• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Okay so I've did some searching around and think I know where I need to go from here but just want to check.

1) extractor tension appears to pass shake test with live round.
    2) extractor does not rotate

So I am left with thinking the ejector needs some tuning. Here are some relevant pictures:

DSC02606.jpg

DSC02610.jpg

DSC02614.jpg

I believe I need to file this face a little farther back or maybe make the angle slighty larger compared to vertical. Any thoughts?

angle.jpg

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Almost anything you do should change it, If you mess up the ejector they are pretty easy to replace. I have heard that the ejector should have a slight curve to it and there is even a special tool to bend it. I cut down the ejection port about 1/8 of an inch and that made lot a lot more consistent but I still get one in the face or down my shirt. The 4 in. Kimber I have throws them forward about 3 feet most of the time.

Might want to have a "smith" look it over in person.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Very gently reprofiling of the ejector worked for me the second time (i.e., don't take off too much. It is easier to shoot a few rounds and take a few more strokes with the file than to try to put metal back on) when my Series 80 was putting spent brass on top my head.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    i guess it just started doin' this?......has it had recoil springs changed?..90 series then.....i have one..

Nope its done it sporadically since new. Last range trip I didn't wear my hat though and now have some boo-boos to show for it. Guns runs 100% otherwise just need to get this resolved.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    There's a ton of information on tuning the ejector out there, but you might seriously consider swapping yours out for an extended length version to get the ejection cycle started earlier.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    mine started to do it after 1200 rds......changed the recoil springs to these....Springs for COLT DEFENDER Semi-Auto Pistols

it slows the slide down and the empty case doesn't hit the slide as hard and makes the go to the right than straight up.....go with 19#...

Yeah I am on my second recoil spring assembly (these were recalled). It did it with both units but they were both factory springs. I have spare assemblies but I don't believe that to be the root cause based on what I have read but more of a bandaide fix.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Okay so I've did some searching around and think I know where I need to go from here but just want to check.

1) extractor tension appears to pass shake test with live round.
    2) extractor does not rotate

So I am left with thinking the ejector needs some tuning. Here are some relevant pictures:

I believe I need to file this face a little farther back or maybe make the angle slighty larger compared to vertical. Any thoughts?

angle.jpg

Definitely don't cut at that angle that will almost assuradely send them back at you. This is the angle typically found on old Colts without the extended ejectors and lowered ports so they would eject up and out the top of the pistol. The angle is already okay, you can cut an angled relief on the side though to help them kick sideways. Also, +1 on the recoil spring change. Ejectors are cheap you can always swap this one out that doesn't have that heavy bevel running along the top, that may be part of the problem. Getting the ejector pin out of some of these Colts is often the hard part.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Yeah I am on my second recoil spring assembly (these were recalled). It did it with both units but they were both factory springs. I have spare assemblies but I don't believe that to be the root cause based on what I have read but more of a bandaide fix.

Wolff's are a different animal than Colts stock springs...

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You should always wear protective eye cover. :>)

By thowing its brass in your face it is only telling you it Loves You. You luck dog you.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Got it fixed. A member on another forum sent me a detailed PM on how the ejector needed filed. Basically filed the striking face back some to make it larger and put a slight bevel on the RH side of it. Ejects between 1:30 and 3:30 now instead of 4head:30. See sweet illustration below:

DSC02625.jpg

How about a current pic as well:
    DSC02632.jpg

Top Bottom