• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • linc_man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    I love 1911s and have an itch for a smaller one at a decent price and happened across this fella GI 45 Micro Compact Springfield Armory
    just wondering if anyone has any experience using something like this as a ccw?
    thanks !!

linc_man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    yes something like that also im open to any kind !! as a friend once told me "im bisexual i can shoot a a glock or sig equally as well" !! haha

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    yes something like that also im open to any kind !! as a friend once told me "im bisexual i can shoot a a glock or sig equally as well" !! haha

Look, to each his/her own... but in MY world, saying you're equally attracted to THIS hairy ass and THAT OTHER hairy ass =/= "bisexual".

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Might look at them new Kimbers they got out. Nice pistol for the money. Only draw back I seen on 1 is they are factory ammo specific.
    Unless it's a 22 I don't buy factory ammo.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    That is the same as the Kimber Ultra models as well as a Colt Defender. I have and carry both. They shoot hollow points and fmj just fine. The recoil is very manageable.

Mark

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    My EDC is a Kimber Compact Stainless II it eats any ammo I put in it and shoots my hand-loads just fine. I just added a Wilson mag well to it today, I like it a lot...

WilsonMagwell.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've never had a bit of trouble with my Kimber Ultra Carry. I think manufacturers have the 3" 1911s pretty well figured out. I have to say, that Springfield looks a heck of a lot nicer than my Ultra Carry does. There's just something a bit more business like about it.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I've enjoyed carrying both a 3" and a 4" Springfield for years... I opted for the Loaded packages due to the larger, ambi safety and night sights. If you want it as a CCW and are ok with the smaller safety, go for it!

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Actually you should be a little nervous to some extent. To get over being nervous about it on your next day off strap it on with no rounds in it and carry it around the house all day cocked and locked while bending, sitting, playing with the dog, getting in and out of your vehicle and buckle in and out of the seat belt, etc., etc. and then check to see if the safety is still firmly engaged. Reach back every once in a while and push the hammer back as far as it will go and see if the safety still holds it back. If the safety is properly fitted and your holster is not trying to push it off you'll see that it's really a pretty safe arrangement. If it's going to come off safe it's better on an unloaded gun. I have seen a few carry rigs though that would cause the safety to push off. Make sure that yours won't do that. Try everything you can think of to cause it to unlock. If it passes that test you should be OK. When considering a Kimber be very very wary. Kimber has put out an awful lot of guns and some of them actually worked properly. A lot of them had problems that should have been caught by quality control but were not. Kimber's QC got so bad for a while that their marketing geniuses came up with the whole "run a couple hundred more rounds through it and see if maybe now it works". Ridiculous. Guns don't require "breaking in" to be functional. It will knock any burrs off but if it doesn't run safely 100% out of the box then the factory is cranking out volume and paying no attention to quality. What really amazes me is how so many people believed this load of crap. It's KOOL AID kids. Do not drink it. I read forums every day where people discuss how many rounds are necessary to "break in" a 1911. Just smile and walk away and don't accept poor quality control.

Last edited:

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Drail, that is great suggestion. Thanks!

The model I bought is a compact Colt 1991A1. The good news is the the safety lever is small, locks positive and difficult to get inadvertently disengaged. The bad news is that the safety is small and difficult to get intentionally disengaged.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Practice with it and you'll get used to finding the safety. Unless you have some kind of deformed thumb. I shot guns for years with extended safeties in competition. When I modded a 1911 for CCW I took all the race parts off of it. My CCW has a WW 1 GI thumb safety on it. Tiny little tab. It works just fine and doesn't snag on things. Repetitious practice is the key. Draw and pop off the safety 1000 times and your hand will learn to find it no matter what your brain is doing. Look at your holster and make sure no parts of it or retaining straps can get anywhere near the safety. Twist it and pull it and bump it. Your imagination will point any possible bad stuff. Murphy runs the universe and he's always right behind you looking for an opportunity. Always look at stuff while asking "what if?"

Last edited:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Actually you should be a little nervous to some extent. To get over being nervous about it on your next day off strap it on with no rounds in it and carry it around the house all day cocked and locked while bending, sitting, playing with the dog, getting in and out of your vehicle and buckle in and out of the seat belt, etc., etc. and then check to see if the safety is still firmly engaged. Reach back every once in a while and push the hammer back as far as it will go and see if the safety still holds it back. If the safety is properly fitted and your holster is not trying to push it off you'll see that it's really a pretty safe arrangement. If it's going to come off safe it's better on an unloaded gun. I have seen a few carry rigs though that would cause the safety to push off. Make sure that yours won't do that. Try everything you can think of to cause it to unlock. If it passes that test you should be OK. When considering a Kimber be very very wary. Kimber has put out an awful lot of guns and some of them actually worked properly. A lot of them had problems that should have been caught by quality control but were not. Kimber's QC got so bad for a while that their marketing geniuses came up with the whole "run a couple hundred more rounds through it and see if maybe now it works". Ridiculous. Guns don't require "breaking in" to be functional. It will knock any burrs off but if it doesn't run safely 100% out of the box then the factory is cranking out volume and paying no attention to quality. What really amazes me is how so many people believed this load of crap. It's KOOL AID kids. Do not drink it. I read forums every day where people discuss how many rounds are necessary to "break in" a 1911. Just smile and walk away and don't accept poor quality control.

Have you personally had a bad experience with Kimber, or are you going off of what you have read on the internet? I have never had any kind of failure with my Kimber, the fit function and accuracy is second to none. The trigger is crisp and light. In comparison to other 1911's I have owned, Colt and Springfield there is no comparison. IMHO the Kimber is far superior out of the box...

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana

Oh nooo!!!.....Duck yer head, dude.....'cause it's come'n at'cha,haha!.....:):

Pers'nally....I could'n 'gree more.......over-rated and x'tremely overpriced,and uuhhh....over-hyped.........'long with the Glocks......:cool:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Oh nooo!!!.....Duck yer head, dude.....'cause it's come'n at'cha,haha!.....:):

Pers'nally....I could'n 'gree more.......over-rated and x'tremely overpriced,and uuhhh....over-hyped.........'long with the Glocks......:cool:

Your gonna need to say some hail Mary's or something after using Kimber and Glock in the same sentence... :D

Top Bottom