• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Deepest, darkest, Indiana
    It sounds as if someone tried to do a kitchen table trigger job on your gun. The sear spring on a 1911 has 3 basic functions represented by the 3 individual leaf sections on that spring. Each leaf can be adjusted (bent) to manage tension on the sear, disconnector/trigger, and grip safety.

Not to insult you, but you appear to be a novice at this. The 1911 is a wonder of simplicity of design and inherent reliability. But if you don't understand fully the interaction of the internals you could get hurt making adjustments.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cby1R2LnaxA[/ame]

Last edited:

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I have a new question....will anyone be at the show at greenfield next saturday? I have yet to fire this gun, the more I handle it and compare it to others the more I become skeptical, it feels like the grip safety has no "spring" to it, takes hardly any pressure to release the hammer. Also it seems like there is a "half cock" position to the hammer. Does this seem normal? I'm concerned that maybe someone has tinkered a little beyond their ability with this gun. If so I will fix it, or pay a smith to make it right, and upgrade it. Thoughts?

1911 hammers do have a half cock position this is normal.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I have tinkered with rifles before but this is the first 1911 I have owned that needed "attention" it sounds like I better get a book....some parts....and a hammer:D

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have tinkered with rifles before but this is the first 1911 I have owned that needed "attention" it sounds like I better get a book....some parts....and a hammer:D

If you lived near I would be glad to give you some tinkering basics :)

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    It sounds as if someone tried to do a kitchen table trigger job on your gun. The sear spring on a 1911 has 3 basic functions represented by the 3 individual leaf sections on that spring. Each leaf can be adjusted (bent) to manage tension on the sear, disconnector/trigger, and grip safety.

Not to insult you, but you appear to be a novice at this. The 1911 is a wonder of simplicity of design and inherent reliability. But if you don't understand fully the interaction of the internals you could get hurt making adjustments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cby1R2LnaxA
    If the guy in the video would remove the slide and lower the hammer, taking most all of the tension off the mainspring, it wouldn't take "three hands" to replace the mainspring housing. ;)

Last edited:

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Also it seems like there is a "half cock" position to the hammer. Does this seem normal?
    It's normal on 1911s if their hammers have a half cock position, not all 1911s have half-cock today, many pistols, like Colt's Series 80s, the newer Springfield's, Taurus do not have a "true" half-cock position. If you are familiar with those models, it would not feel normal to you, but your RIA should have the half-cock position.

Last edited:

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    It's normal on 1911s if their hammers have a half cock position, not all 1911s have half-cock today, many pistols, like Colt's Series 80s, the newer Springfield's, Taurus do not have a half-cock position. If you are familiar with those models, it would not feel normal to you, but your RIA should have the half-cock position.

I bought a new Springfield basic full size model a couple months ago. It has both the series70/commercial cut on the hammer but also the Colt series 80 "shelf cut". All this stuff is going "one size fits all" generic.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    I bought a new Springfield basic full size model a couple months ago. It has both the series70/commercial cut on the hammer but also the Colt series 80 "shelf cut". All this stuff is going "one size fits all" generic.
    Interesting, your hammer has three notches, full-cock, half-cock and the shelf? My Springers only had the two, full and the shelf (except my Professional). I can understand them using the shelf hammers on the Taurus, Auto-Ordnance, Sig etc., any of them that are using the Colt patent "Series 80" fining pin block safety, I don't understand why Springfield uses it on some of their models.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    How strange? Wouldn't happen to have, or know where to find a picture of the new hammers, would you?

Thanks for the reply, sir.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    That would be great, thanks.

Just a picture of the Springer hammer would be good, I have a number of the others.
    (But maybe others don't know the differences, so, it would indeed be good to have)

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    1911 hammer pics

Left to Right

EMC
    Norinco
    Springfield with shelf

399113232.jpg

399113230.jpg

The half cock hammer position comes in really handy if you ever have a 1911 suffering from "hammer follow"

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    When swapping ANY fire control parts in a 1911 you MUST perform safety checks on the gun. It might drop in and work (although the trigger pull weight may change for better or worse) but if the new hammer changes the position of the sear when at full cock (even a tiny bit) your thumb safety may not hold the sear in place. Be very careful when swapping parts in any gun. Very few actually "drop in" with no fitting.

You'll have to fit the trigger. That will negate any possibility of returning it. Replacing all those parts you're entering into the danger zone.

Top Bottom