• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    I've got a Double Star 1911, Im wanting to put on a mag well... What brand would ya'll recommend? (I'm going to have a gunsmith fit the mag well). I've already ordered a set of VZ grips with screws.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Lots of options. Smith & Alexander is a tried and true version, Wilson has both a magwell and an integrated magwell with MSH. Brown makes one. Probably depends on what you want the gunsmith to do with it. The Wilson single piece magwell has a lot of meat on it, because when they fit it they carve away a great deal of it as they meld the frame and magwell together. The S&A is designed to fit up without much extra work required, but it can still be blended in if you want. Hard to go wrong with the choices out there. I like the machined ones, but the magwell isn't usually one of those parts where the cast vs machined debate is gonna wad up anyones panties.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I am actually taking a Smith & Alexander one off of my STI Spartan right now. I could sell it to you if you are interested PM me. Because the Spartan frame is a little short, the mainspring housing sticks out a bit, and therefor the magwell doesn't fit flush to the bottom of that model of 1911. I am not looking to make money off it, but I do want to replace it with another one that will hopefully fit better on the model I own. It is very lightly used... like I said, if you are interested pm me.

The S&A ones are nice, as they are checkered all the way down the back.
    The wilson ones look pretty nice too, but I have no experience with them at this time.

Edit, I do not have my old MSH at my apartment, so I can not sell the S&A one right now.

Last edited:

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I've seen quite a few brands of flat mainspring housing magwells. So far, Smith & Alexander is the only brand I've found that makes a magwell with an arched mainspring housing. Wilson makes an add on magwell without the mainspring housing that hooks over the lower grip screws.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom