• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    I use ambi's on all my 1911's. However I too have an ultra raptor and have found the safety swiped off on its own while holstered however Im a lefty so I guess I just need to change to another ambi safety for that one as this doesnt happen on my other 1911's with ambi safetys

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    While I definitely understand the need for ambis (the world is built for right handers - and all those left handed guys mess up the battle drill) it is almost always the weakest part on a 1911. I installed tons of them (several brands) and they all would come back in a month with loose right levers. Now I have been out of the game (smithing) for about 15 years so maybe someone has come up with a solid design for attaching the right lever that doesn't flex and start loosening and I just haven't seen one yet. If you must have one, keep a very close eye on it. Take it apart and learn exactly how it works so you can tweak it yourself. The original design was so poor IMO it has no place on a 1911 used for serious business.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I prefer mine to not have the ambi-release but I am right handed so...... ;) I don't like the looks of them personally but they have their place for sure. I just single out the ones that don't have it for myself, no biggie.

Craigh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Columbus
    I'm right handed as well and use to be on the page of single sided safety only... That is until I took classes where your right hand/arm was out of commission. These classes made me rethink (and retool) my carry 1911's to include ambi safeties. That being said, Drail makes an excellent point. Ambi safeties for the 1911 are of dubious design and inherently weak (I wish it were otherwise). With heavy use, these safeties can and will loosen so, Drail’s words of caution are well taken.

I like to separate my handguns into two categories; 1. heavy use (completion and training) and 2. concealed carry. I’m OK with my training pistols needing additional attention and experiencing parts breakage due to high round count (>10,000). I keep the round count of my CCW handguns as low as possible (few hundred rounds). This allows me to keep my confidence high in my CCW handguns while maintaining/improving my skills.

To me the bottom line is this: if you carry a 1911 for self defense, it should have an ambi safety and you should be practiced in deploying it with your support hand (left for me), as you may not always have your primary.

Thanks,

Craig

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II for EDC and am thinking of removing the Ambi.
    Safty so I can add Laser grips. A matter of what you're comfortable with.

gpbrooks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    South Bend
    I have the ambi and don't care for it. I have noticed the safety disengaged a few too many times for my comfort. Will be changing the ambi out soon.

Top Bottom