• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Letch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ok, I know this sounds like a bit of an oxymoron, but I'm looking to build a budget yet well performing 1911. Now I know I could just buy cheaper but I just like making things myself. I've done my research but I'm looking for a bit of humam input. My question is this: What elements of the firearm are the most critical to its function and feel? As in, where should one spend, and where could one skimp? My gut tells me critical elements would include sear, extractor, barrel and bushing fit. Less critical (could get a cheaper one that works just as well) includes firing pin, mag release, recoil spring mechanism, main spring housing and spring. Is there anything I'm missing or need to focus on (or just plain wrong about?) And finally, for those all so critical parts, anyone have any personal suggestions?

Letch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    PS: I know some of you will mention how a 1911 build isn't as easy as it sounds and I'm aware. I will have a real gunsmith check off on my work before firing.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    PS: I know some of you will mention how a 1911 build isn't as easy as it sounds and I'm aware. I will have a real gunsmith check off on my work before firing.

With all do respect, as a gunsmith, I would not be willing to "check off" your trial run build. Let me explain:

Say you build it, and everything looks hunky dory in the shop. I take it out and test fire, and it shoots 7 rounds fine. Then you take it home, shoot it once and it blows up in your face. First person that will get sued is me.

That being said, if you are truly TRULY wanting to do a build, please, PLEASE find someone that knows what they are doing (your words "real gunsmith), and have them either give you good guidance or you need to know when something is beyond your capabilities.

I always like seeing a DIY'er attempt a project. That is how we learn!!! But, 1911's can be fickle, and MOST parts are not "drop-in" as they claim to be.

Good luck in your ventures. I hope you get the advice and help you need along the way!

Letch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I appreciate the advice and concern, but I may have left out a few details. I've done work on my current 1911, have worked with experienced people on other projects, and have a gunsmith friend who will be working with me along the way. This is just my first from the ground up build where I actually have to consider alot of independent factors by myself. Assuming I have the appropriate backup and guidance, my question still stands: What factors are most important to consider when selecting my own parts?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    JMHO, QUALITY, don't buy "cheap" to save money ..... If you are going to do that, just buy cheap, and go on .....

BBL, bushing fit, is critical, for accuracy ..... Trigger pull, weight also .....

Sights, get nice ones, I like mine BIG, don't get "little" G I sights .....

any spring will wear, so if quality, costs $1.00 more, it will keep you from replacing it again .....

Again, JMHO, YMMV .....

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I appreciate the advice and concern, but I may have left out a few details. I've done work on my current 1911, have worked with experienced people on other projects, and have a gunsmith friend who will be working with me along the way. This is just my first from the ground up build where I actually have to consider alot of independent factors by myself. Assuming I have the appropriate backup and guidance, my question still stands: What factors are most important to consider when selecting my own parts?

Thanks for not taking any offense to my comments. The details ease concern :-)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Thanks for not taking any offense to my comments. The details ease concern :-)

I think that I am really going to like this guy. Most critical is that he not only is willing to listen but actively seeks out guidance in those areas where his own skill/knowledge set has gaps. In my experience, this critical element of wisdom is sorely lacking in our society.

Letch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    As far as springs and pins are concerned, where the dollar amount is minimal between classes of quaility, I'm going to go ahead and get the better. I've settled on Wolff springs and figure any spec pin set will do (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, just a question of interest, how good is nighthawk custom? Based on the minimal I've seen, and just a gut feeling, theyre more bark than bite and better off going with proven providers.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I think that I am really going to like this guy. Most critical is that he not only is willing to listen but actively seeks out guidance in those areas where his own skill/knowledge set has gaps. In my experience, this critical element of wisdom is sorely lacking in our society.

Word.

I'd donate time to his education.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Ok, I know this sounds like a bit of an oxymoron, but I'm looking to build a budget yet well performing 1911. Now I know I could just buy cheaper but I just like making things myself. I've done my research but I'm looking for a bit of humam input. My question is this: What elements of the firearm are the most critical to its function and feel? As in, where should one spend, and where could one skimp? My gut tells me critical elements would include sear, extractor, barrel and bushing fit. Less critical (could get a cheaper one that works just as well) includes firing pin, mag release, recoil spring mechanism, main spring housing and spring. Is there anything I'm missing or need to focus on (or just plain wrong about?) And finally, for those all so critical parts, anyone have any personal suggestions?

Good to hear you are going to tackle this yourself, as others have said, ask plenty of questions. The jerry kunhausen (sp?) 1911 books are great. They have a ton of reference on specifications of parts as well as exploded diagrams and then also some very helpful theory on why/how things work. Great books if you are going to be getting into the 1911 thing. I have been wanting to use a sarco GI kit and substitute some parts to get a really nice budget build. I can tell you what I would do and you can take from it what you would like.

1. The sights are gonna need replaced as well as cutting new dovetails in the slide for types of sights you wanna use. ($120)
    2. Stock extractor is prolly ok, but I would go with an upgraded extractor (I like the egw heavy duty for this type of build, but ed brown or wilson would serve you well also) ($50)
    3. Cut frame and add beavertail (ed brown is prolly easiest/best fitting to use) ($45)
    4. Personally, I would want to upgrade thumb safeties as well (I like the Les Baer ones, but I am not the norm on this) ($60)
    5. Match fit barrel bushing ($30)
    6. New trigger components (take ur pick, but I like koenig hammer, egw sear, and egw disconnector) ($140)
    I would use the factory barrel and at least see what type of accuracy I can get outta it

So...you have around $230 in a builders kit, you have to buy a frame $250ish and then another $450 in misc parts. Then you will have around $950 in your "budget build" without any kind of finish. Add another $500 or so to that and you can have a premium barrel and slide to replace the builders kit stuff.

Another option to get a really nice 1911 is to start with a springfield range officer and then add #6 above along with new mainspring components because of the factory lock system. You have around $700 in the pistol then another couple hundred in parts. But, you didnt get to build that one!!!

Top Bottom