Mar 28, 2011
    2014MemorialDayShoot_20.jpg

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    That is sharp. What kind of finish does the slide have? Looks case hardened almost. What all can you tell us about it?

It's just honest wear, as VERT said. I can't even claim it, although I'll be adding my own. I've been researching and soliciting opinions from various forums, but this is all I know. It started as a 1951 Commander, which is an aluminum framed Commander with a factory lightened slide. The pistol is astonishingly light. There are no maker's marks I can discern, but from a slip of paper that was included in the purchase and from the specific components used, it appears the pistol was modified sometime in the early '90s with the Bar-Dot Novak night sights, a Bar-Sto barrel and fit bushing, what appears to be an STI hammer and beaver tail, an Ed Brown thumb safety, the Ed Brown bobtail, some custom pocketing of the front strap and mainspring housing and hard chroming of the frame. The grips I haven't identified, but I'm thinking they're from Craig Spegel (they are absolutely gorgeous in person). Shots great, nice tight groups. It does have an issue I need to resolve though, twice in the 250 rounds I first put through it to see how it performed it chucked the last round of the magazine, unfired, right out the ejection port instead of clambering it. Can't say as I've ever seen that before. It happened once toward the beginning if the session and then again in the last magazine if the session so I didn't get to swap magazines and see if I could get it to happen a third time in a different mag, but I suspect it is either mag spring or mag lip related. I'm quite pleased with it so far.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Sounds like a mag issue. Since the gun is in such poor repair and the finish is worn it is obviously not safe. You therefore must consider my taking it off your hands for you.

ZgGlock88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Indyish
    My favorite build. Took about 9 months to complete but was well worth the wait! Shoots like a dream. The frame is STI, the slide is Caspian, the hybrid barrel is from Schuemann, mag well, Hogue grips, and slim-line controls (no ambi-safety). It was my take on a cross between tactical and competition. Chambered in 40 S&W will be doing a 9mm conversion for it in the future.

20130726_175416_RichtoneHDR.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    With the light on the rail.

20130728_195005_RichtoneHDR.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    Without the light on the rail.

20130726_175448.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    View of the hybrid barrel and two-tone cerakote on the hammer.
    20130721_105148_RichtoneHDR-1.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    Top view of the hybrid barrel while we were testing the function and fit before the gun was finished.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Updated pic of my Oldham/Vickers. Only seven yards offhand for that group, but .72 center to center on the widest shots so for my old eys I'll take it! Sure the gun can do even better than that.

attachment.php

Top Bottom