• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Anyone else dislike these? I've got a Kimber Ultra Raptor II that is a great little gun, except for the ambi thumb safety. It just makes me feel uncomfortable knowing that the thumb safety on the right side is out there, uncovered.

I've ordered a replacement, and it doesn't seem to difficult to replace (I'll go the gunsmith route if I'm the least bit unsure), so my "problem" will be solved.

However, I'm wondering when the ambi safety for the 1911 first came about, and whether or not members here think it was a good idea or bad idea, or indifferent idea.

Opinions of southpaws welcome, as well.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Anyone else dislike these? I've got a Kimber Ultra Raptor II that is a great little gun, except for the ambi thumb safety. It just makes me feel uncomfortable knowing that the thumb safety on the right side is out there, uncovered.

I've ordered a replacement, and it doesn't seem to difficult to replace (I'll go the gunsmith route if I'm the least bit unsure), so my "problem" will be solved.

However, I'm wondering when the ambi safety for the 1911 first came about, and whether or not members here think it was a good idea or bad idea, or indifferent idea.

Opinions of southpaws welcome, as well.

Well, the 1911 I am looking at has the ambi safety, simply because I am a southpaw.

I wish they would all make the ambi safeties and mag releases reversible.....like S&W does with the mag release on the MP's. Then you don't have the extra one floating around, and the gun can be adapted to either hand.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I appreciate the tactical relevance of an ambi thumb safety (and the need to shoot off-hand, etc.), but I prefer a EDC gun with only a left-side thumb safety for the exact reason you mention. I carry a Kimber Pro Carry (1st gen) most often - and that is one of the considerations I applied.

In my Personal Protection Outside the Home course, I often demonstrate how easy it is to disengage a right-side thumb safety when, for example, standing up from a ladder-back chair.

Like most choices, this one is a balance of different considerations, so YMMV.

Guy

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    IIRC, the first readily available ambidextrous thumb safety for 1911's to hit the market was the Armand Swenson design sometime in the mid-1970's. I believe that it was first marketed by Pachmayr, but I could be mistaken there. It's been a mote of years, and I've slept a few times since then.

As a southpaw, that was the little gizmo which finally made adopting the 1911 platform as my primary SD/CC sidearm practical.

For me personally, the experiences I'd had trying to deploy a 1911 from "Condition 3" carry in the military had amply demonstrated just how poor an option that might be when faced with an immediate threat, which is a very large part of why I ended up scrounging an elderly S&W 1917 and an equally non-reg. commercial shoulder rig when I was "on the river" in 1967-68. Fortunately, as it happened our CO was a "Mustang" and a practical man, so when a situation arose where the regs conflicted with giving us our best possible chances of staying alive, he was willing to look the other way.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I can understand the lefties wanting an ambi safety for the 1911, as the standard safety would be difficult to manipulate. From a right handed perspective though, I have though seriously about switching both of my 1911s from the ambi to a standard safety lever, for the very same reasons you described. The only thing holding me back is the theory that if it isnt broke, dont fix it, and so far, the issues that could happen have been alleviated with a good holster and conciseness of the safety on my pistol.

Now that I know I am not alone, and wouldnt be laughed at for the not so tactical upgrade, I might have to look into ordering a couple of safeties for my carry pistols.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Mine's "hangin out there" on the left side, cos I use the wrong hand. I check the safety frequently, but I've gotten real good at not bumping things, and haven't found it all the way off for a long time. Been thinking of doing some machining and making a left hand only version, or see if I could find one. Operating it isn't a problem for me. I actually like a right hand mag release; I mash it with my middle finger, no problem.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Mine's "hangin out there" on the left side, cos I use the wrong hand. I check the safety frequently, but I've gotten real good at not bumping things, and haven't found it all the way off for a long time. Been thinking of doing some machining and making a left hand only version, or see if I could find one. Operating it isn't a problem for me. I actually like a right hand mag release; I mash it with my middle finger, no problem.

Most thumb break holsters would cover the safety, would they not?

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I never had a desire for one on any of my pistols but I don't think I'd replace it if I happened to buy a gun with an ambi safety installed.

I really hadn't either, until I saw the SW 1911 Sc bobtail......and fell in love with it (call it love at first sight). :)

Smith-Wess-SW1911SC.jpg

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    During routine LE operations with DEA (arrests, search warrants, etc) I have found my 1911, holstered, cocked, and with the safety wiped off, unlocked. Of course the grip safety was still engaged, but it bothered me so that I paid to replace the ambi's on two 1911's. Et voila, problem solved.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I bought a ambi safety 1911 for a dual carry shoulder holster I put together,its cool looking but heavy w/ 2 pistols.I also have a son that enjoys shooting who is a natural southpaw (can shoot either hand,daddy taught em right) & have been collecting a few ambi safety pistols for him to shoot as well

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    During routine LE operations with DEA (arrests, search warrants, etc) I have found my 1911, holstered, cocked, and with the safety wiped off, unlocked. Of course the grip safety was still engaged, but it bothered me so that I paid to replace the ambi's on two 1911's. Et voila, problem solved.
    Real-life experience is the most reliable feedback. +1.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Most thumb break holsters would cover the safety, would they not?

