• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Martinsville
    I'm a colt guy but also hold kimbers and springfields in high regard. Rock Islands and such are great guns, but I personally would gather up the other $150-$200 that it would take to pick up a lightly used, higher valued piece. Be patient and buy used and you won't get hurt on a resale. If you are determined to buy new then Rock Island would be my choice.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I want to purchase my first 1911. On a limited budget, but don't wanna go super cheap. It will be for my CC/OC for when I'm not at work. Not too into decorative grips and such. Plain all black will do just nicely. Need some advice. (purchase is more future, say six months at min. I just want to do my homework) :ar15:

:laugh: Haha......If yer on a limit'd budget dude, ya wanna stay away from those 2, haha!.....They are fine weapons,not for the faint of wallet....just say'n.....:dunno:

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Since this will be a future purchase check out the different makes and models at the shops and see what you really need/ want in a 1911. This will help decide how much $$ you need/ want to spend.

Can you buy a stripped down bare bones 1911 or since its a CCW pistol at least have NS, extended slide release etc... (examples only)

Ive had great luck with my Kimbers, and they come with some of the extras that alot of folks end up adding to the base pistols later anyhow.... thus increasing the price.

Shop around, see what your likes and dislikes are and look for a good used 1911.

Good luck and keep us posted,

dondavis3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    DFW area
    I love my Kimber

It's a great gun

Kimber45CrimsonTraceGrips2.jpg

But they are expensive.

:cool:

KAS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I just went through this same dilemma over which 1911. I wanted something with some historical integrity, as the 1911 is a historical gun. However, I also wanted some of the more modern features that technology provides. I looked at and shot Kimbers, Colts, Wilson Combats, etc. All very nice guns but i wanted to be under $1,000. So, I looked at less expensive options: Rock Island, GI models & Range Officer. In the end, I bought a Springfield Armory Loaded: historical significance, glued metal and walnut grips to remain semi-true to the original and modern features of skeletonized trigger, trijicon night sights and modern, looped hammer. All for just over $800!

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    If it were me, I'd opt for the Kimber. I have this OCD thing about buying the quintessential American handgun, the 1911, with a Brazilian made frame. Springfield 1911 frames are made by Imbel. It's like buying a American Flag made in China. It's just wrong.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I want to purchase my first 1911. On a limited budget, but don't wanna go super cheap. It will be for my CC/OC for when I'm not at work. Not too into decorative grips and such. Plain all black will do just nicely. Need some advice. (purchase is more future, say six months at min. I just want to do my homework) :ar15:

What is your budget, IMO, for $700 you can not beat a Kimber Custom II*** for less, you would have to "hope" to find a good used 1911

For the "lowest cost" the Rock Island Armory seems to be a popular low cost 1911 at @ $400

Rock Island Armory - 1911-A1 Parkerized, .45 ACP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I like the Springfield Mil-spec with a flat mainspring housing. It's a good shooter with decent sights. I have one of their Loaded models too, and it shoots good. I use the Mil-spec much more often. Not sure why.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I had an issue with Kimber that I didn't have with Springfield Armory ... it's here.

Summary:
    Kimber Custom Shop builds me a gun. Plunger tube comes loose after less than 5k rounds (remember this is a $1900+ Custom Shop gun). Kimber wants to charge me for overnight shipping (both ways) to have it repaired since it is past the warranty period.

Springfield Armory, on the other hand, has handled every issue on their dime. I'm not just talking about defects or repairs. This has included adjustments or tweaks.
    This could be why I own one Kimber and four Springfields.

Remember, you're not just buying a gun. You are also buying a relationship with a manufacuturer. Hopefully, you will not need to develop that relationship but it's nice to know that they will stand by their product all the way.

Top Bottom