• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Ok here's the scoop; I have three different magazines that I use in my SA GI 1911. One is the factory 7 round mag, one is a Chip McCormick Shooting star that holds 8 rounds, and the other is a stainless Mec Gar 7 rounder.

When I first shot this firearm, all my mags had no problems loading a round into the chamber. The first day I shot, i used nothing but various JHPs from federal, winchester, fiochi, speer...all types. No problems at all on day one of my shoot of all JHPs.

Now, after I've shot ball on my second range trip I had no problems either, with any mag.

After cleaning and field stripping today and yesterday, to a point where I became proficient, I tried loading some rounds into the chamber.

Only my Mec Gar will load JHPs consistently into the chamber. All the others get stuck in the feed ramp (nose diving). They will all still load ball consistently though. I thought Mccormicks were a decent mag? And like I said ALL MAGS used on the first day I shot (all JHPs) ran perfectly...

Did I do something to offset the feed ramp from the throat of the barrel? I don't think I have, but something is up...any suggestions/thoughts?

I can't have only one mag consistently loading my JHPs, I need them to all function like they did on day one (which I had zero nose dives, no FTF or FTE's).

Should I just toss out my factory and Shooting star mag and go with Mec Gars or Wilson Combats? Or should I polish both the throat and feed ramp? :n00b:

Help please? I'm a new 1911 guy here, gimme a break :crying: ..lol.

Last edited:

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    Strip your mags and clean them. When you get ready to put your mags back together start reading about tuning mags.

I keep reading all of these posts about bad mags and I wonder how many people take the time to tune their mags to their pistol. I have made five dollar mags run the way I wanted with a good rebuild.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Funny all was well until takedown. I'd take it back down and make sure reassembly went back together correctly. IF all was working properly until then it's where I'd start.

Octomonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Markle
    Definitely check everything possible that could've been slightly moved out of alignment on the gun. It's not much to put a gun out of whack. I'm almost 100% certain saying it is not a problem with the mags, though.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Thanks for all the tips ya'll. I did tear the gun down again, and made sure all was well. I don't know, it seems like it's the ammo at this point...but then again, why would it run the same type of ammo 2 days prior?

Any 1911 gurus close to me, who wouldn't mind taking a gander at it for me?

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Strip your mags and clean them. When you get ready to put your mags back together start reading about tuning mags.

I keep reading all of these posts about bad mags and I wonder how many people take the time to tune their mags to their pistol. I have made five dollar mags run the way I wanted with a good rebuild.

How can it be the mags for sure when they all cycle ball ammo fine?

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Diagnosing gun issues over the internet is difficult on a good day.

Diagnosing 1911s ability to run hollowpoints from cheap mags over the internet, is even harder.

I think having someone look at it who knows what they are doing is the best idea.

But first, I would try a good mag.

Chip McCormick Power Mag 8
    Tripp 8

It will be a lot cheaper than a trip to the gunsmith.

ShootinDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    how was the gun lubed when you ran the hp's? wet,dry,oil,grease? Makes more difference than you think. Used to be some stuff (maybe still is) called rig +p grease that would even let old gi guns run hp

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy

Diagnosing 1911s ability to run hollowpoints from cheap mags over the internet, is even harder.

I think having someone look at it who knows what they are doing is the best idea.

Tripp 8

I have a Chip mag, and it's not running correctly. But my Mec Gar is...hmmm

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy

Tripp 8

Also, the ONE cheap mag I have, ran fine on the first shoot...I don't understand..

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I run Chip McCormick mags but the name in the mag means nothing if the mag doesn't fit the gun. You might have bent the follower in the mag or whatever and the follower needs adjusted. All I am saying is make sure the follower is true and the feed ramp is clean. Then we can go from there.

9/10 1911 problems are mag related. Buying a name brand mag doesn't make a magic fix.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I run Chip McCormick mags but the name in the mag means nothing if the mag doesn't fit the gun. You might have bent the follower in the mag or whatever and the follower needs adjusted. All I am saying is make sure the follower is true and the feed ramp is clean. Then we can go from there.

