• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    decent gun for the money... while there are better out there, the taurus 1911 has a pretty good value for the price.... and has WAY better quality than taurus's polymer semi auto's... that said, a springfield is roughly the same price for a basic model and will hold its value better and offer a better platform to improve upon if you so decide.

IGW

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    be careful , its an addiction, first the taurus( which is a perfectly fine example of a 1911) then kimber, colt, nighthawk.............$$$$$$$ but you'll smile the whole time

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Picked up a Taurus 1911 in a trade a few months back, functions and fires so good after the 500 rounds I put through it that I sold my loaded Springfield 1911a1.

Loved that Springfield, but love the Taurus better.

decent gun for the money... while there are better out there, the taurus 1911 has a pretty good value for the price.... and has WAY better quality than taurus's polymer semi auto's... that said, a springfield is roughly the same price for a basic model and will hold its value better and offer a better platform to improve upon if you so decide.

IGW

Not to threadjack, but you really need to look at the new Taurus 800 series they have out. Bought a 809 3 weeks ago and I feel it is a awesome firearm.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I carry and compete with a Taurus PT1911. I have to tell you though, out of the box it was a paper weight! The hammer followed the slide every time you would rack it or release it. The first time I had it at an IDPA match, the thumb safety fell off during a course of fire! In fact the pic on my profile shows me shooting the final stage that day with a borrowed Kimber.

I sent it to Taurus and then waited about 6 weeks to get it back. When it did come back it was good to go! The gun has had about 3000 round through it and just keeps chugging.

I have not done anything to the gun but shoot and clean it and it has been VERY reliable. I love the sights! The Heinie 'dot over dot' sights are by far the best I have seen for target aquisition. They are realy fast for me. Mine has the night sights which I also love.

I run Gold Dots for defense with no problems. However last week I tried some Remington Hollow points and they just would not feed. I have not done any ramp work to it so far but will after the state match. I also just bought a Smith & Alexander mag well for it to speed up reloads.

So I guess if you get a good one great! If not you have a little work to do, but once you get it dialed in the PT1911 is really a nice gun. I was worried at first but have not had a bit of trouble with it since.

I also own a Springfield and a Colt Gold Cup. For the $$$, the Taurus will serve you well. Good luck!

jerp239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I have had Colt's, Springfields, Llama's, Armscor, and Taurus and the Taurus is the only one I currently own. I have not had any problems with it and it shoots just as good as the higher end 1911's. Just my :twocents:

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Am I the only one here that HATEs thos straight 8 sights.
    Aligning the sights are fine for me, but I always shoot low.
    I changed the eights on my PT111 milpro for some Wilson 3 dot sights and my problems were solved.
    To each his own but I just can't use 'em.

I am going on this rant because my local shop has a used stainless Taurus 1911 with the cool walnut grips for $650.
    Then I would have to change the sights, so I would end up with over $700 invested.
    Beautiful gun tho'.:rockwoot:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The one I have had only had the Taurus slide, frame and barrel left when I was done with it! :D

Just remember, its a 1911, pure and simple. If you have a part break, dont be a newb and send it back to Taurus: Get the darn 1911 part (something better) and fit it in! :D I see PT1911s show up here and there and if something is wrong, they always want to send it back to Taurus. Dont be a schmuck! :D

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Personally, the two I've seen at my range have been troublesome for the owners. The safety was falling out or engaging during fire and they had hammer issues... Just get one of these and call it a day.

Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.

625 plus shipping and transfer, but it's worth it. Don't cheap out on your guns, ammo, or gunleather.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Am I the only one here that HATEs thos straight 8 sights.
    Aligning the sights are fine for me, but I always shoot low.
    I changed the eights on my PT111 milpro for some Wilson 3 dot sights and my problems were solved.
    To each his own but I just can't use 'em.

Yes I will have to agree that the straight 8 sights suck. I have looked into changing mine but have not done it yet.

You guys are killin' me! lol! :laugh:

It just goes to show it is true: To each his own. You have to use what is best for you.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Not a Taurus fan. You can get the Para GI Expert and Springfield MilSpec under $600, which i believe are better guns.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Not a Taurus fan. You can get the Para GI Expert and Springfield MilSpec under $600, which i believe are better guns.

I've been wanting to try a para. Excellent gun, but 1911 guys don't like how the slide is made and some Paras apparently have had shattered slides, but who knows.

I spent a lot of time looking at 1911s and springfield's current offerings seem pretty top notch and they lack the firing pin safety, I believe, which to me is a big plus. :)

Kw55018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Clay City
    I currently own and carry a PT1911AR and have never had a single problem out of it. My dad also carrys a PT1911 light weight, and we both think they shoot better than my spingfield and colt. As far as the firing pin block, I took it out and removed the hammer stop. Also have a Rock Island Armory Tactical, over 3000 rounds each and for the money some of the best guns out there. IMO.

Top Bottom