• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    I got to wondering, if you wanted to could you keep one 1911 frame set up the way you like and change slide/barrel/spring to have a full size or commander depending upon need or mood of the day?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That's sure possible, but a 1911 is not like a lot of other guns that can swap parts easily. The slide and barrel would need to be fit specifically to that frame and once you went to that expense, you might just as well buy the second gun and enjoy two 1911s.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Yes and no, It would have to be a custom build based on a full size frame. A Commander size slide won't work on an unmodified full size frame.
    However if you were to cut a full size slide short and install a bull barrel you could have both length guns with a slide swap.
    Easiest way to do it. plus a Gov dust cover on a commander slide looks cool :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes and no, It would have to be a custom build based on a full size frame. A Commander size slide won't work on an unmodified full size frame.
    However if you were to cut a full size slide short and install a bull barrel you could have both length guns with a slide swap.
    Easiest way to do it. plus a Gov dust cover on a commander slide looks cool :)

Enabler.........:)

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I am starting to shop for a Commander to build a comp gun on...so sad but seeing as I own the barrel it would be a shame to let it go to waste...
    Sounds like perfectly good reasoning. Much easier and cheaper to build a gun than to deal with all those wackos if you were to try to sell that barrel...

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I am starting to shop for a Commander to build a comp gun on...so sad but seeing as I own the barrel it would be a shame to let it go to waste...

A comp gun like this??? or Competition gun? I know a guy that can build either one... or both..:) And for the record, this one shoots as good as it looks.

Last edited:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    It has new pretty wood grips now. We need to plan an AllenM range day and everyone with AllenM customs can sample a variety of his work.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I'm not a 1911 expert, but it seems to me that if you had 2 complete slide assemblies (1 full size and 1 commander), they could be swapped back and forth on a full size frame.
    I think as long as you didn't expect a perfect slide/frame fit on both, it could be done, right?

Count me in for a shoot too!

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Sorry OP but...

I would really like to do it at a rifle range so I could warm up my latest toys.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana

A comp gun like this??? or Competition gun? I know a guy that can build either one... or both..:) And for the record, this one shoots as good as it looks.

Oddly enough I know a guy who can build one too...me...lol. Not my first 1911 build...or 2nd or 3rd...not even my tenth :D. I will be using this barrel set up in it

View attachment 41473

Will end up slightly longer than a Government but only by one chamber on the comp.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    My ATI COMMANDER slide fits just fine on my springfield Armory government 1911 frame. But not vice versa. No need for a custom build. Just hope it fits.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My ATI COMMANDER slide fits just fine on my springfield Armory government 1911 frame. But not vice versa. No need for a custom build. Just hope it fits.

Barrel lock up is the key here. If you know what to look for cool. If not, well, you know.

Read post #3 again.

AllenM has handled/fired/built more 1911's than the average man will ever see. I trust his advice implicitly.

Top Bottom