• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockDoc

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Henry
    All of these are obviously competition quality guns. They're beautiful. I guess, my question now becomes, if it's even necessary on a gun I won't compete with, shoot, not even sure how often I'll carry it.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    People who were around USPSA back in the late 80s and early 90s will remember that when everybody went to comped .38 Supers with ridiculous loads suddenly everyone started sporting a beard (to cover up all the tiny wounds on their face from blowing cases out. They called it "super face". I'm not making this up........

Yes, but pf for major is now 10 lower, builders have gotten better about fully supporting chambers, and we've gotten smarter about loads. "Super face" is now a historic term...

All of these are obviously competition quality guns. They're beautiful. I guess, my question now becomes, if it's even necessary on a gun I won't compete with, shoot, not even sure how often I'll carry it.

i would personally never carry a comped gun. Borrow one and shoot from high retention, I dare ya. Haha.

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Very limited utility for a carry gun. As rvb mentioned, you'll hurt yourself badly if you have to shoot it from most retention positions. You'll also cause yourself some trouble if you have to fire it inside of a vehicle or other small, enclosed space.

Unless your carry gun is a .38 super or 9x23mm, it's unlikely you'll derive much benefit from a compensator anyway.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    We ran some test many years ago and the comp on a 45 absolutely works. They just don't work as well as a 38 super or 9 major as there is not as much gas available. Put a piece of cardboard above a comped 45 and watch the results.
    Years ago the pin guns had barrel weights that looked like comps but no ports. Someone put a hole in the top and made a chamber. In the late 80's all the top USPSA shooters were using the comps instead of the barrel weights.
    It has been years but IIRC when we tested them we had a stock 1911 and a pin gun with barrel weight and comp gun all in 45.
    I can't recall all the data but the it seemed like the results showed the the comp had approximately half the muzzle rise of the barrel weight pin gun.
    Again this test was subjective and we did the best we could with what we had back then.

As for the durability(the supers) if the gun was built right they would last as long as a 45 1911. Since the supers usually ran jacketed bullets a barrel wouldn't last as long as a 45 shooting lead. I usually got around 40-50K out of a barrel before the accuracy would start dropping off. Barrels and gunsmithing has improved over the years so that might not be as big a deal anymore.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We ran some test many years ago and the comp on a 45 absolutely works. They just don't work as well as a 38 super or 9 major as there is not as much gas available. Put a piece of cardboard above a comped 45 and watch the results.
    Years ago the pin guns had barrel weights that looked like comps but no ports. Someone put a hole in the top and made a chamber. In the late 80's all the top USPSA shooters were using the comps instead of the barrel weights.
    It has been years but IIRC when we tested them we had a stock 1911 and a pin gun with barrel weight and comp gun all in 45.
    I can't recall all the data but the it seemed like the results showed the the comp had approximately half the muzzle rise of the barrel weight pin gun.
    Again this test was subjective and we did the best we could with what we had back then.

As for the durability(the supers) if the gun was built right they would last as long as a 45 1911. Since the supers usually ran jacketed bullets a barrel wouldn't last as long as a 45 shooting lead. I usually got around 40-50K out of a barrel before the accuracy would start dropping off. Barrels and gunsmithing has improved over the years so that might not be as big a deal anymore.

Hi, Paul!

No one is disputing that gases will exhaust from the ports of a compensator on a .45ACP. That does not prove that net effects on muzzle rise are significant when compared to a .38 super.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Hi, Paul!

No one is disputing that gases will exhaust from the ports of a compensator on a .45ACP. That does not prove that net effects on muzzle rise are significant when compared to a .38 super.

Hi Joe hope to see you at the matches this year.

To be fair the op didn't say anything about Supers or 9MM. He just asked about comps om a 1911. Everyone assumed he meant 45.
    Everyone kinda jumped in and said that comps on 45's don't work well and are just barrel weights. This is not true.
    Yes the high pressure rounds have more gas to work the comp and makes them more efficient.
    A SWAG would be the super or 9mm comp would be 3 times more efficient than a 45 with a comp looking at the pressures.

We even used to run 150 grain bullets in the 45's with slower powders trying to work the comp harder.
    Did it make a difference? Maybe but you had to be better than I was to notice it:):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

To be fair the op didn't say anything about Supers or 9MM. He just asked about comps om a 1911. Everyone assumed he meant 45.
    Everyone kinda jumped in and said that comps on 45's don't work well and are just barrel weights. This is not true.
    Yes the high pressure rounds have more gas to work the comp and makes them more efficient.
    A SWAG would be the super or 9mm comp would be 3 times more efficient than a 45 with a comp looking at the pressures.

We even used to run 150 grain bullets in the 45's with slower powders trying to work the comp harder.
    Did it make a difference? Maybe but you had to be better than I was to notice it:):

Fun Story of the Old Days:

I have the old Colt that Jim Brown used to shoot. When Darrel Stonebraker built it (before Jim had it), he built it with a comp. I know they used 150 (152?) gr bullets trying to make it work better, but then they gave up and just went with supers. So he fitted a standard barrel to it and it became the limited gun that Jim used to make M before he quit shooting. It probably had close to 250K round through it before I got it! Then after I bought it, somehow the original comped barrel showed-up in my brother's possession. Sometime I'll see if he'll let me drop it back in the gun and see how it works. Nostalgia!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Darrel Stonebraker. Now there's a name I ain't heard in a long time. Is he still in the bidness?

Yep, sure is. I don't think he's taking any more gunsmithing work at this point, though. Just running the shop takes most of his time. He hasn't shot any matches for years.

He did some amazing work over the years and he's a good man!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

In truth the Ruger in the Pic I posted does benefit from the comp. barrel.
    The spouse had some medical issues that caused some strength loss . She immediately noticed the improvement in muzzle rise when I put her behind that gun.
    Everyone that has ran it notices as well.
    Was it enough over non-comp. to justify the expense...???
    That would be up to the individual.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Fun Story of the Old Days:

I have the old Colt that Jim Brown used to shoot. When Darrel Stonebraker built it (before Jim had it), he built it with a comp. I know they used 150 (152?) gr bullets trying to make it work better, but then they gave up and just went with supers. So he fitted a standard barrel to it and it became the limited gun that Jim used to make M before he quit shooting. It probably had close to 250K round through it before I got it! Then after I bought it, somehow the original comped barrel showed-up in my brother's possession. Sometime I'll see if he'll let me drop it back in the gun and see how it works. Nostalgia!

Do it and let me/us know please.

GlockDoc

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Henry
    I never even considered drawing and firing, and the effects it would have on those motions. Really glad I posted here. As for now, I don't believe I'll be adding a comp. Thanks everyone.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    +1 for clark custom.

While mine is on a 460 rowland kit, it has less recoil than a normal 45acp by a considerable margin. Exceptionally effective compensator.

VMjixSd.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    +1 for clark custom.

While mine is on a 460 rowland kit, it has less recoil than a normal 45acp by a considerable margin. Exceptionally effective compensator.

VMjixSd.jpg

I reckognized the Clark comp right away.

As to draw/fire, with practice there are no issues. I do this with the comped Ruger all the time.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I know a guy with a commander length carry comp in 45 that is very effective. ��. The design is very effective to the point the pistol is boring to shoot. Recoil is pretty much straight back into your hand with little to no muzzle rise. Follow up shots are extremely quick since you are back on target...actually the sights didn't move much on target. AllenM did an awesome job putting that one together.

Top Bottom