• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    I've got a Double Star 1911, Im wanting to put on a mag well... What brand would ya'll recommend? (I'm going to have a gunsmith fit the mag well). I've already ordered a set of VZ grips with screws.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Lots of options. Smith & Alexander is a tried and true version, Wilson has both a magwell and an integrated magwell with MSH. Brown makes one. Probably depends on what you want the gunsmith to do with it. The Wilson single piece magwell has a lot of meat on it, because when they fit it they carve away a great deal of it as they meld the frame and magwell together. The S&A is designed to fit up without much extra work required, but it can still be blended in if you want. Hard to go wrong with the choices out there. I like the machined ones, but the magwell isn't usually one of those parts where the cast vs machined debate is gonna wad up anyones panties.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I am actually taking a Smith & Alexander one off of my STI Spartan right now. I could sell it to you if you are interested PM me. Because the Spartan frame is a little short, the mainspring housing sticks out a bit, and therefor the magwell doesn't fit flush to the bottom of that model of 1911. I am not looking to make money off it, but I do want to replace it with another one that will hopefully fit better on the model I own. It is very lightly used... like I said, if you are interested pm me.

The S&A ones are nice, as they are checkered all the way down the back.
    The wilson ones look pretty nice too, but I have no experience with them at this time.

Edit, I do not have my old MSH at my apartment, so I can not sell the S&A one right now.

Last edited:

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I've seen quite a few brands of flat mainspring housing magwells. So far, Smith & Alexander is the only brand I've found that makes a magwell with an arched mainspring housing. Wilson makes an add on magwell without the mainspring housing that hooks over the lower grip screws.

Top Bottom