• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    Just purchased a Springfield Armory TRP and educated myself on full length versus traditional guide rod configurations and also options for replacing the full length guide rod.

What is the best traditional guide rod replacement option? One youtuber liked the beauty of the 10-8 recoil spring plug.

Is one-handed charging impossible or just more? extremely? difficult?

How many have taken advantage of the ease of changing the complete upper that a full length guide rod provides is that really a thing?

Purchased a complete separate upper in a different caliber? Experience going from 45 acp to 22lr, 9mm, 357, or 40? Do you have to purchase a 10mm gun and exchange to less powerful calibers if you want 10mm option?

Calculating the cost effectiveness of a 9mm or 22lr rifle option would be simple enough based upon training volume. Does training with the less powerful calibers carry over 100% to more powerful rounds? Experience there?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Just purchased a Springfield Armory TRP and educated myself on full length versus traditional guide rod configurations and also options for replacing the full length guide rod.

What is the best traditional guide rod replacement option? One youtuber liked the beauty of the 10-8 recoil spring plug.

Is one-handed charging impossible or just more? extremely? difficult?

How many have taken advantage of the ease of changing the complete upper that a full length guide rod provides is that really a thing?

Purchased a complete separate upper in a different caliber? Experience going from 45 acp to 22lr, 9mm, 357, or 40? Do you have to purchase a 10mm gun and exchange to less powerful calibers if you want 10mm option?

Calculating the cost effectiveness of a 9mm or 22lr rifle option would be simple enough based upon training volume. Does training with the less powerful calibers carry over 100% to more powerful rounds? Experience there?
    The 9mm 1911 takes a different ejector than a .45 ACP. I would think that other things might make it more difficult, like feed ramp and magazine fitting. The conversions for .22 LR, like the Marvel, work well and are very accurate. I have one. I don't care for full length guide rods. I think that they are the answer to a problem that doesn't exist. They sure as heck don't increase accuracy. In a pinch, a .45 ACP empty casing can be used as a recoil spring plug in a 1911 equipped with a traditional barrel bushing. I can't comment on caliber conversions for the 10mm. All in all, except for good .22 conversions, I tend to be on the side of one frame, one caliber for 1911's.

Egldriver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I have a Kimber conversion that works well as long as I am running cci mini mags. I have one gold cup with a flgr and it is a pain for no added benefit imho.

Top Bottom