• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AtlasDM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2012
    So I was thinking about picking up a Tokerev pistol (just because none of my shooting buddies have one) and while I was browsing I found a company that does conversion kits for 1911s so they chamber the 7.62x25 Tokerev round. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these conversions or the Tokerev in general. Kind of a neat idea I think. This gun wouldn't fill any particular niche other than to be unique among my circle of friends. What do you all think?

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I had a Tok for a awhile a few years back...7.62x25 is a pretty snappy little round. The weight of the 1911 should tame it quite a bit though. Interestingly enough, a few 1911's captured by the VC in Vietnam were converted to 7.62!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Here is the link to the conversion kit I've been looking at. I'm thinking about searching for a good deal on a used 'donor' gun that I'll convert. Then depending on the condition I'll get it dura-coated and put new grips on it.

7.62x25 Tokarev Barrel kit, 5 inch, for 1911 Gov't models in 9mm or 38 Super. New, by J&G Sales.

The frame:

Sarco, Inc. - Search

The slide:

1911 Gun Parts, Slides, Frames, Barrels, Triggers, Safeties & Accessories, Barrel with Compensator, Accuracy & Frame Kit - SARCO, Inc.

This puts you at $335 plus the conversion kit (using all new parts).

other guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Peru Indiana
    you can pick up a used Yugo m57 tok for around 200. It is basically a russian copy of a 1911 in the 7.62 x 25. It is a very hot round at about 1400 fps. The round is still used in some of the old Soviet bloc countries in sub machine guns and is to hot for a m57. It is around 1800 fps. The Chek CZ52 will handle these hot rounds but is a different design than the 1911 . The main trouble with the 7.62x25 round is that the mil-surp ammo seems to be drying up. A couple of years ago you could by 1260 rnd tins at 10 cents a round. All I see today is commercial stuff at over $20 a box. For that reason I would shy away from it. The Tok round is comparable to the Sig 357 magnum. Good luck in whatever direction you go.

other guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Peru Indiana
    you can pick up a used Yugo m57 tok for around 200. It is basically a russian copy of a 1911 in the 7.62 x 25. It is a very hot round at about 1400 fps. The round is still used in some of the old Soviet bloc countries in sub machine guns and is to hot for a m57. It is around 1800 fps. The Chek CZ52 will handle these hot rounds but is a different design than the 1911 . The main trouble with the 7.62x25 round is that the mil-surp ammo seems to be drying up. A couple of years ago you could by 1260 rnd tins at 10 cents a round. All I see today is commercial stuff at over $20 a box. For that reason I would shy away from it. The Tok round is comparable to the Sig 357 magnum. Good luck in whatever direction you go.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    For the price of the conversion kit you can come close to buying a Yugo Tok, or a CZ 52. If you want to tinker with building a different pistol, it would be a fun project. I am a big fan of that caliber.

Dave

AtlasDM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I've thought about having something in 7.62x25 like a CZ-52 or similar gun and I might get one just as a collector's item but I'm considering the converted 1911 just for the "show off" value. We'll see how it goes and I'll post pics later on.

As far as shooting through body armor goes (not sure if it was mentioned here or another Tokarev thread), I'll believe it when I see it. I've seen the YouTube videos where the guy claims to shoot through level IIIA armor but what he's actually shooting is a soft trauma insert. It's not actually body armor and it offers no ballistic protection. It's meant to help disperse blunt trauma from punches, kicks, clubs, etc. I've got them for both of my personal IIIA vests.

Top Bottom