• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I've got one Metalform. Seems to work fine. Some others swear by Tripp Research. I have never had my 47Ds or Chip McCormicks let me down, so I stick with them, but I'll try something else, if it falls into my lap. Honestly, even the standard GI mags seem to work fine in my 1911s.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Thank you, is there any other brands that you would suggest?

Man, there are dozens of 1911 mag makers out there. Mecgar makes decent mags and are normally cheaper than others, Colt and Kimpro mags are good from my experiance, factory Springfield mags have never failed me.

The two biggest names and the ones that always come up in a conversation about 1911s is Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    Man, there are dozens of 1911 mag makers out there. Mecgar makes decent mags and are normally cheaper than others, Colt and Kimpro mags are good from my experiance, factory Springfield mags have never failed me.

The two biggest names and the ones that always come up in a conversation about 1911s is Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick.

Ok vunderbar! Ill keep all this in mind!

:ingo:

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    I have LOTS of 47D mags, but I beg to question, what is the difference between 47D magazines and the ETM magazined? They look pretty similar in the pics...

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have LOTS of 47D mags, but I beg to question, what is the difference between 47D magazines and the ETM magazined? They look pretty similar in the pics...

The 47D bumper pad and the ETM bumper pad are different. The 47D bumper pad is straight. The ETM bumper pad is larger and beveled on the sides to fit in a magwell nicely.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    i dont understand why some mags are 7 if there is room for 8, not trying to hyjack the thread, but since your talking about 7 and 8 round mags, why arnt they all 8 rounders,

The original design was for 7. Some folks think the original design is the most reliable. The first 8 round mags which essentially crammed 8 into the original 7 round mag by changing the spring may have contributed to this way of thinking.

Magazine designs for the 1911 have changed since then, and for me my 8 round Wilsons and Chip McCormicks have been 100% reliable, but so have the couple of 7 round GI mags I happen to have. I've never tried to change out the spring and cram the 8 rounds into the original 7 round tube though, so maybe someone else can give you a better answer.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    The original design was for 7. Some folks think the original design is the most reliable. The first 8 round mags which essentially crammed 8 into the original 7 round mag by changing the spring may have contributed to this way of thinking.

Magazine designs for the 1911 have changed since then, and for me my 8 round Wilsons and Chip McCormicks have been 100% reliable, but so have the couple of 7 round GI mags I happen to have. I've never tried to change out the spring and cram the 8 rounds into the original 7 round tube though, so maybe someone else can give you a better answer.

i figured it had something to do with better springs not taken up as much space. ive always bought 8 round mags,

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you like the Pad you can add them to your mags. They are avaliable everywhere.

This.

I have pads on all my magazines because with the mag funnel it makes them easier to seat.

I have factory Springfield mags, Wilson Combat, and Chip McCormick mags. All have 500-2500 rounds through them, and none have ever failed me or failed to feed.

These days I don't carry my 1911, but I did for many years and used the factory Springfields and Chip McCormicks for training and IDPA, the Wilson Combat for carry. Not out of any concern for reliability, but just to make it easier to keep a round count and to not have to swap out springs in my carry mags.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I've had good success with the Checkmate hybrid magazines. You get two sizes of bumper pads to install if you choose to do so.

checkmate.jpg

jtmason15

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    Grant County
    the flush mags just do not have the plastic bumber at the bottom. The smith and wesson comes stock with the bumper and what you bought are just regular mags. They come in 7 and 8 round. The flush fitting mags will work just the same as the ones that came stock with your gun.

asquinton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    The spacers are typically for guns that have mag wells installed. The spacer ensures the mag hangs down below the mag well to ensure the mag is seated in the gun.

Top Bottom