• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Ok, I just got back from seeing this. Everyone is saying it's a lock for Best Picture and it's one that has to be seen in the theater.

All I can say is OVERRATED.

I mean, it was OK. As others have said, the way it was shot as one continuous scene was very unique and made for a very nice visual. But as far as plot and action? A big meh.

It had a few of the tropes you'd expect to find in a war movie, but there's very little that actually happens. There was a surprise explosion, and the plane crash scene was decent, but beyond that I kept waiting for the actual war parts. I mean there were like 8 explosions in the entire movie. I don't know why anyone would say you "have" to see it on a big screen. Why, to see a giant open field with nothing happening? Or a bunch of guys pushing a truck stuck in the mud?

The ending was never really ever in doubt and I never really felt any suspense for the characters. I really didn't care about the main guy. He had a couple of brief run-ins with German soldiers, but beyond that there just wasn't anything of substance.

It's like when you hear about some great new restaurant that everyone raves about, then you get there, pay $100 for an entree and get served little tiny foo-foo food and leave hungry.

I may be in the minority, but I'd give it a C+ at best. I don't regret seeing it, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again.

After seeing the movie, I'd agree with most of this. I'd rate it a little higher, maybe a B-. The cinematography was excellent, and it had a novelty factor for me because I have never seen a WWI movie before. (Plenty of WWII movies) The plot was decent, but not really a whole lot of action. A little slow at times, despite the "continuous scene" method of filming. Still enjoyed the story. If you go expecting Saving Private Ryan or Hacksaw Ridge levels of action, you are going to be sorely disappointed. I'm glad I went to see it, but doubt that it will join my 4k Blu-Ray collection unless I see it in the bargain bin someday.

Maybe trench warfare is just kinda boring. :):

Top Bottom