• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Had a few and never really got into them. I trained with tupperware guns and I guess they just fit/feel better in the hand. Don't have anything against 1911's, just not my style. Not to mention .45 ammo costs for most 1911 frames compared to some smaller calibers.

You just havent found the right one yet. There are all sorts of barrel, grip, and frame combinations and modifications. The 1911 is like the old GI joe doll for grown up men. If the 45 ACP is a turn off, you can always look for the neutered version in 9mm, or step it up and go for a 45 super or 460 rowland.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    I love 'em, always have. I like my Glock and others but my 1911's feel like an extension of my hand. And .45 isn't that much more than .40, shoot one and you will be hooked I am afraid. :D

Probably the best description: it's love. No more, no less, than love. Out of all the manufacturers, most have put out their own take on the 1911. Out of all the makes, models, action and calibers that get the job done, the 1911 STILL holds its place.

A properly built 1911 is like marrying the General Lee's power to a Lexus ride: damn close to ecstacy.

dr632

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Brown County
    Welcome to the pistol Holy Wars my friend.

1911's will lead you to "the custom path", which will put a BIG dent in your wallet.

I love the triggers on my 1911s. I like the thumb safety and grip safety features (although these features can be found on the other pistol architectures).

There's a 100+ years of experience, design improvements, and modern manufacturing techniques behind the 1911 and I'd love to hear a master gunsmith's answer to your question.

As mentioned in one of the posts, find someone that will let you run a few practice strings with their custom 1911 and enjoy the trigger.

Back to the religious reference ... I've owned grocks, etc. for 2+ decades and was introduced to the 1911 about 2 years ago. I submit for your consideration that personal preferences are heavily influenced by the person or persons that invest time and effort to show you how to run a pistol. I was/am very fortunate to have a few very experienced individuals take me under their wing and they run with the 1911. I've grown quite fond of my 1911's as the muscle memory has developed nicely over this time period. The basics, presentation, proper grip, trigger manipulation, various reload techniques, clearing malfunctions, flashlight techniques, and back to the holster.

On occasion, I think about pulling the G17 out of the safe and see if I can make it run as efficiently as the CQB. But it doesn't last long as I have much work left to do with the 1911.

Bottomline, at least where I'm at in this journey:

#1 - shoot and carry equipment that you have validated and know will run on demand,
    #2 - shoot and carry equipment that you can control and get the hits.

There's many experts out there that have shown the job can get done with either pistol architecture.

Good luck!

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    100 years of history.

It is the firearm that fits the hand, fires the projectile and stops the threat. Thousands of dead Germans and Japanese can't be wrong.

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    For me, it's one of the more popular guns that can be customized to fit the owners personality, unlike many of the guns made today. If a Glock 19 goes up for sale on INGO, it really doesn't require a picture, because everyone knows what it looks like and it will sell. If you have a 1911 for sale, odds are it will not move or garner any interest without a photograph, because people want to see if it fits them. The 1911 has personality.

Seriously makes me want to trade my Glock 19 for a 1911.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I don't know what it is about the 1911 but I have about 50 of them (lost count, could be more) of them in my safes, house, cars, belt holsters . . .

Or at least I did up until that tragic boating accident shortly after Obama got elected and all my guns ended up on the bottom of Lake Michigan.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    . The only handgun that I have been able to group as close is my 6" S&W .357. Great question by the way, I love seeing the responses.

You too huh? shot my dad's 6" S&W .357 then my Uncle's Colt 1911 and except for size of the holes, almost identical groups.

After I get my AR15 then its on to saving my pennies, nickles, and dimes for a 1911!!!!

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    IMAG0063-1.jpg

Get a 1911, you will love it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    A 1911 is kinda like your favorite jeans or boots. They fit and they're comfortable.
    You can bet your life on 'em.
    I've been carrying one for over 40 years and it's one of those special guns I can grab in a dead sleep and it's just a familiar part of me.
    From the first time I held a 1911 nothing else has fit like it.
    I prefer it in .45acp. I don't have to worry about a lot of ammo choices as I'm comfortable in knowing it'll do the job the first time.
    There's other guns I like. The Sig and HK are good shooters but the old reliable 1911 single action is for me.

dondavis3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    DFW area
    1911's are just cool. :popcorn:

Pretty IMHO

ColtMKIVOfficersmodel.jpg

Accurate as hell.

KimberPolymerGoldMatch452.jpg

SAO (which has now changed - you can get a few DA/SA 1911)

Everyone needs to own one at least.

As said above .. go spend some time shooting a 1911.

Then you'll understand :D

:cool:

Last edited:

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    The weight and steel construction of a 1911 frame pistol are what I consider worthy to be called a weapon. I have shot single action 1911s since I was a boy with my grandfather and his govt issue Colt. I remember 15 years ago when my cousin brought his new Glock to my house to shoot and show. I remember how when I held it I was thinking " WOW, WHAT A CHINCY P.O S.", I understand now that Glocks are good guns, but that doesnt take away that to me they feel like toys instead of weapons. I prefer 1911s because they feel sturdy, strong, and if all else fails you can club the hell out of someone with it. If I clubbed you with a Glock it would merely **** you off! Lol

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    1911s are great guns. Once firing one, most people will like them. I did. And I love my Glocks.

With all that said, I still don't want to be clubbed in the head with a polymer pistol. The slide is still metal and the plastic is strong. Yeah, it's gonna hurt. I'd be more worried about it breaking and gouging me like a dull knife. My assessment..I'll keep both.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom