• ...and so much more!
  • medic6882

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Demotte
    Hey guys I'll try and keep this short. I just ordered a Remington stainless R1 1911. It hasn't came in yet but I already know I don't like the look of the spur hammer and I was wondering , is it possible to take off the spur hammer and install a skelentolized hammer and if so how challenging is it to do yourself ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    1911s are very user customizable. You should be able to watch a few YouTube videos and do this yourself.

You will want to review how the 1911 trigger works. I think you can get drop in parts to do this. If you needed help bad enough I live in Michigan City and would be happy help.

Congrats on the new firearm!

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Doing a hammer change in and of itself isnt to hard. but the R1 doesn't have a beavertail grip safety does it?
    I dont think a skeleton or commander style will work without a beavertail which is not as easy to install but it can be done

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    1911s are IMO the most customizable handgun platform out there but they arent the easiest to work on. Just study and get the know the in and outs of the designs. I pretty new to the 1911 customizing game but I can tell you the only mistake ive made was due to me not taking my time and not fully understanding the design. Please only watch videos by reputable individuals theres alot of bad advise and practices on youtube,etc. Ill try and post a link to a old video done by wilson combat on building a 1911 that really helped me out.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I have the model of gun that Medic has on order. It's the gun in my avatar pic. They're basically a G.I .45 with a series 80 firing pin block. It does not have a beavertail. My gun had a definite break-in period and my advice would be to wait until it settles down before doing much surgery on it. It's now my favorite of all the handguns I have ever owned and I will leave it totally stock. That gives me an excuse to add a second 1911 that has more of custom features.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Doing a hammer change in and of itself isnt to hard. but the R1 doesn't have a beavertail grip safety does it?
    I dont think a skeleton or commander style will work without a beavertail which is not as easy to install but it can be done

I was unaware that a beaver tail was required. Thanks for that info Allen.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a Remington stainless R1S and love the thing. It's one of my favorite shooters. I still have the spur hammer on mine but I do have a skeletonolized hammer on my Colt with the non-beaver tail grip safety. Whether or not it makes contact depends on the hammer/safety shape. The hammer I have on the DE is a Wilson Combat bulletproof ultralight hammer. If it would make excessive contact, you could always relieve the safety a bit as is done on the beavertail safeties. If you look at the two photos below, you can see how Colt shapes their non-beaver tail grip safety differently than Remington does. I'm guessing you could reshape the Remington safety similar to how Colt does theirs to save the work of a complete beaver tail upgrade.

Top Bottom