• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Question....why would you drop a round in the chamber and then drop the slide on it. Most every gun I have messed with is not designed for that.
    The extractor is not intended to be pushed over the lip of the round. This damages it.

My understanding is that this is true not just for 1911s, but for extractors in general. I try to apply the same practice to my rifles.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Guns with bending extractors it's an absolute no-no because you have to bend the part to do it. guns with articulating (hinged, pivoting) extractors it's a no-no but not as bad. As you've seen it can be done, maybe even many times, but there are a lot of things that will tolerate abuse for a period before breaking.

If you look at the breech-face of a gun you can see whether it can be closed on a chambered round. If there is a raised surface all around the rim (preventing the round from sliding), it's OK. If there's a groove along the path of movement of a round, it's meant to slide up under the extractor, not for the extractor to snap over it.

A couple examples I have from the last time this came up: https://imgur.com/a/jPiXl

Thanks for this -- I just looked at all of my handguns and used your link to compare; turns out, I've definitely been hurting some of my guns, and I would have undoubtedly continued if not for this thread and the answers.

On a related note, I learn something incredibly valuable every week since I've joined this forum. Seriously, it is astonishing to me how many "little things" like this whole extractor thing isn't little at all, but is actually potentially crucial knowledge for gun owners... how messed up would it be if me or some other rookie has to actually use their gun in a defensive situation, and the damn extractor breaks because of my own negligent gun handling. Kind of kicking myself for not knowing this before but man am I grateful for your guys' help!

Top Bottom