1911 Mil Spec: how to shoot comfortably?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    As an NRA Instructor I would say the mark on the OP's web is the mark of a GI grip safety. Why his hand reacts the way it does is beyond me but that is definitely the outline of a GI grip safety. I've seen it happen to many new shooters. If the grip safety has sharp square corners it will eat your hand. The reason it has sharp corners is because the maker didn't want to spend time or money radiusing those corners. Colt especially LOVES sharp square corners. People have complained for decades but Colt doesn't listen to anyone. Grinding a small radius on those corners will help - it will still be painful but not as bad and it won't leave the mark. This is precisely the reason upswept beavertails were developed back in the day. With one you can shoot a 1911 all day in comfort. Try to shoot a 1911 with a beavertail and see. You can get a "drop in" that will stop the pain but will be kind of ugly - or you can shell out a couple hundred pesos and have a nice one fiitted to your frame.
    I think you're right in this case. It appears to be the outline of the GI grip safety and not a case of hammer bite. That second picture posted is more in line with hammer bite. I think it's due to a rough grip safety as well.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    It's the grip safety. I have seen and experienced hammer bite many times and it looks completely different than that photo. Knock those square edges down and it won't leave the mark (but it will still make your hand sore). Or use a heavy leather glove with the fingers cut off. Beavertail GSs were invented for a reason.

Top Bottom