the videos and message boards had the same advice to take the right off first. Oh well, I learned a lot from this. Thanks!

Top Bottom