• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I thought about buying my first 1911 that's under $600. But I really thought it would be smarter to wait and save up more money to buy a better one.

Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I didn't want to go cheap.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I thought about buying my first 1911 that's under $600. But I really thought it would be smarter to wait and save up more money to buy a better one.

Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I didn't want to go cheap.

iagree.gif
    You can buy the Kimber Custom II for $725 or so new, one just went on GunsAmerica for $710

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I just passed on a Ballester Molina for $311. The ones I would stay away from are the Charles Daly's. They just feel really cheap.

My understanding is that the Ballistar Molinas are not 100% interchangeable with standard 1911 parts (weren't they Spanish military issue at some point way back when?)

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    My understanding is that the Ballistar Molinas are not 100% interchangeable with standard 1911 parts (weren't they Spanish military issue at some point way back when?)

Ballester Molinas are decent guns, but they are not 1911s. The barrels and mags are 1911 but nothing else, the trigger is hinged and it has no grip safety, among other differences. I picked one up a while ago and it shoots pretty well but parts, while available, are not 1911 common.

My first 1911 was a Rock Island and it got me hooked on 1911s, I now have a variety of sizes and brands, some costing three times what the RIA did. Rock Island is the best bargain out there and I would not hesitate to recommend one to anyone.

DRAIN SURGEON

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Mooresvile
    I have the RIA tatical officers cs 45. and it runs ball and hp with no problems it has never jammed or failed in any way . I have wilson combat and colt mags and they work fine. I highly recommend RIA.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Greenfield
    Plainfield Shooting Supplies sells Springfield Armory Mil-Specs for $599. Thats the cheapest place around that i have found. Probably one of the best quality 1911's for the price.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a RIA Compact as well as a pair of Kimbers and a Springer. The RIA compares very well against any of them. With Wilson Combat mags, it's been perfect. I'd rate it the same as the Kimbers and a tick above my Springer in terms of reliability and in the middle of the pack in terms of accuracy.

Quigley56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    I just picked up a RIA to keep in the Jeep 'cause I just put a big scratch on my Kimber Combat Elite with the seat belt..
    I took the RIA out today and the factory mag is a P.O.S. Three FTFs in the first 8 rounds but my Chip McCormick Shooting star 8 rounders performed flawlessly in it. I fired 150 rounds with the CMC mags and I'm liking the gun enough to carry it without a second thought.
    I'm a Kimber and old Colt 70 series GCNM fan but this RIA is an eye opener. Very accurate, tight, smooth, and for a utility 45 it's excellent.
    I will put a Wilson Beavertail in it this weekend as the grip safety digs into my hand when firing. It's only a $35 drop in part and takes less than 15 minutes to install so it's a non-issue. That's not limited to RIA but all guns with military type grip.
    For the $$ I'd have to give it a sore "Thumbs UP"
    For a full size 1911 with lifetime warranty it's hard to beat. I pulled it down and don't see any poor machine work or nasties inside.
    Will GI issue 1911 mags work in these pistols; does anyone know?

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    In theory, all GI mags will work in all full size (government) frames. Cheap mags, however, are probably the single biggest cause of 1911 malfunctions. Some guns are fussier than others, my RIA has worked with every mag I have ever tried in it.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    You really can't go wrong with a Springer. If you can find one in the price range, I would go with a mil-spec over the GI. If you want to customize it down the road, the mil-spec already has the lowered and flared ejection port...

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    My .38 Super is a RIA.
    Other than a crappy factory magazine, I've very happy with it.
    No problems at all since I got some Colt magazines.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    For that price and under try the STI Spartan. What I like about them for the price is their slide to frame fit is as tight and some specs tighter than all my Kimbers. My boy can use my STI and shoot better groups than I do with my Kimbers.

Guess thats old age, failing eyes and like I tell him ....I don't want to show him up

Top Bottom