1911 Recoil Spring Buffer? Anyone use one of these?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    Idk about that plastic piece but a friend of mine has a hydraulic guide rod in his gold cup shooting semi wadcutters feels like a 32 you can dump the mags

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Both of my Wilson Combat 1911's came with them; they don't cost much to replace them every few thousand rounds, and I haven't seen the catastrophic degradation some have attributed to them; mine have worn pretty predictably...so I've kept using them. The ones I use come 6 or 8 to a sprue, and cost maybe $4.00 a pack?

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I like them. As with many polymers, oil makes them expand and deteriorate. Keep them dry and they work for many rounds. When they go bad they can jam the recoil spring causing FTE and FTF problems. Many people who don't like them have had this happen to them. I like them because I think they dampen the abuse on the dust cover contact area.

To each their own.

CB45

SolidSnake99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Lowell, IN
    so might be something I should get then huh? Take a little bit of recoil out of the shot and protect the internals from a little bit of wear at the same time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have heard yay and nay from folks who know about such things. I have them in my Colts but not the other 1911's
    They will reduce the wear on the recoil pad area. They also shorten the distance the slide travels. Not by much but if they unravel and fail they reduce that distance enough to cause
    FTE issues. I have had this happen with the Colts. If you use them change them out at the first sign they are wearing and you should be OK.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    They used to be ubiquitous in 1911s 15 years ago. Since then, I don't think anyone has demonstrated that they serve any useful purpose and I've experienced malfunctions and jams because of them (years ago) and seen quite a few others along the way in other people's guns.

So ... since they help nothing and might cause problems, I don't see any point in it.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Use proper recoil springs and they aren't needed. They can also create last round lockback issues on non-government barrels.

If I were to use them, it would not be on a carry piece.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Bah. I've only read negative things about them and when I bought grips and mags one time, the seller tossed in a BUNCH of them. I stuck them somewhere in my box o' junk. If I find them, you're welcome to them.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    If I had a really expensive custom gun and shot it a LOT, I might consider it, otherwise, no.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    John Browning didn't put them in there.....you'll wish you hadn't when you have to beat the slide off with a rubber mallet...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom