• ...and so much more!
  • Bowling_R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Guilford
    Guys help me decide,
    I have a budget of 500.00 dollars to spend out of this years tax return, I have had my sights set on a buddy's Glock 32 with less than 50 rounds down the pipe for 400.00.
    Then I stumble across this Colt 1911 that I can get for 500.00. I know nothing about Colts, I know plenty about the 1911 platform( I have owned 3)
    like 'em, but this seems to be more of a collectible than a "shooter".

Colt details: serial starts out with: 3617**
    finish looks like old and parkerized,i hope I spelled that right.
    overall decent looking gun.

What would you guys do? I am really up in the air on this one?

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    are you wanting this purchase to be for a carry gun and to shoot a bunch or are you ok with buying a safe queen? i dont really know much about the colt 1911s, but it sounds like you dont think you would want to shoot it much by the way you said it may be a collector. either way i dont think it would be a bad purchase, just depends what you are wanting from the gun. good luck in your decision.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I just received back my argentine colt back from vacation in the FWPD evidence room (was stolen 20 yrs ago ,another story) & planning on doing some custom work to it (better sights beavertail, duracoat etc.) Its pretty old (1927-1944) to but the steel is excellant .If you dont mind altering it for carry purposes I would say go for it .Older colts usually need throat & ramp polish for reliability with defense rounds ( hollow points) .The sky is the limit on what you want to have done though when it comes to 1911's .The glock is a good choice for a carry piece ,They are good to go most of the time after after a little break in period. I love the 1911 format in case you couldnt tell but you really need to decide which fits you best

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I just received back my argentine colt back from vacation in the FWPD evidence room (was stolen 20 yrs ago ,another story) & planning on doing some custom work to it (better sights beavertail, duracoat etc.) Its pretty old (1927-1944) to but the steel is excellant .If you dont mind altering it for carry purposes I would say go for it .Older colts usually need throat & ramp polish for reliability with defense rounds ( hollow points) .The sky is the limit on what you want to have done though when it comes to 1911's .The glock is a good choice for a carry piece ,They are good to go most of the time after after a little break in period. I love the 1911 format in case you couldnt tell but you really need to decide which fits you best

did you have to give back insurance money. just curious how that works

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Depends on the insurance co. I had waterfield at the time (out of business) but 3 other guns were recovered before & they explained it as a loss due to burglary ,since I made an effort to lock up guns & the house was was physically broken into .Basically I did the best I could to keep them out so I still get to keep the guns replaced since firearms (or anything ) is rarely recovered & if they are are not in the same shape as when they were stolen ,I dont have to reimburse the insurance .I cant say that every insurance co. is like this .Definatly would discuss this with your home/renters insurance agent about it to see what is covered & what would happen in this case. Sorry not trying to threadjack ,back to the colt or glock thread

Bowling_R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Guilford
    Bought the Colt tonight, now time to start looking into this thing and see just what exactly I have, I'll post pics if their is any interest.

I already own a Glock 22, guess I have to wait a while till I pick up that 32 .

Last edited:

Mossmug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Greene County
    If it is a Colt it was made in 1918.

Google " 1911 serial numbers " and go look . It should have a Colt upper if it has not gone thru a rebuild " AA " stamp ( or others ).:patriot:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Good buy, if it is a 1913 colt and depending on the condition of the gun I would not alter that in anyway. You very well have made the steal of the century. go to USGI - 1911Forum and go to the USGI sub forum, post pics and a description of all that is on the gun (lots of detailed pics) and ask them what you have. A lot of the members are extremely knowledgeable about old Colts and can guide you.

I would love to see some pics also.

Bowling_R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Guilford
    DSCF0739.jpg

DSCF0738.jpg

DSCF0740.jpg

DSCF0746.jpg

DSCF0745.jpg

DSCF0744.jpg

DSCF0743.jpg

DSCF0741.jpg

DSCF0742.jpg

Last edited:

Bowling_R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Guilford
    I found out it's actually a 1918 Colt, Augusta Arsenal rebuild, but everything is correct to the gun but the grips, barrel, and slide stop.

I was told it was Arsenal refinished at Augusta Armory, It looks good and feels great! Also have been informed it was still a great buy.

Pretty cool it's darn near 100 yrs old and still functions.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Massive cool buy brother.I have a weak spot for old 1911's that one is a real nice find .Still would look into having some work done for reliability feeding, maybe new sights (If youre happy with them leave it as is) .Let us know how it shoots

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    I found out it's actually a 1918 Colt, Augusta Arsenal rebuild, but everything is correct to the gun but the grips, barrel, and slide stop.

I was told it was Arsenal refinished at Augusta Armory, It looks good and feels great! Also have been informed it was still a great buy.

Pretty cool it's darn near 100 yrs old and still functions.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

You have a VERY nice 1911 and I wouldn't do anything to it. Regardless of what some say, older 1911s of WWI vintage should not be shot with anything other than standard loads. Metallurgy has advanced considerably in the last 100 years but the steel in old pistols stays old. I wouldn't put any +P rated rounds through it at all. That said, shoot it and take care of it. You got a great deal and a pistol that you can pass on with pride some day. It reminds me of the one I carried in Vietnam. Congrats ! :rockwoot:

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    Stick with Ball ammo. I have a 1945 model 1914 Norwegian. Barrel has almost no rifling left and still shoots great with ball. Congratulations of the buy of a lifetime.

Top Bottom