• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ejmunden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Hey guys, I need some help.

I have been considering getting a 1911 for a couple of months now but I've only ever shot one (being a proud Glock owner) but always like to diversify my gun portfolio. The fact of getting one is not the dilemma, the problem is deciding which one, as there are many options. To add to the confusion I have been offer 3 different 1911's from a gentleman who needs to liquidate his collection due to Uncle Sam wanting paid. The options are as followed 1) Kimber Team Match II - NIB. (also comes with a factory Kimber .22 cal conversion kit) 2) Colt Delta Elite almost NIB. 3) Para-Ordnance .45 unknown model (haven't seen the actual gun yet). Assuming that money was not the issue because they are all very reasonably priced, which one would you go with and why.

Thanks for all the input.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Depending on price, the Kimber sounds good. If the Delta is 10MM, that would be a cool one to have, but I think it would be more of a collector than a shooter (IMO). Don't know about the Para. Some folks love them, some folks hate them. I don't have experience with them.

Ejmunden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Yes, the Delta is a 10mm. That is another factor, I would like to be able to use my choice as a carry weapon.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Start with a Para Ordinance P-12 or a P-14 if you have a hand able to deal with the double stack grip. I have both and love them. Also consider Springfield. They have several options in varied price ranges and all are great shooters.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    HAHAHA!! Great spoof on James Yeager! Hes even got the shoulder twitch down!!

I would definately rather listen to Que being sarcastic than listen to Yeager spew his nonsence.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Perfect play on Yeager...perfect....I want a blue gun now.

OP, there are so many good 1911's available. I like my Para's and my Springers and My Colts. I don't favor the RIA's but some on here really like them. There are others. They all look close and feel similar. My Springer Trophy Match is just heaven to shoot. You need to get acquainted with a few before you jump in. Once you are addicted one is too many and 8 is not enough. Just my personal experience.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    As a previous poster stated it might matter what price they are being offered to you. For the price that a team match goes for or even a delta elite you can just take cash to an LGS and buy any quality factory 1911 of your choice.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I just went through picking my virgin 1911 as well. For me it came down to a Para, Sig and a used Kimber. I ended up going with the Kimber and couldn't be happier. No knocks on the other ones, just happy with what I got.

civicisaye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Delta Elite, just MHO. Love the 10mm and double tap has some great defense rounds available. However, I do not personally have any experience with 1911s, but I'd like to...

flick1900

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Troy, IN
    Hey guys, I need some help.

I have been considering getting a 1911 for a couple of months now but I've only ever shot one (being a proud Glock owner) but always like to diversify my gun portfolio. The fact of getting one is not the dilemma, the problem is deciding which one, as there are many options. To add to the confusion I have been offer 3 different 1911's from a gentleman who needs to liquidate his collection due to Uncle Sam wanting paid. The options are as followed 1) Kimber Team Match II - NIB. (also comes with a factory Kimber .22 cal conversion kit) 2) Colt Delta Elite almost NIB. 3) Para-Ordnance .45 unknown model (haven't seen the actual gun yet). Assuming that money was not the issue because they are all very reasonably priced, which one would you go with and why.

Thanks for all the input.

KIMBER

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Honestly I don't think any of the guns listed would be a good starter 1911, but that's just me. But given the options listed and money not being a factor I'd go with the Kimber. I am a true 10MM fan and shoot several of them but it is to much power for a beginning 1911 shooter. You might blame the gun for the power of the cartridge. Para makes a lot of models so it's hard to say which one it is. I don't really care for double stack 45s just because of their size and weight. I don't like the LDA models either, never could get used to that trigger. So with that being said and trying to stay within the parameters of the question I would go Kimber, Para, Delta. But like previously mentioned above unless you can get any of these at an extreme bargain I'd shop around and select a 1911 that fits your needs and is more reasonably priced. If you like it then move up from there. YMMV. :twocents:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I would go with kimber as a higher end option among your options....if you want something inexpensive, I'd suggest a RIA (with sights and grip upgrade, optional though)

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Honestly I don't think any of the guns listed would be a good starter 1911, but that's just me. But given the options listed and money not being a factor I'd go with the Kimber. I am a true 10MM fan and shoot several of them but it is to much power for a beginning 1911 shooter. You might blame the gun for the power of the cartridge. Para makes a lot of models so it's hard to say which one it is. I don't really care for double stack 45s just because of their size and weight. I don't like the LDA models either, never could get used to that trigger. So with that being said and trying to stay within the parameters of the question I would go Kimber, Para, Delta. But like previously mentioned above unless you can get any of these at an extreme bargain I'd shop around and select a 1911 that fits your needs and is more reasonably priced. If you like it then move up from there. YMMV. :twocents:

Why is a kimber not a good option for a starter 1911? I started out with a 5" tactical warrior....

032f1f79.jpg

Elmore's had another one almost like mine for $1k IIRC

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Why is a kimber not a good option for a starter 1911? I started out with a 5" tactical warrior....

032f1f79.jpg

Elmore's had another one almost like mine for $1k IIRC

Sometimes I don't get my point across very well. I love Kimbers and have a few. I was thinking that for someone who has never shot or owned a 1911 style pistol that there are less expensive options to start off with. Then if you like the platform and want to upgrade the sky's the limit. Also the Kimber listed is set up for target shooting IIRC, could be wrong though.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Sometimes I don't get my point across very well. I love Kimbers and have a few. I was thinking that for someone who has never shot or owned a 1911 style pistol that there are less expensive options to start off with. Then if you like the platform and want to upgrade the sky's the limit. Also the Kimber listed is set up for target shooting IIRC, could be wrong though.

My mom always told me if I know what I want, don't settle for less

Top Bottom