• ...and so much more!
  • Kbouma

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Howe, IN
    Hey guys

I am looking to purchase a new 1911 (has always been one of the top three guns I have wanted to own) in the next few weeks. My problem is that I only have about $600 to spend. I have been looking at the SA Mil Spec or GI. :patriot:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm not sure what the Springfield's go for...but your $600 budget can get you a lot of 1911. Especially if you don't mind a used piece. Many of us have RIA 1911s and if you go that route you can also get yourself a nice little pile of .45ACP ammo to go with it. Then there's the Para GI Expert and for a few dollars more you might be able to find a Remington R1.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Hey guys

I am looking to purchase a new 1911 (has always been one of the top three guns I have wanted to own) in the next few weeks. My problem is that I only have about $600 to spend. I have been looking at the SA Mil Spec or GI. :patriot:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I bought a used COLT GOLDCUP NATIONAL MATCH 45 ACP, in about 95% for $610:rockwoot: It shoots great:yesway: Look around there are alot of good deals out there:yesway:

dfcrane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Feb 25, 2011
    South West Indiana
    The Rock Island Arsenal 45's are a great gun that you can pick up usually for around $400. That leaves quite a bit of money left over for a holster and some ammo. I prefer the compact model if you plan on carrying it much.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Heres the Springfield I got a couple months back. I got it for $829 out the door.

1911.jpg

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    There are a few springfields out there that you can snag new for that price. I purchased one and polished all of the internals and it works great.

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    I might add it was a little rough from the get go and took a little time and some elbow grease, but there are limitless acessories out there for fairly decent prices if your into customizing a basic bone stock 1911

Last edited:

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    There is an article on budget 1911s in the May Shooting Illustrated. They seemed to be most impressed with the Taurus PT1911, as compare to SA GI, Para GI Expert, Magnum Research, and Citadel.

If it was me, I would look for a used Kimber Custom.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    All of these, with the exception of the stainless Kimber (top right) were under your budget amount even after tax and extra mags...
    The top left one is a .22 (but still incredibly fun!! :D) The bottom left is a Rock Island Armory, and the bottom right is an ATI FX45 GI model.
    IMG_1443.jpg

farva118

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Look into the STI Spartan. It's an armscor frame and slide with STI internals. The fit and finish on mine and the accuracy is second to none. Blows away the SA Loaded Champion I had.

I got mine used for a little over $550 otd.

stacks067

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    New Haven
    I don't own one personally, but I have read nothing but good things about Rock Island Armory 1911's. Maybe look into those. Good luck, and happy shopping.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have to jump on the Rock Island bandwagon. I have a couple of Kimbers, a Springfield and a Rock Island Compact and could not be happier with the Rock. The Kimbers shoot very well, but for the money, they darn'ed well better. The Springfield is nice, but really nothing to write home about, but I do like it. The Rock is every bit as accurate and reliable as any of the others. I'm amazed how accurate it is compared to the others, especially given the short barrel. It also came nicely fitted out with an extended beavertail grip safety, full length guide rod, target crown and bull barrel for the tidy sum of $479 brand new. Since I bought it, I've added an extended safety and have run about 6 different sets of grips on it. My favorite (this week) are the Hogue grips with finger grooves. I've had mine about 18 months now and like it more and more each time I shoot it. I'll probably add a trigger with adjustable over-travel, then will just enjoy it. It's one gun I'd take anywhere and that I think will survive anything.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    +1 to Rock Island 1911's! My brother has one and it shoots very nice, and they're fairly cheap! The finish is even good, I might pick one up for myself and save some money when I have the option again!!

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    you cant go wrong with a RIA I have a citadel thats got all the goodies and Ive had a RIA government style you can find them for 400 to 500 pick your flavor cause they make a full line and you can still afford a small pile of ammo afterward they also come with 2 really good mags

Top Bottom