• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmckee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Marion
    Why does it seem like every time I see someone posting anything about Rock island it's bad? I personally have a rock island 1911 in 45acp and I've never had a problem with it for as long as I've had it. Never had a jam or anything what's everyone's opinions. Just looking for friendly responses.

rdavis006

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    I have one as well. When I first bought I had few failure to feed a quick polish of the feed ramp and have never had another issue

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm one that will bad mouth the RIA and P.I. guns. My opinion comes from ownership of said paperweights.
    Glad you got a good one. Many of us didn't have your luck with them.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Some of it is brand loyalty. Some of it is based on bad experiences by folks that have bought them. And some of it is folks believing what other folks are saying. This is just like any other shopping decision. When I was still new to the gun world and my circle of gun knowledge/exposure was limited, I thought everybody thought Kimbers were to gun to have. It wasn't until I came here and read other folks' experience that my loyalty was damaged. I have a Kimber compact 1911 and other than it not liking steel cased ammo, I never had a problem with it --sort of like your experiences with RI.

Welcome to INGO. There are lots of guys here that shoot a lot more than I do and they have experiences I don't but I've learned who to trust in their opinions. Stick around, it won't take long to figure out who knows what they're talking about.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    There is NO manufacturer with a 100 percent QC and ZERO returns. Every company puts out a lemon here and there. And more lemons show up in threads and on the interwebs than people getting on the net and saying hey I had a good one.

hondaCBR

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Indiana
    A friend of mine has the 22tcm rock island with 9mm conversion. The 9mm had many issues with the ammo we shot that day. So my experience with that was not good. I hear most people are happy with the .45 rock islands

Last edited by a moderator:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A friend of mine has the 22tcm rock island with 9mm conversion. The 9mm had many issues with the ammo we shot that day. So my experience with that was not good. I hear most people are happy with the .45 rock islands

I have a TCM as well. It literally fell apart in my hands at the range.
    I have repaired it. Still unsure of it.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    My compact tactical is accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot. I'm not sure what I would gain by spending more $$$ on a more expensive officer sized 1911. There are several more expensive full sized 1911s that I would like to have, but they are way more $$$.

You probably shouldn't listen to me though..... I'm the guy that loves my Taurus PT-92.

copper145

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Muncie
    Never a single issue with my Tactical. I find it is as accurate as any of my other production 1911's...which is to say more accurate than me for sure!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wow, I was looking at one of these at the gun show in Evansville over the weekend. Glad I didn't pull the trigger on buying one.

As with any RIA gun you can get a good one. Friend has a TCM and we have all shot it. Great fun.....huge muzzle flare when touched off. This is what convinced me to get one. His runs perfectly.....Mine, well, RIA's/Glocks hate the churchmouse.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've owned 3 of the RIA in .45acp. The first one ran great and compelled me to buy a couple more. The second was sent back because it wouldn't cycle occasionally. It came back about the same way. The third one I bought never cycled 2 rounds in succession. It was returned and I received full credit on it.
    Back to the first one that ran great. It was WORN OUT in less than 2,500 rounds. It's in the parts drawer in the barn. The slide is still good. The bulk of the remaining parts are unusable.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't feel like doing a google search, but are the frames made in the Philippines?
    I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

I call them "Island" guns for this reason. I could be wrong but to my knowledge (limited as it is) yes they are made there.

In a 1911 you get what you pay for. Period.
    RIA's can be fair runners and accurate enough. They are fine for the occasional range plinker if you do get a good one.
    That said, the materials (metallurgy) is not good. Spec is all over the charts.
    Run one on a regular basis and run it hard. You will see the lights fade away.

Last edited:

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I say stop looking for the opinions of others to validate you purchase/ownership of a gun. Do your research and once you've made the purchase use the thing as you intend to use it and judge for yourself if it measures up. Does everyone run 10,000 rounds thru every gun they own before being able to say good things about it? I'd say NO! I'd like the time and money to run a gun until it wore out but doubt I ever will have either. But I have guns that I trust and hope to pass down to my son and, allow him not just on sentiment to form his own opinion.

I got a good one, changed slide stop, bobbed the hammer and never a failure since. It runs perfect when I run it.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I don't have a great deal of experience with the RIA 45, but my best friend owns one. We took his (and I used my Colt Double Eagle 45) to do a little target shooting. The gun was as accurate as just about any over the counter 45 I have fired, it had Zero feed issues with ball and small cavity hollow point ammo. The only issues we had were that it wouldn't feed wadcutters or "flying ashtray" style hollow points well. I don't consider this a fault of the firearm, as the Army issue Colt 45's don't feed these well either. I am very sure that with a little polish and feed ramp work this issue could be fixed, but most people don't use this type ammo anyhow.

My son and I have a lot of 45's re-loaded with our own cast bullets, so that's why I found the issue with my friends RIA. Can't speak to the metal used but the fit and finish was quite good for the price point of the gun.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Why does it seem like every time I see someone posting anything about Rock island it's bad? I personally have a rock island 1911 in 45acp and I've never had a problem with it for as long as I've had it. Never had a jam or anything what's everyone's opinions. Just looking for friendly responses.

There is NO manufacturer with a 100 percent QC and ZERO returns. Every company puts out a lemon here and there. And more lemons show up in threads and on the interwebs than people getting on the net and saying hey I had a good one.

My compact tactical is accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot. I'm not sure what I would gain by spending more $$$ on a more expensive officer sized 1911. There are several more expensive full sized 1911s that I would like to have, but they are way more $$$.

You probably shouldn't listen to me though..... I'm the guy that loves my Taurus PT-92.

No matter what you buy someone will come along to say it is junk. No matter how many good ones you get from a manufacturer, eventually you get a lemon from the company.

I am now on my fourth Taurus. The brand is trashed endlessly. Gander Mountain won't even take them on trade. Three of my four had to be sent back for service. The first was repaired perfectly on the first attempt, and is still running strong 1500 rounds later. The second was confiscated as "unrepairable" during the lead-up to the lawsuit over firing when dropped. The third went back twice before it finally began to run properly. The fourth went back once, and then I got a local gunsmith to fix it right. Now, after all the headaches, I have three guns that I know will work. Good guns. But I won't buy another Taurus. My primary EDC is an FNH FNS-9, but I do carry the Taurii occasionally.

Buy the brand you like. Use it. Fix it up. Carry it or just use for range practice. No matter what you say or buy, some one will tell you how stupid you are. Opinions vary, and are as useful as a screen door on a submarine. Trust your own judgement and experience.

Top Bottom