• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've had mixed results with Duracoat. Over a parkerized finish, it's very durable. I've also had good luck with it over a cold blued finish but over bare metal, it's failed pretty quickly. I did not grit blast the bare metal as recommended though, which may have impacted the durability. I also baked each part in a toaster oven when complete. Cerakote is the better finish though, but may require more equipment or skill than I could muster.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've had mixed results with Duracoat. Over a parkerized finish, it's very durable. I've also had good luck with it over a cold blued finish but over bare metal, it's failed pretty quickly. I did not grit blast the bare metal as recommended though, which may have impacted the durability. I also baked each part in a toaster oven when complete. Cerakote is the better finish though, but may require more equipment or skill than I could muster.

Cera Coat work I have been a part of started with a sand blasting cabinet and them a good dip in an acetone tank/pan. Remove, drip dry. Heat up and coat then back to the oven.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I think you should look at AIR DRY cerekote. If you try and stick that puppy in an oven that gets hot enough for cerekote I think your JB well will distort. Worst case if it does though is blast the coating back off and fill the marks back in.

Whatever you spray it with Sand blasting and degreasing are the keys to a durable finish. Don't skimp there.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Very nice!! Coming along pretty cool!

I have always like this black and silver combo, I know it would be a little more difficult but I just love how it looks personally
    attachment.php

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    I think you should look at AIR DRY cerekote. If you try and stick that puppy in an oven that gets hot enough for cerekote I think your JB well will distort. Worst case if it does though is blast the coating back off and fill the marks back in.

Whatever you spray it with Sand blasting and degreasing are the keys to a durable finish. Don't skimp there.

I have never used the product, but JB weld states a continuous use temperature at a maximum of 450º. The linked pdf says to cure at 250º so it looks like the JB will be stable.

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/resources/files/training/Manual.pdf

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I am sitting here holding my Hot-Rod Range Officer imagining how I can make this work. HHhhmmmmmmmm.....:scratch:

Send it out for an NP3 finish, add a set of mammoth ivory grips and call it done. Don't go overboard and do the whole scrotum leather holster thing though, unless you want other folks to kindly decline your offer to let them hold the gun.

OP: After the frame finish, are you going to do any internal work on it?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have never used the product, but JB weld states a continuous use temperature at a maximum of 450º. The linked pdf says to cure at 250º so it looks like the JB will be stable.

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/resources/files/training/Manual.pdf

HUH, I had no idea it was that high... Maybe the stuff I have used in the past was different? On one of my cannon projects I had to weld a tab onto a piece where further down the metal I had a piece JB welded into place. I held it near that spot with my bare hand (I just did a small tack weld to see how it would look)... that area got pretty warm but not so hot I couldn't touch it but the piece slid around a little cause the JB got soft.

Thinking on it alittle bit it may have been devcon steel epoxy I was using there.... Don't know what its temp rating is.

at 450 continuous temp, you should be good to go and cerekote would be your best choice for a factory quality finish.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Send it out for an NP3 finish, add a set of mammoth ivory grips and call it done. Don't go overboard and do the whole scrotum leather holster thing though, unless you want other folks to kindly decline your offer to let them hold the gun.

It has been re-done all the way through. Tightened the rails, Brown trigger/sear/spring, fusion match barrel/bushing, Archangel mag-well grips.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County

Nothin sets off a 1911 like a mammoth scrotum holster!

ryan3326

Marksman
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Sanded everything today with 600 grit to prepare for DuraCoat. Went with matte black and I will have a few polished accents and cocobolo grips. Here are some pics while the DuraCoat cures. Notice the logos are 100% gone. Also ordered Kimber Tac Mags, extended stainless magwell, cocobolo grips, EB trigger. I am going to hold off on night sights until I finish.

Here is my "inspiration" for the coloration I chose except I am keeping the controls black.

JustinHHunterTrad-XL-2xx_zps2f7df653.jpg

95C0D92A-5056-4F4E-89B2-F62827B26159_zpsgrcomz56.jpg

334172D2-8DBD-4C01-9734-215C7BA81F05_zpsxxsymsdu.jpg

1BB88F7D-0802-4F91-AF67-C3E26E8DCE1D_zpsf3w5y1t8.jpg

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is very subtle. I just finished all the mechanical work on an RO that used to be a steel gun. Optics mount with threaded holes in the dust cover. All that is gone but the holes remain. It needs to be refinished so now is the right time to rub on it and weld up the holes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Springfield RO. Pic is the rails being lapped in after tightening the slide/frame fit. You can see the holes in the dust cover where the optic mounted. You can also see where the slide clamps were if you look.

Top Bottom