My IWB sure doesn't, and I don't recall seeing one that does. Maybe I need to go shopping. Still kinda like to have a left hand safety, though. Sometimes you wind up struggling with a problem when you can dodge it :) Stubbornness.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    Not a lot of choice for us lefties, unless we want to take a Dremel to the left side to grind it down. Before I had the ambi installed, I did a few USPSA matches and classes with a left side only. Not fun, certainly not fast and though I'm sure there are some out there that have practiced and made it quick...I didn't see myself as one of those, so ambi for me.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My IWB sure doesn't, and I don't recall seeing one that does. Maybe I need to go shopping. Still kinda like to have a left hand safety, though. Sometimes you wind up struggling with a problem when you can dodge it :) Stubbornness.

I was thinking mostly OWB holsters.......I am no expert on 1911's...but I have been looking at a ton of holsters. And no, I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express........;)

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Real life experience does count. I've carried my pre-series II Kimber Pro CDP since the mid 90's with an ambi safety, and I've never found the safety to have been "wiped off". It's my opinion that an adequately built holster will go a long way towards shielding any unwanted contact with an ambi safety. I have 1911's with ambi, and single-side safetys... none have posed me any undesirable issues.

Whatever works for ya....

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Well I am right hander with an Ambi on my EDC Baer. Gun was set up with it and I am not one for changing out parts on a gun that has run beautifully for 15 years and whose parts are ALL hand fitted and serialized! Do I need it...no, is it nice for weak hand drills/stages yes. If I were to rebuild the pistol as a dedicated EDC I would probably go with strong side only.

That said, some thoughts on the "pros" of my Ambi setup:

Baer uses a thinned down safety on the right side, probably not good for southpaws but less likely to catch for right handers.

The thumb safety is VERY positive, not hard but a very positve "snick", probably a good thing to check if you run an ambi.

My IWB leather (VMII or SSII) has a form fitted indent in the body shield for the strong side safety to ride in cocked and locked. probably provides a little extra security against brushing off the safety. Definately something worth looking for in an IWB rig.

Another useful thing about having the right side safety is I find myself able to visually check its position, as oppossed to having to "coonfinger" (props to Kirk) the pistol to verify it is on safe.

as always just my :twocents:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Real life experience does count. I've carried my pre-series II Kimber Pro CDP since the mid 90's with an ambi safety, and I've never found the safety to have been "wiped off". It's my opinion that an adequately built holster will go a long way towards shielding any unwanted contact with an ambi safety. I have 1911's with ambi, and single-side safetys... none have posed me any undesirable issues.

Whatever works for ya....

Good to know....I am still leaning towards the S&W 1911Sc bobtail that I saw......it has ambi safety on it.....

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Well I am right hander with an Ambi on my EDC Baer. Gun was set up with it and I am not one for changing out parts on a gun that has run beautifully for 15 years and whose parts are ALL hand fitted and serialized! Do I need it...no, is it nice for weak hand drills/stages yes. If I were to rebuild the pistol as a dedicated EDC I would probably go with strong side only.

That said, some thoughts on the "pros" of my Ambi setup:

Baer uses a thinned down safety on the right side, probably not good for southpaws but less likely to catch for right handers.

The thumb safety is VERY positive, not hard but a very positve "snick", probably a good thing to check if you run an ambi.

My IWB leather (VMII or SSII) has a form fitted indent in the body shield for the strong side safety to ride in cocked and locked. probably provides a little extra security against brushing off the safety. Definately something worth looking for in an IWB rig.

Another useful thing about having the right side safety is I find myself able to visually check its position, as oppossed to having to "coonfinger" (props to Kirk) the pistol to verify it is on safe.

as always just my :twocents:

that's a great point. Most higher end holster makers will most likely account for things like an ambi safety's when they make a holster for a particular gun.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I appreciate the tactical relevance of an ambi thumb safety (and the need to shoot off-hand, etc.), but I prefer a EDC gun with only a left-side thumb safety for the exact reason you mention. I carry a Kimber Pro Carry (1st gen) most often - and that is one of the considerations I applied.

In my Personal Protection Outside the Home course, I often demonstrate how easy it is to disengage a right-side thumb safety when, for example, standing up from a ladder-back chair.

Like most choices, this one is a balance of different considerations, so YMMV.

Guy
    :lol2:
    I agree completely with Guy.

If I find a 1911 that I feel the need to own and it has one, I change it out. I usually get a Wilson single side from Midway and replace the ambi.. It takes a little fitting but but it's worth it to me because I just don't care for the ambi and CT laser grips are pretty much standard equipment on my 1911s. I put the ambi in in a pouch and if I sell the pistol I reinstall it.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom