• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freddahead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Hammond
    I am trying to tune my Colt Gold Cup Trophy to be a little more tame shooting factory 230 gr fmj. I have the trigger pull down to 2# 10oz. I just don't understand "timing the slide/ hammer stuff". I do have an assortment of springs to use, eg. Recoil, main, and firing pin. But I just can't seem to get the combination right! Any input on a baseline starting point would be nice! Thanks

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    "Taming" recoil is a function of bullet weight and velocity. The heavier the bullet, the more felt recoil for any given bullet speed. Stiffer recoil springs will reduce felt recoil as they require more energy to compress.

Lower the bullet weight to 200 grs or 185 grs and maintain the same speed, you'll also reduce felt recoil. Generally, use the heaviest recoil spring that is capable of allowing the gun to cycle reliably for the given cartridge type that you are utilizing.

I don't see why you'd want a trigger any lighter than you already have. In fact, I might question whether you should have it as light as it is, given your current questions on taming recoil.

freddahead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Hammond
    Thanks Manatee, the trigger pull is not an issue, I was just filling in some background info. I just need a little schooling on the timing issue I'm always reading about. Eg. Recoil / mainspring combinations. I use this gun for target shooting only! Thanks

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    The mainspring does provide resistance, but the biggest bang for the buck is in the recoil spring.

There is much written about 1911's, but most of the nuances are for the geeks or competitive shooters. For a reliably functioning 1911, stick with the formula that says, heavier bullet needs heavier recoil spring.

Grip and stance are the other components of managing recoil.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    The above post has some good information in it . A flat bottom or slightly rounded firing pin stop will help min timing . Also look into main spring and recoil spring weights .As you change 1 probably need to increase the other to maintain balance of the slide on recoil . The 1911 forum has some great smiths to help with your questions.Lots of table top smiths , but as on all forms check out who is giving the advise.
    Good luck region rat.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would shoot myself with that light of a trigger.......I set to 4#8oz for EDC and 3#8oz for steel/pins.....just a personal preference. Fits my rock ape style.

freddahead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Hammond
    Takes a little getting used to, but my other two target pistols are all set about the same. ...Colt Custom Competition 45 and S&W 41

Top Bottom