• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Might have been asked before... probably by me. I think I have alzhimers but I can't remember.

Is it possible to remove or replace the whole assembled slide (barrel,flg,recoil spring and bushing) on a 1911the way you can a S&W or other semi auto? Without damage?

My mind is fiddled since I cannot remember why it wouldn't be possible. My inner self says no but of course my doubtful side says why not? Rather then tear it down and try to reassemble I figured I would bug you guys.lol

Morning INGO welcome to stupid noob, tricks and tips hotline.lol

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    As long as it is a 1911 slide, it can be done. There will probably be fitting that is needed though and it isn't recommended by novices. I wouldn't do it unless you really need that other slide on there.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    You thought I meant replace as in new. I mean remove the whole upper assembly as a unit for a quick field strip.
    As long as it is a 1911 slide, it can be done. There will probably be fitting that is needed though and it isn't recommended by novices. I wouldn't do it unless you really need that other slide on there.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    no...that shouldn't be done. You have to remove the spring plunger first before you remove the slide lock pin...this allows the slide to come off and the recoil spring and guide rod to come out.

If you try to take out the slide lock pin first and remove the slide first the assembly can "explode" in your hand. Because the slide lock pin locks the barrel in place it is different that say a Sig or Berretta....

I do not suggest you do this

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    no...that shouldn't be done. You have to remove the spring plunger first before you remove the slide lock pin...this allows the slide to come off and the recoil spring and guide rod to come out.

If you try to take out the slide lock pin first and remove the slide first the assembly can "explode" in your hand. Because the slide lock pin locks the barrel in place it is different that say a Sig or Berretta....

What are you calling the spring plunger, the recoil spring plug (cap)? The pistol most certainly can be taken down with the upper as one piece, especially if you have a full length guide rod, and it can be done with the standard short recoil spring guide rod, all that needs to be done is to place your hand on the bottom of the receiver when you slide the upper off so the recoil spring doesn't try to escape.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009

Oh my,I've been doing it wrong for 30 years:D

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Although it can be physically done...I still stand by the fact that I wouldn't reccomend it....the spring and barrel and guide rod aren't locked the same as in other models and as noted you have to hold the bottom together...I think that it is a risky thing to do and suprised that if it as as easy as just pulling out the slide stop pin, why none of the manufacturers recomend this method in their instruction manual. Every manual I have ever looked at instructs you to take the recoil spring tension off first before removing the slide stop pin...:twocents:

But to each his own....do as you please:)::):

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Anything is possible.

It may be possible, but I would not do it. I've never seen anyone take down a 1911 in that fashion. The normal field strip is not that difficult, the more you do it the easier it gets. People have been field stripping the "normal" way for oh, lets say almost a hundred years now.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Although it can be physically done...I still stand by the fact that I wouldn't reccomend it....the spring and barrel and guide rod aren't locked the same as in other models and as noted you have to hold the bottom together...I think that it is a risky thing to do and suprised that if it as as easy as just pulling out the slide stop pin, why none of the manufacturers recomend this method in their instruction manual. Every manual I have ever looked at instructs you to take the recoil spring tension off first before removing the slide stop pin...:twocents:

But to each his own....do as you please:)::):
    I don't recommend it without having a FLGR, but that is not what the man asked, he asked,
    Is it possible to remove or replace the whole assembled slide (barrel,flg,recoil spring and bushing) on a 1911the way you can a S&W or other semi auto? Without damage?
    The answer is yes to both questions.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    The normal field strip is not that difficult, the more you do it the easier it gets. People have been field stripping the "normal" way for oh, lets say almost a hundred years now.
    Yes the "normal" way is easier with a standard GI recoil spring guide, it is not easier than taking the slide, barrel etc., off as one unit IF the pistol has a FLGR. People haven't been field stripping the 1911 with a FLGR for almost a hundred years now, though.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Was more concerned with speed of caliber conversion swaps or the carbine conversion.

Instead of having a bag full of loose parts. Instead just a complete "upper" wrapped in a gun sock. I imaginethey dont offer the option in a manual because 500 people a day would call them complaining. No no no you're doing it all wrong. For 100 years we are doing it the way JB intended and since he built the frackin thing he should know. Lol

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have been removing the complete slide assembly for 30yrs. Remove the slide stop and slide the slide assy forward while placing my hand around the slide to hold the recoil spring and guide. Works with or w/o flgr.

MagillaG67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Ed Brown's 1911 Bench Reference shows removal as a whole. They also have a video on YouTube covering Basic disassembly,reassembly, and maintenance of an Ed Brown 1911. & demonstrate both ways.

Top Bottom