• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    well I have a new smith and Wesson 1911 Product: Model SW1911<br>E-Series?, .45 ACP

I took it to the range today to fire it for the second time. the first time was less than 20 rounds. I put almost 100 rounds through it but with every single mag I put through it I had failures to feed. ( when racking the slide it would not pick up the round). and maybe half way through a mag I would get a failure to go into battery. ( it would not go in the last maybe 1/4 inch)

i was using federal balk pack and a few Winchester white box. same result with either ammo. this is my first 1911 so i have no clue what is going on. not sure if its the mags or if its something with the gun. any help would be great.

edit: when putting the mag in i would give it a good slap every time to rule out not getting it seated.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I will ask because others will: did you lube /clean it before shooting? Did you release the slide from slide lock or "sling shot" it?
    Also possible "limp wrist"? Have someone else try it with the same mags/ammo and see. Good luck . Let us know what you find out.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    yes sir. cleaned and lubed. and same results when my buddy I was with tried shooting it. i tried to just release the slide from the lock as well as release it with my hand and let it slam home. either way same problem.

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    You shouldnt have to clean a gun after firing two mags through it. I have two colt 1911's. I got one of them slightly used. not fired much. had a colt mag with it and bought a new colt factory mag at a gun show. took it out and had problems with it holding back the slide on the last round. bought a couple chip power mags and it shoots great now. no problems at all. get some good mags and see what happens. at least so you can rule that out.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    just the two that came with it. by every mag I meant refilled mag.

a friend of mine has a Remington so im going to swap mags with him and see what happens. I was hoping its a mag problem but since I know nothing about these at the present time I thought I would ask.
    not sure why but I just woke up one day and had to spend money on a 1911.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My S&W 1911PD would not run reliably with the factory mags. Just would not. Tried them in a Springer, same thing.
    As S Peracord said, put some "Good" mags in it and have some fun.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    So this makes me wonder what mags S&W shipped with OkieGirl's Performance Center 1911? I can't say we've run 500 rounds through it yet but it has had no problems with WWB, Remington, or my Berry's fmj rn handloads. Not a single failure.

:dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So this makes me wonder what mags S&W shipped with OkieGirl's Performance Center 1911? I can't say we've run 500 rounds through it yet but it has had no problems with WWB, Remington, or my Berry's fmj rn handloads. Not a single failure.

:dunno:

You may be OK with yours. Or maybe the got this issue straightened out. If it runs OK then run and enjoy it.
    I usually leave tghe factory mags in the box and run Wilson or Chips offerings.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My performance center gun runs factory ammo fine with the provided mags. My reloaded wadcutters require the use of Wilson mags. I also found out that cartridges loaded a bit longer will hang up in the Smith but feed fine in other 1911s.

I would try switching the mags first.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Chips and Wilson are great mags, but Mec-Gar are very good also and a little cheaper.

For CZs, I run Mec Gar all day long and trust them fully. For 1911s, I stick with Wilson Combat or factory mags with Wilson Combat rebuilt kits inside. A WC rebuild kit ($14 IIRC) is a great way to turn a decent quality mag into a very good one. I don't do that with junk mags, but with either Sig or Kimber factory mags, it works very well.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    A friend had a 1911 that kept failing to go into battery and I noticed brass shavings in the gun. Upon inspection the underside of the extractor had sharp edges everywhere. (groove and all points of the hook) I lightly broke all the corners so the cases would smoothly ride up and that took care of his problem.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Wilson mags and polish the feed ramp would the direction I would go. I'm sure it's something simple.

[FONT=&quot] NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

JeffreyJames

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    You shouldnt have to clean a gun after firing two mags through it. I have two colt 1911's. I got one of them slightly used. not fired much. had a colt mag with it and bought a new colt factory mag at a gun show. took it out and had problems with it holding back the slide on the last round. bought a couple chip power mags and it shoots great now. no problems at all. get some good mags and see what happens. at least so you can rule that out.

My Colt mags did the same thing. No issues from the Wilson Combat that replaced them.

Top Bottom