• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 96ramair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Delphi
    I just picked up a Springfield ultra compact and the guide spring is jacked up what should I replace the spring with??? Not sure if I should replace the guide rod too. It has a short guide rod in it know. Sre full lenght better?

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    You already have a very nice gun there. I would suggest that unless you are aspiring to be a gunsmith you replace the spring with a new one from Springfield or from any of the good aftermarket distributors, but stay with what you have unless you know the change will improve the performance of the weapon.

W

Wabatuckian

no advntage to full lenght rod,, replace stock spring evry 500 rnds on 3" 1911s

Sent from my Android device

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Call Springfield on the phone and they'll send you a new assembly. They sent me one at NO charge. It was even an improved version.
    Their customer service is second to none I've encountered. "TOM" has been the rep the last couple of times I've called and done business with them.
    I can't say enough good about them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I dont like the hole in the end of the gun because of the short guide rod either. Just doesn't look right .

I just replaced the full length guide rods in both my full-sized Springfield and Rock Island with GI guide rods and flat wire springs from Wilson, but I'm confused when you say there's a hole in the end of the gun. It was the opposite with mine. The full-length rods needed the hole to allow the slide to travel, but I had to buy closed-end caps when I went to the standard rods.

Also, on full-length vs. standard length, some folks are of the opinion that the full-length rods improve accuracy, but Les Baer uses standard length rods in their high end guns, and they guarantee they will group 2" at 50 yards or something like that. :dunno:

96ramair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Delphi
    I dont know how to add a pic. But if you google it it will show you. Instead of having s closed end it is opened at the recoil pug or bushing

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    You're going to have to deal with the hole due to the bushingless design. You can "plug" it, but it will never look like a bushing'ed 1911.

W

Wabatuckian

I think you are a tad low on that number. Typical paperwork from the factory suggests every 1500-1800 rounds.

wierd. 1911 = 2k to 5k rounds Commander = 1k rounds Officer = 500 rounds used to be rec.

new silicone springs lat longer tho

Sent from my Android device

Top Bottom