• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Kramer
    I have a itch for a 1911. I am looking at the Remington R1 enhanced and the Springfield RO. Any suggestions ? There is a RO on the classified forum but I am new here and can't contact the seller. So... any suggestions ?

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    You should be able to find a new Range Officer for around $750-$800. They are extremely accurate. INGO member churchmouse swears by the Range Officer. I'm sure he will chime in on this post and tell you why to choose a Range Officer.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a itch for a 1911. I am looking at the Remington R1 enhanced and the Springfield RO. Any suggestions ? There is a RO on the classified forum but I am new here and can't contact the seller. So... any suggestions ?

You can get a new RO for just a few more dollars than the one posted in the Classifieds. I bought my last one (December 13) for $760 out the door. Look around a bit and get a new one.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YUP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Really though...personally I would like to have both of them just cuz...but whatever churchmouse says is pretty much solid advice.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I just got the Range Officer myself and being an old 1911 guy I'll have to give it a big thumbs up. It's going to be hard to beat Springfields service as well if you ever need it. It's a mighty fine pistol for the buck.
    And I got it 'cause Churchmouse yakked 'em up pretty good. Darn, he was finally right about something.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Kramer
    Can you suggest a place to pick one up for that price ? I will drive to Indy. So far around this area $835 has been the best I have found. Asked them if the could work with me and I was told that the price was 10% over and they couldn't do any better. Kind of ignored me after... I've got a itch and I intend to scratch it !!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Either should be a good one. I don't have experience with the RO, but do own an R1S. It's become my favorite 1911 to shoot of them all. I imagine an R1 Enhanced would be that much better, but since mine is a lowly R1S, that's just a guess on my part. I did get a chance to handle a R1 Carry Compact this weekend and liked it a whole lot. With all of the RO love being spread around, I should check one out myself one of these days.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    You can get a new RO for just a few more dollars than the one posted in the Classifieds. I bought my last one (December 13) for $760 out the door. Look around a bit and get a new one.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YUP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Churchmouse,
    Any experience with the Remington R1 Enhanced? I am kind of in the same boat with the OP right now. In your opinion, what is better about the RO vs. the R1? They are similar in price normally, except for Remington's current promotion of $75 cash back or free Storm Lake barrel.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Follow up to my previous post. I have shot the standard Remington R1 Stainless and really liked it, but have never shot a Springfield 1911.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Churchmouse,
    Any experience with the Remington R1 Enhanced? I am kind of in the same boat with the OP right now. In your opinion, what is better about the RO vs. the R1? They are similar in price normally, except for Remington's current promotion of $75 cash back or free Storm Lake barrel.

No knock on the enhanced but I and many others find the RO one of the best out of the box shooters in that price range. They are an entry level comp. pistol and you will not be disappointed if you buy one.

The R1's I shot did everything they weee supposed to reliably but the RO was is the better shooter and fit/finish is better. The target sights may bother some folks for EDC.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Can you suggest a place to pick one up for that price ? I will drive to Indy. So far around this area $835 has been the best I have found. Asked them if the could work with me and I was told that the price was 10% over and they couldn't do any better. Kind of ignored me after... I've got a itch and I intend to scratch it !!

Thats crap. These guns are not that spendy to retailers. I have seen invoicing on them. Make a fair profit and I am OK with that. Tell me 10% over at that money and my response is......:rofl:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Springfield RO or the Ruger SR1911 would be my choices. I got to play with a Springfield loaded this weekend and liked it a lot. I say go with the RO.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    You would be well served by either from what I have seen. The only thing I am not 100% sold on with the new Remington and Ruger 1911s is ,from what I have heard, they are cast frame guns. The Springfield guns are forged frames. Realistically, I doubt that I could ever afford to shoot out a cast or forged frame 1911 in my lifetime. Probably be hard pressed to do it in 2.

Prices being as close as they are, I would stick to the forged frame Springfield models. Nothing against the cast frame, but why spend the same on something that is made as a cheaper alternative to the forged frame that the design was originally intended as.

Top Bottom