9/10 1911 problems are mag related. Buying a name brand mag doesn't make a magic fix.

I understand that, but the Chip mag ran fine not once but twice, and I mean ran flawlessly. The followers are proper, and the ramp is clean. :dunno: Perhaps some polishing is in order.

ShootinDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    disconnecter not binding in any way? have seen crud/burrs here slow down slide momentum enough that would still feed ball but not push hp up the feed ramp

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I understand that, but the Chip mag ran fine not once but twice, and I mean ran flawlessly. The followers are proper, and the ramp is clean. :dunno: Perhaps some polishing is in order.

Before you go cobbling on your handgun, keep in mind that it was shooting fine, then SUDDENLY it wasn't. The firearm didn't wear out in the space of a week. The springs didn't weaken. The feed ramp didn't become rough or change angle. If it didn't need polishing two weeks ago, it doesn't need it now.

Are you using the same ammo that you used the first two range trips? Instead of trying every brand under the sun, find one that works and stick with it. I've had flawless performance using Hydroshocks and Remington basic JHPs in my 1911s. As long as I know that those will work for me, I have no reason to keep trying to shoot other brands. I also know that if a problem develops, its not related to the type of ammo. I do know that some JHP will consistently jam in one of my 1911s. Ammo selection to me boils down to: if it's range ammo, I use FMJ exclusively. If it's defensive ammo, then I'm using what I know works, and that means either Hydroshocks or Remington JHP. There's just no logic in using anything else.

Are you using the same hold you used previously? Eliminate all of the variables, and whatever is left is most likely the problem. Don't be so anxious to start hacking on a brand new firearm that was working perfectly. Find out what changed, and eliminate that change. Repeat as necessary.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Before you go cobbling on your handgun, keep in mind that it was shooting fine, then SUDDENLY it wasn't. The firearm didn't wear out in the space of a week. The springs didn't weaken. The feed ramp didn't become rough or change angle. If it didn't need polishing two weeks ago, it doesn't need it now.

Are you using the same ammo that you used the first two range trips? Instead of trying every brand under the sun, find one that works and stick with it. I've had flawless performance using Hydroshocks and Remington basic JHPs in my 1911s. As long as I know that those will work for me, I have no reason to keep trying to shoot other brands. I also know that if a problem develops, its not related to the type of ammo. I do know that some JHP will consistently jam in one of my 1911s. Ammo selection to me boils down to: if it's range ammo, I use FMJ exclusively. If it's defensive ammo, then I'm using what I know works, and that means either Hydroshocks or Remington JHP. There's just no logic in using anything else.

Are you using the same hold you used previously? Eliminate all of the variables, and whatever is left is most likely the problem. Don't be so anxious to start hacking on a brand new firearm that was working perfectly. Find out what changed, and eliminate that change. Repeat as necessary.

I should first state that I haven't actually gone back to the range, I have only been trying to chamber rounds through the mags by hand racking the slide. Also, the rounds I've been trying to chamber (the same ones that worked when shooting) were of a various pack that was given to me in a trade, hence all the variety.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Just wanted to add something else; my rounds will chamber when the slide is locked back and I drop the slide catch. But, despite how fast or hard I rack the slide by hand, none of the rounds in question will chamber out of any mag but the Mec Gar.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Just wanted to add something else; my rounds will chamber when the slide is locked back and I drop the slide catch. But, despite how fast or hard I rack the slide by hand, none of the rounds in question will chamber out of any mag but the Mec Gar.

Ah ha!! This has all been happening when you were releasing the slide by just letting go of it?? That makes sense then, especially since it works fine if you release the slide by means of the slide release!

I would say that the odds are good that if you take it to the range and actually shoot it, it will work just like it did before you cleaned it. Run through that mish-mash collection of oddball ammo, and go buy some range ammo. Use that to practice with your handgun. Then buy a box of JHP that tends to work well in 1911s, and run through that box. If it feeds flawlessly with that brand, buy a couple more boxes, and use exclusively that for defense usage.

Top Bottom