• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • headleyj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ok so i understand how it fits in your hand, how it shoots, etc are important, but i dont have alot of opportunity to shoot all the different kinds of 1911's. Only one ive ever shot was a taurus and it was good, accurate and fit hand ok. I can go to shops and hold them all day long. Im not planning on carrying it, just enjoying it. So, with all that said heres some background/ limits
    1. I grew up around firearms, shotguns and rifles though, no handguns. Id call myself a novice wrt handguns, but average on long guns. Put it this way, ive never disassembled a glock, but have fully done so on 2 or 3 long guns...yes they worked fine after i reassembled :)
    2. This will be my first 1911
    3. Id like to stay under or at 900
    4. I will use this and shoot it so even though a colt royal stainless gold cup makes me drool like a 2 month old, its too $$$ and id be afraid to actually use it.
    5. I want a 5", just think it looms better proportionally.
    6. Brands ive narrowed it down to are ruger, s&w e series, colt, sig, para ordinance, springfield and maybe remington...maybe.
    7. I want it to hold its value well so maybe thats why i find myself looking at the colts more.
    8. I would prefer to buy new or extremely close to it

I lime the colts, but theyre expensive...notice kimber isnt on the list, mainly.b/c of cost. The rugers are kinda hard to find locally where i could put my hands on one but im headin to bradis next week so mayne theyll have one. I like the s&w, but it doesnt get my blood flowing for some reason, idk why.

Rail??? Well i dont plan on putting a light and or laser on it but a. I think it makes them loom tougher and b. If i ever wanted to id have that capability so....id tend to lean towards one with a rail if i had 2 identical ones sitting in front of me.

Kinda. Nervous about the sig, im sure they have the issues with the earlier ones resolved but still a touch shy b/c of that.

Para - intrigues me but concerned with staying power/ value over time

So those are my thoughts, where im at right now,what ill use it for and budget.

Any advice would be appreciated guys and gals.
    thank you!!

Ps - i apologize for any typis, dang phones and fat thumbs dont mix

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    For a just a little more, around a 1000, you can get a Kimber TLE. That would have been my second choice behind my Springfield.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Pick up a Used colt. They come up on here from time to time at great prices.

I would also consider a GI style, if it's for nostalgia.

swamptick

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Rochester
    I purchased the Remington R1 two weeks ago for $659 and have been shooting it everyday with various ammo with excellent results. Very accurate and no ftf or fte. I must say also that I am not brand loyal as I also own a Colt 1911, also an excellent choice.

headleyj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Bloomington
    I purchased the Remington R1 two weeks ago for $659 and have been shooting it everyday with various ammo with excellent results. Very accurate and no ftf or fte. I must say also that I am not brand loyal as I also own a Colt 1911, also an excellent choice.

Ive actually heard good things about the remmy 1911 so thats good to hear. Anyone know about the amount of mim in them? I can get a good deal on a new r1 stainless. I like the fact it comes with 2 different mags, one with the bumpout (whatever thats called) and one that sits flush at bottom of grip like most of the colts ive seen do.

Hows fit/ finish on ur remmy?

Had a pretty bad experience with a sa remmy rifle last year. They eventually made it right (6 mos later) but still left a bad taste in my mouth.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    Don't know if you saw it but there's a S&W E Series in the classifieds in your price range.

No affiliation other than owning the TA version of the same gun.

headleyj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Bloomington
    Don't know if you saw it but there's a S&W E Series in the classifieds in your price range.

No affiliation other than owning the TA version of the same gun.

I did see that one actually. My only reservation is that i really want to see and hold as many different makes as i can so i can make the best informed decision possible. I dont wanna research and read for years, bc you could, but i do tend to :horse:

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    I did see that one actually. My only reservation is that i really want to see and hold as many different makes as i can so i can make the best informed decision possible. I dont wanna research and read for years, bc you could, but i do tend to :horse:
    I know what you mean. I did the same research and went to several of the LGS around town as well as a gun show in order to get the feel for what I had interest in. Once I ruled out some of the contenders I found what I was looking for on gunbroker as none of the local shops had them in stock or incoming. I couldn't really make up my mind so I wound up with 2. :D

headleyj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Bloomington
    I know what you mean. I did the same research and went to several of the LGS around town as well as a gun show in order to get the feel for what I had interest in. Once I ruled out some of the contenders I found what I was looking for on gunbroker as none of the local shops had them in stock or incoming. I couldn't really make up my mind so I wound up with 2. :D

I can see that happening with me too. :) two of them that is

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I just got a SA Champion "Loaded" for $850. I think it's a good gun out of the box and still leaves something for a new owner to customize to his/her liking.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    You really can't go wrong these days. Colt, Kimber, Springfield Armory, and others all have their fanboys. I like Springfield because it has no firing pin safety IMO it's just a part that there is no need for. New Colts and Kimbers do. Rock Islands don't.

Then there are the people that like S&W or Sig. I don't like either of those because of the extractor. I think the standard 1911 extractor that John Browning designed works just fine. No reason to change it.

Basically what I'm saying is find something YOU like and buy it. The design has been around forever. To some degree you get what you pay for. But, in the price range you are looking, whatever you buy will be fine.

headleyj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Bloomington
    I just got a SA Champion "Loaded" for $850. I think it's a good gun out of the box and still leaves something for a new owner to customize to his/her liking.

Ive been on their website quite a bit ....and sig...and colt... :) My phone and their site dont lime each other but ive managed to see that exact one...i think...im not a fan of the heavy serrations on the front of the slide for some reason and SA likes to put them on alot of their models, but they have some without i saw too.

I like the idea of a blankish slate to work with

headleyj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Bloomington
    You really can't go wrong these days. Colt, Kimber, Springfield Armory, and others all have their fanboys. I like Springfield because it has no firing pin safety IMO it's just a part that there is no need for. New Colts and Kimbers do. Rock Islands don't.

Then there are the people that like S&W or Sig. I don't like either of those because of the extractor. I think the standard 1911 extractor that John Browning designed works just fine. No reason to change it.

Basically what I'm saying is find something YOU like and buy it. The design has been around forever. To some degree you get what you pay for. But, in the price range you are looking, whatever you buy will be fine.

Great info thank you!

Top Bottom