• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    I recently sold a new Nighthawk Talon (huge mistake). I just couldn't bring myself to shoot a $2000+ 1911. After talking to a few of my friends (who said it is just a gun, shoot it) I am now researching for someone to build me a 1911 to my specs.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    I purchased a new Wilson Classic in February. I own serveral Springfields and Colts. I have also owned a few Kimber over the years. The Wilson's slide to frame fit is better than anything else I have owned. Without shooting a Wilson it is hard to explain the difference in workmanship. Production 1911's are factory parts made into a gun. With Wilson, the gun is made by a gunsmiths with the parts fitted to that gun.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My 1911 will knock down targets harder than any of y'alls. :D

1911.jpg

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I've never fired an expensive 1911.
    I got my Rock Island 1911 for $299.
    It fired first time and every time right out of the box, no trigger job, no special lightweight hammer. It just goes bang every time.

Same thing with my Ballister Molina. Cost around $300 and it goes bang everytime, no fuss, no muss, just very smooth operation.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've never fired an expensive 1911.
    I got my Rock Island 1911 for $299.
    It fired first time and every time right out of the box, no trigger job, no special lightweight hammer. It just goes bang every time.

Hey! Wait!

That's not supposed to be possible! We all "know" that any 1911 you bring home from the store won't function without a couple of thousand dollars' worth of gunsmithing! They're just downright unreliable guns! In fact, I don't think you can even make them reliable! It's impossible! The design is too old!

:D

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have a para-ordnance LTC and I like it a lot especially after ai refinished it but seem to end up carrying one of myCZ's most of the time?

TraderJack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hey! Wait!

That's not supposed to be possible! We all "know" that any 1911 you bring home from the store won't function without a couple of thousand dollars' worth of gunsmithing! They're just downright unreliable guns! In fact, I don't think you can even make them reliable! It's impossible! The design is too old!

:D

Yeah.. I do appreciate your tongue-in-cheek humor! And you're absolutely correct. If the damn thing wont run, send it back! Period!

Any 1911 should run great right out of the box. Even if it's assembled from parts you have just laying around it should run fine - might take a little tweeking to get things to fit together, but it should run.

It doesnt' matter if it was made in the Phillipines, Phillidelphia, or Phils garage!

The reason guys like to spend big $$$ on 1911s is for the prestige of owning a fine firearm. It's hand fitted, hand polished, hand assembled and finely tuned. To some, that's worth a lot. To others, not so much.

Personally, I can't see having a fancy gun that I couldn't or wouldn't shoot every day. If I can't shoot it, I don't want it.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    I purchased my Wilson to shoot and as an everyday carry gun. I will also be using it to shoot single stack in USPSA once I get my classification in limited with my Para.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    kimber is a queen 1911. When the spec sheet says you have to replace the spring after 800 to 1k its not for me.

:rolleyesedit:

Springs wear out in all guns. Replacing them is standard maintenance. I dislike Kimbers due to the completely unnecessary Schwartz safety.

Buy what works I'd rather have a Rock that allways fires then a Kimber that looks good in a safe.

Agreed. The RIA Tactical is the best value in the m1911 market. Swap out the sights for your preferred style and replace the FLGR with a mil-spec version and you have nearly the perfect m1911 for ~$400 + the cost of the sights.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I wish I had the funds to be able to own a high end, custom built 1911. However, I LOVE my Taurus PT1911, I have never had a single problem with it since I got it, about 2500 rounds ago.

Top Bottom