• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I'm debating between a Kimber TLE-RL and a SA TRP Operator. The TRP is what I originally wanted, but the bomar style sight makes me want to punch infants. But if the TRP is THAT much better than the TLE, I'll probably just suck it up (or sell it in 6 months.) And i'm looking at ~$950 for the TLE and ~$1350 for the TRP Operator. It's not a question of money, I can afford the operator. I honestly just hate the sights that much. And the TLE is the most similar thing I could find that's comparably priced with a Light Rail.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I've got a TLE without the RL, and it is a very sweet gun. The TLE is the model that LAPD SWAT uses (not that it means anything, more for reference for you). The TRP I have no practical knowledge of, but from what I understand is an outstanding gun. I can guarantee you that you will not be unhappy with the TLE if thats the route you decide to go, but to throw another monkey wrench into it, unless the rail is a must for you the Baer TRS is a very nice gun also. Here is a pic of my TLE.

NewKImber006.jpg

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    I just recently bought a TRP and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. It is an awesome gun that has shot everything I have put through it so far(about 700-800 rounds in 3 range trips) without a single issue. I would happily buy another one personally.:draw:

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I just recently bought a TRP and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. It is an awesome gun that has shot everything I have put through it so far(about 700-800 rounds in 3 range trips) without a single issue. I would happily buy another one personally.:draw:
    I'm not questioning how awesome the TRP is, if it didn't have a bomar rear sight, this thread wouldn't exist. I'm asking if the trp is worth the premium over the TLE including my disdain for the rear sight.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    One cannot argue the benefits vs. deficits of either model. Both will probably provide good service.

"You pay your money and take your choice."

Not to throw another monkey wrench into the deal, but have you looked at a Kimber SIS? Big sights, no Bomar style (Bomar has gone out of business by the way), and the way cool look.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    can you post a link to the sights? I am going to be building a full house custom 1911 and depending on the dovetail style i MAY be interested in purchasing them from you at a reduced rate allowing you to purchase sights of your choice without dishing out much more cash. i dont know anything about the bombar sights, but i think the springfield is a better gun

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    can you post a link to the sights? I am going to be building a full house custom 1911 and depending on the dovetail style i MAY be interested in purchasing them from you at a reduced rate allowing you to purchase sights of your choice without dishing out much more cash. i dont know anything about the bombar sights, but i think the springfield is a better gun

I can't replace it with regular sights... so it doesn't help me. here's a pic though. I hate theses things. If I get a TRP i'll have to do without a light rail.

08-100-530.jpg

Custom_MC_Operator_2_.jpg

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have had Kimber in the past and I currently own a TRP, the TRP IMHO is far better than the TLE. the more I shoot my TRP the more I like it, that said SA have other options as for operator 1911's.one being the Operator MC witch is an all steel rail 1911 and the other is the LW operator with a aluminum frame, those two are great choices.

Springfield Armory

Springfield Armory

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Yeah, I know about those. And i've thoughta bout them both extensively. I can also have the MC Operator upgraded to TRP Specs for ~$600 in the future. I think I might just do a TRP without a rail. I prefer a rail, but I think I'll be happier with the TRP. I'm all over the place, just weighing my options.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    You might consider calling Springfield and see if they could put a different sight set on the TRP for you. Hell, the worst they could say is no.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    You might consider calling Springfield and see if they could put a different sight set on the TRP for you. Hell, the worst they could say is no.

I did. I'd be looking at ~$2600 for an MC Operator upgraded to TRP specs or ~$2700 for a fully custom Operator. I would buy a Nighthawk or Wilson Combat for that money.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I did. I'd be looking at ~$2600 for an MC Operator upgraded to TRP specs or ~$2700 for a fully custom Operator. I would buy a Nighthawk or Wilson Combat for that money.

WOW.... That surprises me. One other consideration I might offer..... I don't think the TRP has the Swartz safety, while the Kimber does. My Kimbers are series 1 guns without that safety, and I much prefer them that way..... obviously your call....... just sayin' :patriot:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I was recently in the 1911 market. Looked at alot of SA and Kimber. Loved the way the Kimbers fit, but I was not impressed with the overall quality to money ratio. Every new Kimber I looked at already had a certain amount of corrosion on the stainless barrel. Talking with several people, this seems to be a comon problem with newer Kimbers. First off, quality stainless should resist corrosion like a champ. Seeing a new firearm with "factory" or "shelf" corrosion is enough to scare me away. Ended up buying a DW PM7..............which is really nothing like the TLE or TRP, but a fine firearm nonetheless. You should check out a DW Valor. At around $1400..........a wicked all-forged pistol...............

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I was recently in the 1911 market. Looked at alot of SA and Kimber. Loved the way the Kimbers fit, but I was not impressed with the overall quality to money ratio. Every new Kimber I looked at already had a certain amount of corrosion on the stainless barrel. Talking with several people, this seems to be a comon problem with newer Kimbers. First off, quality stainless should resist corrosion like a champ. Seeing a new firearm with "factory" or "shelf" corrosion is enough to scare me away. Ended up buying a DW PM7..............which is really nothing like the TLE or TRP, but a fine firearm nonetheless. You should check out a DW Valor. At around $1400..........a wicked all-forged pistol...............

No light rail on the Valor unfortunately.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    this is true............I wonder if DW will go that route in the future. With there rising popularity, you think that they would. It is tough to beat there fit and finish. As tight as it gets.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    the S&W TRS 1911 is also a sweet shooter.....................I guess I try and stick with the American made pistols (especially 1911's) as much as possible. You can't beat S&W's lifetime warranty. I've seen them for just over 1000. You may want to handle one of those before you make your decision if you get a chance.

Top Bottom