• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajanes10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    So I am definately in the market for a .45 but the big thing is go with a Colt 1911 or a Ruger P345. I know the 1911 has a fantastic history behind it and I havent heard a bad thing about it but yet i've been hearing fantastic things about the P345. Also I like the fact that the Ruger is about half the cost. Any Help?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    My dad has a P345. Its a decent shooter and Ive never seen it jam. It goes through any type of ammo Ive ever fed it or seen him feed it. Including some old reloads from one his buddys. Id carry it.

If a good 1911 is out of you budget then by all means go for it I think youll be happy with it. Just has all the typical hallmarks of Ruger Autos, ie.. a bunch of useless and annoying safties.

ajanes10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    The safties are the only bad thing Ive heard about them. I would like it better if they werent there but I dont know a Colt is worth the price. I am looking at those two but if anyone has suggestions that may be better let me know.

anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    ruger

Rugers eat everything. 1911's can be finicky albeit mostly in the beginning. But a 1911 is like having a corvette and all others are like a volkswagon, Maybe more dependable but not as fun to carry and shoot.One of my first 45's was a p90 and it never had a hiccup over a couple thousand rounds and it was shot alot before I got my hands on it. I think rugers are all steel frames too?.....Just like a 1911.You would have to get a hold of a 1911 and shoot it to compare if you really want to know what fits you better.

ajanes10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Well the Ruger P345 is a poly frame so its more carry friendly. I just need something super reliable and accurate. If that cost 500 or 1000 so be it.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The safties really arent a huge deal. The thumb safty is also a decocker so you can just decock it and carry it hammer down DA first shot and forget about the safety. The internal lock can be defeated by unlocking it and throwing away the keys. That just leaves the loaded chamber indicator. If it were mine it would be fixed with a snap cap and a dremel tool.

ajanes10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Ok. I just find it hard to spend a grand on something when I believe I can get something just as good for less. I mean I have spent my fair share on guns but I don't know if its worth the extra money on this one.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I am a huge Ruger fan. Ive owned 1911s before and I currently own a Kimber 1911 imho it was worth the money. But if a 1911 is not in your budget and the Ruger is then like I said I would feel very comfortable carring the one my dad has. I would just ignore the safties. They are there if they make you feel good or if you have small kids running around then they are a good thing. But in general I think the best safety is not pulling the trigger.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    The safties are the only bad thing Ive heard about them. I would like it better if they werent there but I dont know a Colt is worth the price. I am looking at those two but if anyone has suggestions that may be better let me know.

Take a look at Glocks and see if they fit you. They can be had relatively cheap if you shop around. :twocents:

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Had my 345 for about 8 years now. Carry it every day (including to church on Sunday) in a Texas Heritage by Tucker Gunleather. Mine has somewhere over 5,000 rounds through it, including several thousand of my own hand loads with no failures of any kind. Great gun along with being reasonably priced.

I also have a 1911, but my 345 is my prefered edc

Top Bottom